PDA

View Full Version : Possible Malf. issues with Safariland ALS Holsters

SWATcop556
02-18-09, 23:12
While at briefing today an Administrative Message was posted regarding the Safariland ALS Holsters from the Texas DPS Austin Headquarters. I typed the message as it was posted verbatim

"This is a notice to all Law Enforcement Agencies using the Safariland ALS Holsters.

Provo Police Department, in Provo, Utah has experienced malfunctions with Safariland ALS Holsters. Officers experience failures when shooting prone and gravel was introduced into the body of the holster. Gravel became trapped behind the ALS mechanism causing a re-holstered pistol to lock inside the holster. When this happened the pistol could not be removed from the holster without specialized tools. This failure occured with 58% of the ALS equipped holsters while training officers in specific gun fighting drills on the ground.

Provo Police Department has made Safariland aware of this issue."

I don't know how many holsters equals 58% but I definitely thought this info was worth passing on since I know several members of the forums use the ALS holster for duty.

Just a friendly heads up.

NCPatrolAR
02-19-09, 07:56
first I've heard of this. I wonder what kind of drill they were doing.

markm
02-19-09, 07:59
I've had brass drop down in the holster in the trigger guard areawhere I couldn't get to it. But that just caused me to be unable to fully reholster.

SWATcop556
02-19-09, 23:57
Our SWAT team was recently issued the ALS holsters for our drop legs. Our range is pretty rocky and sandy and I have climb, rolled, and John-Woo style flipped all over that place and haven't had any issues............yet. :D

That being said I have switched back to the tried and true 6004 until I can further test the ALS system. Short of filling my holster with dirt and rocks, I haven't had any issues.

CarlosDJackal
02-20-09, 12:28
Verrrry interesting!! 58% is a pretty high failure rate. Where they pouring sand into the damned thing?

But fortunately for me, I have not gotten around to buying an ALS holster because I have yet to come across one for a Glock 34 w/a TLR-1 light attached.

MarshallDodge
02-20-09, 13:18
Where they pouring sand into the damned thing?

Ever heard of the Great Salt Lake? ;)

I don't think they were necessarily pouring it in, just rolling around caused the issue. I am not familiar with the area that Provo PD practices but there are some areas of Utah that have lots of sand, including some serious sand dunes. Where I live is very sandy.

shooter521
02-20-09, 13:57
But fortunately for me, I have not gotten around to buying an ALS holster because I have yet to come across one for a Glock 34 w/a TLR-1 light attached.

Per my conversation with a Safariland rep, they're supposed to introduce that very model in the near future. It was supposed to be out in December but got pushed back so that other projects could get finished in time for SHOT.

John Hearne
02-20-09, 21:13
I think it's important to remember that anything that has moving parts can stop working if you jam stuff into it. The ALS holster relies on an arm moving into and out of the barrel hood. If something prevents the arm from moving then the holster will lock it up. The same problem has been documented with the Blackhawk Serpa. I'm even familar with a case where a 6280 was locked up my desert crud in the mechanism.

The other big question is whether the range drill that caused the malfunction replicates a real world scenario in any reasonable fashion. I do know that the ALS is an awesome security system in terms of balancing weapons access and draw speed. This is just anohter argument for a BUG.

96GTS
02-21-09, 19:39
I really wanted an ALS, but they don't make them for the USP, with or without the x300. So I'm sticking with the 6285. Even if I DID have an ALS unit, I wouldn't be to worried about it in our urban environments...

Mr.Goodtimes
05-18-09, 00:21
i really wanted an ALS too, but i ended up getting a SERPA for my beretta 92. aparently they dont make an ALS for the 92 :confused:

NCPatrolAR
05-18-09, 01:02
i really wanted an ALS too, but i ended up getting a SERPA for my beretta 92. aparently they dont make an ALS for the 92 :confused:

They do; I bought mine about 3 months ago.

CarlosDJackal
05-18-09, 17:22
Per my conversation with a Safariland rep, they're supposed to introduce that very model in the near future. It was supposed to be out in December but got pushed back so that other projects could get finished in time for SHOT.

Let's hope so. I wonder how near that future is? :p