PDA

View Full Version : Illinois House committee recommends concealed weapon law

Buckaroo
02-19-09, 12:08
Great news for those outstate but I assume that this will allow home-rule if it ever does pass.

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2009/02/19/updates/breaking_news/doc499d8438cb351338821942.txt

SPRINGFIELD | A state House panel is recommending that the General Assembly give Illinois residents the right to carry concealed weapons.

The proposals are expected to garner opposition from Chicago-area lawmakers, who have expressed concern about increased gun violence

Supporters of a concealed weapon law say the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling last summer overturning a handgun ban in Washington D.C., and an endorsement of concealed carry by the Illinois Sheriffs' Association gives a boost to their efforts.

House Bill 245, sponsored by Marion Democratic Rep. John Bradley, would allow the Illinois State Police to issue the permits. It was endorsed Wednesday on an 11-1 vote, with Democratic state Rep. Julie Hamos of Evanston the lone opponent.

House Bill 462, sponsored by state Harrisburg Rep. Brandon Phelps, would allow county sheriffs to issue permits.

MisterWilson
02-19-09, 12:21
Last sentence: allow or require?

Or are they already a "may issue" state and are trying to move to a "shall issue" one?

Buckaroo
02-19-09, 12:32
Last sentence: allow or require?

Or are they already a "may issue" state and are trying to move to a "shall issue" one?

There is currently no CCW permit available in IL. It will be earth shattering if this passes. As I stated earlier I bet they will have to have a home-rule provision that will allow Mayor Daley to keep his citizens un-armed. If this passes it would leave only WI with no permit option.

Buckaroo

jhurt
02-19-09, 13:27
As a lifetime resident of Illinois and a police officer in Illinois I can say: This will never happen. Daley and the A-Holes from Chicago will never allow it and make no mistake, they control the state. There are EXTREMELY limited provisions for concealed carry in this state, none of which provide citizens in general with their RIGHT-except for Chicago alderman which had themselves classified as "conservators of the peace" and can carry within city limits.

A-Bear680
02-19-09, 13:29
Here's some background:
www.wikipedia.com

Type in: Concealed carry in the United States ( Case sensitive).

Check out the animated map. Wik's not perfect , but it has some quality control
standards that help to sort out error-net drivel.

Here's another page-- Type in: Castle doctrine in the United States ( Case sensitive).

MarshallDodge
02-19-09, 13:35
I lived in Illinois for 20 years and I remember this coming up many times in the 90's and getting squashed. The endorsement from the Sherriff's association is HUGE.

The folks in Illinois need to keep the pressure on. If there is anything I can do from out here let me know.

Seth Harness
02-19-09, 14:19
As a lifetime resident of Illinois and a police officer in Illinois I can say: This will never happen. Daley and the A-Holes from Chicago will never allow it and make no mistake, they control the state. There are EXTREMELY limited provisions for concealed carry in this state, none of which provide citizens in general with their RIGHT-except for Chicago alderman which had themselves classified as "conservators of the peace" and can carry within city limits.

Im in Illinois as well and Im glad to see that an LEO is indorsing this. I dont feel the need to carry, but I think the right to carry should be passed. I see absolutely no problem with this.
I would love to see a seperation of Chicago from the rest of the state of Illinois. Didnt New York do something like this???
Chicago does the rest of our state no justice what so ever.

jhurt
02-19-09, 14:39
Most police officers have a lot of common sense...many of them I know support the RIGHT to carry. Unfortunately it seems that as soon as they get above the rank of Sgt most turn political, hence the reason my chief has included our dept in the list of police departments in Il that oppose CCW and support the renewal of the dark ages.
There are however officers I work with that really have no idea whats going on and forget that just 5 years ago the chief wouldn't sign a letter allowing them to buy a spare magazine for their glock. We were talking in roll call about the possibility of an outright ban on mag capacity, etc. I asked "Just who do they think is going to go knock on doors and take people's guns?" The ranking supervisor said "If your ordered to do it your just going to do it."..