PDA

View Full Version : Duracoat and buffer tube

VonMockenheimer
02-18-09, 14:08
I'm just getting into finally modding my m4 and i was wondering if the buffer tube of my bushmaster will stand up to the 180 degree bake in my oven im sure it will but id like some knowledgeable answers. also i want to duracoat the lower portion of my glock 22 (everything except the slide) will it stand up to the temperature as well? thanks guys. im brand new to the site but have used the forum for some time now and it is truly helpful.

kwelz
02-18-09, 18:35
I can think of no rason that a buffer tube would not stand up to the heat of duracat cureing

seb5
02-18-09, 18:43
The tube will be fine but consider that the stock being adjusted in and out will have a serious impact on the look of that tube fairly quickly. If you're one who puts your stock in the position you like and leave it there then you will be fine.

VonMockenheimer
02-18-09, 23:48
what about the self lubricating duracoat it says its made for that type of situation. and do ya have any idea about the glock?

CHoffman
02-19-09, 02:26
Any finish will wear eventually, just depends on how hard you use it. I would be willing to bet the Duracoat will come off the frame rails on the Glock in short order but you will probably only notice it when field stripped. When carrying you may bump the heel of he grip on something and it could get scratched, holster wear at the high points and edges, and so on. Just depends on how hard you use it like I said earlier. As to the buffer tube I concur with seb5's comments. Depends on how often you adjust the stock.

VonMockenheimer
02-19-09, 02:31
thanks hoffman so im assuming that you think the polymer lower will hold up in the oven to cure the duracoat? Yea i can always put the duracoat a little thicker in the high wear areas too. thanks again

CHoffman
02-19-09, 08:38
I know of people who have baked Magpul plastic parts at low heat (~200*F) that have had good results so I would say yes. Just keep a close eye on it.