PDA

View Full Version : Eye protection for glasses?

Gentoo
02-19-09, 20:51
What is the best solution for eye protection for people who wear glasses?

marty
02-19-09, 21:12
see goggle post in the tactical section

Paladin4415
02-19-09, 21:43
I use a pair of Revision Sawfly's with the Rx carrier. I wear them everyday and am very happy with them.

http://www.revisioneyewear.com/sawfly.html

ChristopherM4
02-19-09, 21:49
I have some Oakley X with prescription lens in them. They are good and seal around the eye pretty well. This year i plan on getting a set of Rudy Projects with the Rx inserts.

Topher

crusader4x
02-20-09, 00:50
ESS Ice glasses with their Rx insert are what I use.
Best part is that the same Rx insert also works with the ESS Profile NVG goggles.

Gentoo
02-20-09, 01:44
Thanks for the responses.

Looks like the ESS and Revisons are around the same price at Optics Planet.

How is the comfort with them when wearing ear muffs?

chadbag
02-20-09, 03:53
before I had Lasik, I wore Wiley-X Romer 2 glasses with prescription safety lenses in them as well as Wiley-X SG-1 with prescription safety lenses in them...

(I know wear the a different Romer 2 with standard lenses).

Chad

Jay870
02-20-09, 07:19
Thanks for the responses.

Looks like the ESS and Revisons are around the same price at Optics Planet.

How is the comfort with them when wearing ear muffs?

I wear ESS Ice with their Rx inserts. Aside from one 11 hour day on the range working as an RO at Area 5 last year I've never experienced any discomfort wearing them with muffs. The bows are fairly broad and flat, so as long as your muffs have a good soft seal they shouldn't create much of a pressure point.

I looked into getting a set of Rudy Project Rydons with their ballistic Rx lenses until I found out that they would run in excess of $400 and Rudy Project's "warranty" on their Rx lenses sucks (unlike their policy on their non-Rx lenses which is really good). That is the nice thing about the insert system... the outer lense takes all the abuse and is inexpensive to replace as needed. The trade off is you have the slight optical distortion of looking through two sets of lenses.

One other comment... if you have a narrow face look at the "Naro" version of the ESS Ice product. I have the "regular" size and they are a little big on my face. They both use the same Rx insert, so before next shooting "season" starts I'm going to order the "Naro" frame & lenses and see if they fit a little better.

skipper49
02-20-09, 08:18
Wiley X's and others like them with the RX insert work well enough and are good quality. They do however require you to look through two layers of lens and are a little aggravating to clean. Another good solution is to use a good, full coverage RX-ABLE, shooting glass frame and having your prescription( in Poly-carb,of course) installed. This would NOT be a good solution if you are over a plus 2.00 or minus 4.00 diopter RX. YMMV

Skip

mrjones
02-20-09, 09:13
I have a pair of prescription Oakleys (Bottlecap) that are without a doubt the best optical device I have ever looked through. They're absolutely perfect from edge to edge, there's no distortion, and no eye strain. The downside is that you have to order them from Oakley directly, and production time is about a month. They cost me around $400. And if regular thickness Oakley polycarb lenses are rated for impact protection, these are several times thicker, so they should be that much more effectice. I'm a photographer by trade, and I have zero complaints about them.

I also have some ESS Advancer goggles with the Rx insert that I can't stand, and will only use if I'm in imminent danger of being in a cloud of smoke. The distortion is maddening, and they're supposedly the exact same prescription.

murphy j
02-20-09, 10:07
I wore the Revision Sawfly with prescription insert carrier and had issues with distortion caused by the main lens. I had to have the RX changed twice :(. Next time I'll try the Oakleys that have the built in prescription lens in them.