PDA

View Full Version : Smith 908 vs 3913

signal4l
02-19-09, 18:17
I was wondering if one of our S&W experts could let me know the difference between the two pistols? My understanding is that the 908 is blued and has non Novak (plastic??) sights. Are the internal parts the same quality??

NCPatrolAR
02-19-09, 18:31
I was wondering if one of our S&W experts could let me know the difference between the two pistols? My understanding is that the 908 is blued and has non Novak (plastic??) sights. Are the internal parts the same quality??

There are a few differences between the two. The 908 is a part of Smith's value line series which is basically versions of their high end pistols with less features and/or cheaper parts (to a degree). As an example, the 3913 has ambi safeties, metal Novak sights, metal guiderod and internals, etc. The 908 has a single side safety, plastic mag release, plastic guiderod, some internals are plastic on the 908, etc.

I have a 908 and dont really see a need in getting a 3913, though I would pick one up if a great deal presented itself.

Beat Trash
02-20-09, 08:50
In addition, the 908 has a few less contours cut into the slide. This does not affect function, but is alleged to save a few bucks in the manufacturing process, hence making the 908 cheaper also.

If you like the gun, and there was a substantial difference in the price, I'd go with the 908.

I have a 3919 I bought about 15 years ago. It was my off-duty weapon for a long time. One of the first 3913's to use MIM parts in the hammer area. Our armors took it apart to see the "New MIM parts", the first day I took it to our training facility. While they made fun of my pistol (everyone's a comedian!) they stoned here, polished there.

This gun has a trigger that you would have to shoot to believe! If I posted how accurate it was from a bench at 25 yds, I'd be accused of lying. Even though I have moved onto the Glock 19, and then the M&P's over the years, I still have this 3913. No plans on selling either...

signal4l
02-20-09, 11:27
Thanks for the info

tpd223
02-23-09, 03:53
If you will be carrying close to the body then go with the stainless gun is my very strong recommendation.

We used to have guys carry the 908 here when we had to carry S&W 9mms. The blued parts rust badly and require a great deal of care.

I know that all steel guns can rust, even stainless steel guns, but the blue steel used in the S&W value gunns sees particularly prone to rusting badly and pitting.
I have no idea why, just an observation over the years.

MX5
02-25-09, 14:03
The 908 is in S&W's 'value line' & is a more economical version of the 3913/3914 platform. Many people will tell you this is a 'cheaper' version & this is partially true as it is cheaper in price. Most of the changes S&W made to this, over the 3913/3914, were made to reduce the cost to manufacture. They eliminated the front strap & trigger guard checkering, installed a plastic version of the Novak sights, eliminated the R-side of the ambi slide control, performed fewer machining operations on the slide & changed the exterior finish slightly. There was also a change to the mag release button & on the 908 this is a permanently installed part. If you remove it on the 908, you have to replace it with a new one. Better to just leave it alone.

Some people say that all the internal parts are different & cheaper, but that is simply not true. Most of the internals are the same, are interchangeable & some share the same part number. If you can find a new or used version of the 3913/3914 or 908 & money is not the deciding factor, choose the 3913/3914 because you get more features over the 908. However, on the used market, the 908 is usually substantially lower priced.

The 3913/3914 came from the factory with excellent Novak sights. The 908 comes from the factory with wider dovetails & S&W's plastic version of a Novak sight. The plastic ones have 3 dots that can be 'charged' briefly using a bright flashlight. If upgrading to tritium night sights, there's only 1 company making them for the 908; Trijicon.

The SA reset on most of these pistols is very short for a traditional DA/SA type action. An experienced pistolsmith familiar with these guns can smooth the action dramatically.

Here's a 'melted' 908 for daily carry:2013

NCPatrolAR
02-25-09, 18:22
Novak makes sights for the 908 also

MX5
02-26-09, 13:20
I called Novak & they do not make sights for the S&W 908 - it has a much wider dovetail than typical 3rd gen Smiths. Only Trijicon is making tritium night sights for this gun. On the photo I posted earlier is a set of the Trijicons.

NCPatrolAR
02-26-09, 22:05
I called Novak & they do not make sights for the S&W 908 - it has a much wider dovetail than typical 3rd gen Smiths. Only Trijicon is making tritium night sights for this gun. On the photo I posted earlier is a set of the Trijicons.

They must have stopped. I sent a 908 slide to Novak and had sights placed on it about 2 years ago.

ST911
02-28-09, 18:03
I'm generally not a fan of S&W 3rd generation autos, with certain exceptions, but this thread made me miss my 3913 a bit.

I may have to acquire another.

sjc3081
02-28-09, 19:37
Here is my 3913. She always goes bang.

rickyc
09-07-16, 23:47
I'm generally not a fan of S&W 3rd generation autos, with certain exceptions, but this thread made me miss my 3913 a bit.

I may have to acquire another.

What is the difference between Gen. 1, 2, and 3? I had a 39-2 years ago.

Are Mod. #s starting with 3 (3913,3914, etc.) Gen 3? Thanks - Rick