PDA

View Full Version : LEE 50th ANNIVERSARY KIT

HTTTRH
02-19-09, 19:33
I am easing myself into reloading my own ammo, Im just starting to buy the books and learn the ins and outs. I was wondering if anyone can kind of guide me to the light. Im really only concerned with reloading 223 and later on .40 but right now .223. Id like to get some insight to the equipment side of things and was wondering how the LEE 50th ANNIVERSARY KIT rated.

I also dont need to be handling multiple bullets the one load at a time is fine with me. Id like not to spend a fortune but I usually like to buy a quality product. So please if anyone has some time for me the newhead in reloading tell me what to stay away from and what to look for. IE: type of primer, bullets, powder, and hardware. I have read alot here but its hard to nail the bare bones of it all down. Any help is hugely apprecaited!

Steve

jmart
02-19-09, 22:27
The Lee Anniversary kit will include just about everything you'll need to load safe, quality ammunition. You'll need to add a case trimmer pilot for the .223 (I wouldn't worry about the .40 brass). Also get a manual or two.

Maybe a better option for you would be Lee's Turret Press kit. A little better at production, includes better measure for the .40 and ball powders that will also work fine for .223 with a double disk kit and a Rifle Charging Die. Still a very safe press that allows you to concentrate on just a single operation with each pull of the handle.

Powder choices for .223 will depend on bullet weights. If loading 55/62 grain ball, I'd recommend a ball powder; H335, Ramshot TAC, AA2230. If loading heavy weight bullets, then you could either use the TAC or also consider a number of extruded powders, Varget, RL-15, H4895.

I've never laoded .40, but just consult a manual, I'm sure there are reams of data published, and it all works.

MarshallDodge
02-19-09, 22:37
I started out on the Lee kit, bought my first one in the early 90's. It has been a decent press for the $$$. I broke one of the aluminum links sizing some tough 30-06 brass once. $1.50 + shipping and I was back in business and I think they have beefed up those parts on the newer models.

You should do fine with loading 223 and 40 but I am with Jmart on the Turret press. Keeping an AR and semi-auto pistol fed takes a lot of work on a single stage.

Stay away from Lee's progressive presses.

ra2bach
02-20-09, 01:05
absolutely the best choice you can make to get involved in reloading. the Lee Anniversary Kit, or another like it, is the best thing you can do to learn ammo making correctly, one step at a time.

all the stuff you get in the kit is good solid quality, and all you will ever need, even if you progress past it and end up wanting something more/better/faster.

and fwiw, you will ALWAYS want a single-stage press around, even if you grad to bigger better things.

let me know if you have questions...

HTTTRH
02-20-09, 06:04
Thanks to all of you, Im diving in now. Im ordering the equipment and will be back here with questions Im sure and I will let you know how things are going.

Buck Ofama......thats great