PDA

View Full Version : Night Hawk GRP?

Mines13
02-18-09, 08:58
As the title states, I am looking for information regarding the GRP model from Night Hawk Custom. Any opinions on this 1911 from actual owners/users? Seems like it could be a decent buy from a reputable company without spending the full "3 to 5". Your input is is greatly appreciated.

Link to the weapon I am referring too bellow:

http://www.nighthawktactical.com/GRP.html

SCULLY
02-18-09, 11:13
Not sure if you know about the forum with a dedicated "Nighthawk" section, you can talk to GRP owners there, and Larry Lyles from Nighthawk is on the forum also to answer any questions. Hope this helps .............. http://forum.m1911.org/

P.S ...............My Vickers Tactical runs strong and smooth :)

Mike

13F3OL7
02-18-09, 15:39
Never even had the inkling of a problem. I trust mine enough to use it as my CCW. That I think, is the best thing I can say about it.

Federale
02-18-09, 15:57
I've had one that I had built for me in early 2006. Its a bit of a hybrid between the GRP and the Talon. Back then at least you could ask for some personal tweaking and adjustments. I'm not sure it the same holds true now.

I haven't shot it much in the past year, but the round count is somewhere in the range of 4,000 at this point. Its not my carry gun - but that's because policy says so.

I can't recall what were Talon and what were GRP specific features, but the top of the slide is serrated. I got rid of the front slide serrations, added a mag well and removed all the rollmarks. My memory fails me on what else I had them do. Sorry!

But its definitely a shooter. It has been completely reliable and it is very accurate.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/dspipes/1911s/DSC00566.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/dspipes/1911s/IMG_2405.jpg
Wearing black grips and with my Springfield Professional

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have gotten the adjustable sights. The sights have a specific cut which totally limits what you can replace them with. But other than that, I've been very happy with mine.

Littlelebowski
02-18-09, 16:09
I had a Nighthwak Predator. Buy in confidence.

sigmundsauer
02-18-09, 20:56
I owned a GRP. It was swell. Finally had to ditch it because I simply could not acclimate to the Novak Extremeduty adjustable night sights. Something about the protective "ears" that played mind games with me and my ability to acquire a flash sight picture. I prefer a much simpler sight, like the 10-8 or Heine Ledge.

My favorite 1911 is NHC's T3.

Tim

13F3OL7
02-19-09, 02:05
I've had one that I had built for me in early 2006. Its a bit of a hybrid between the GRP and the Talon. Back then at least you could ask for some personal tweaking and adjustments. I'm not sure it the same holds true now.

They still do. My GRP ended up looking like the love child of a 10-8 and GRP.

Federale
02-19-09, 09:55
They still do. My GRP ended up looking like the love child of a 10-8 and GRP.

That's good to know. I've been thinking about getting a matching pistol in a smaller frame. A Bobtailed Talon II with no rollmarks would be cool. So would a T3.

Although I've also thought of getting it build by Springfield to all the Pro's specs but in a smaller size.

I guess I need to save up and make up my mind:).

Sidewinder6
02-19-09, 10:05
Enforcer here. Very happy with it and it is with me 24/7.

http://i43.tinypic.com/6h3l00.jpg

thopkins22
02-19-09, 10:08
If Springfield's custom shop builds the gun will they build it without that silly locking system?

Federale
02-19-09, 10:12
If Springfield's custom shop builds the gun will they build it without that silly locking system?

Yes, I'd imagine they could.

bullitt5172
02-19-09, 11:57
I'll go against the grain and say my two Talons both had issues. I swore off NHC a long time ago. RRA, LBC, WC and SA all make better 1911's in the same price range. YMMV.

ETA: Mine were both early models so they may have the QC under control now. There were a lot of posts over the past year or two on other forums pertaining to QC issues as well. Though not confirmed, word is that 10-8 dropped their signature pistol due to QC problems as well. Take that with a grain of salt.

DBake
02-19-09, 14:45
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/dspipes/1911s/IMG_2405.jpg
Wearing black grips and with my Springfield Professional

What black grips are those on the GRP?

13F3OL7
02-19-09, 15:10
I'll go against the grain and say my two Talons both had issues. I swore off NHC a long time ago. RRA, LBC, WC and SA all make better 1911's in the same price range. YMMV.

ETA: Mine were both early models so they may have the QC under control now. There were a lot of posts over the past year or two on other forums pertaining to QC issues as well. Though not confirmed, word is that 10-8 dropped their signature pistol due to QC problems as well. Take that with a grain of salt.

Just curious as to why you say those other companies make better 1911's. Not trying to be disrespectful, I just honestly want your opinion.

Federale
02-19-09, 15:13
What black grips are those on the GRP?

My recollection is that they're VZ Operator Grips that I had made for the magwell.

DBake
02-19-09, 16:24
My recollection is that they're VZ Operator Grips that I had made for the magwell.

Very nice!

bullitt5172
02-19-09, 17:17
Just curious as to why you say those other companies make better 1911's. Not trying to be disrespectful, I just honestly want your opinion.

I meant no disrespect either, my experience with NHC was not good. My experience with LB, WC and SA has been stellar. NHC seems to have a good following, they must make them right once and a while :p For me there are better choices, that will differ with others.

Sigmax
02-19-09, 20:47
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/mattpoynter/100_0121.jpg

This is my Enforcer, which is the later version of the Vicker's Model. I have run about 4700 through it according to my log book. The last of which being a three day Vickers class. The only problem I had with it I finally linked to out of spec ammo.

Before I realized what the cause truly was I thought I had diagnosed it as extractor tension. Shipped back to NH & Craig looked it over and took it to the range to replicate the FTF. He told me he took Richard Heinie along, who happened to be there that day on one of his monthly visits. He called me soon after they came back and had not been able to replicate the malfunction with 100 assorted rounds and both he and Richard had inspected it.

Only then did I really inspect the ammo, which I should have done to begin with. I switched over to Black Hills & American Eagle, have not had a problem since. All told it was away from me for about a week door to door.

While no gun builder is perfect I have been pretty happy with my small sample size of 1. As a competing experience I have been helping a friend of mine with his LB that was returned for a myriad of problems & has taken months back and forth which is very atypical for a company with their reputation.