PDA

View Full Version : New trigger parts, what do you do to them?

Glockster35
12-11-06, 08:40
I was thinking today that I would like to smooth out the trigger on my Bushmaster lower.

Does anyone have a link to a page detailing where to smooth or anything similar?

I have a dremel and Flitz and some fine crocus cloth to assist me.

Thanks!

deadwood83
12-11-06, 20:14
Buy a hammer block and repeatedly dry fire the lower while applying extra forward pressure on the hammer. It kinda is a super-wear-and-tear proceedure making the period where the components polish themselves much shorter.

I tried the whole do to the parts phase and ended up ruining the parts. I replaced the group with a JP single stage kit and it is DIVINE. They make a wonderful single stage set-up. I have no experience with the new Timney AR trigger so i can't speak for it but the JP is absolutely divine.

Low Drag
12-11-06, 20:56
I put a Rock River Arms NM trigger in my BM and love it.

Glockster35
12-11-06, 23:04
I know one thing for sure, I am buying the Superior Arms lower next go around. The extra screw in the pistol grip area should take all the creep out. I can see a new trigger set up in the future for this lower.

I polished all the areas on the stock trigger tonight, and it is much smoother than it was previously.

I wasn't expecting much from the polishing, but what I got is more than I had hoped!

deadwood83
12-12-06, 19:27
be veeeeeeeeeeeeery careful when you next go shooting! The part you most likely removed is the anodizing which protects the soft insides of the trigger. In the future there is the possibility that your trigger will fail and the rifle will have problems. serious problems. possibly illegal problems. I'm not saying it's a guarantee but just something to be aware of. If you used any compound to polish it then most likely the anodizing is gone.

Glockster35
12-12-06, 21:16
I don't think I removed anywhere near enough to get past the anodizing on any of the pieces I polished.

Matter in fact, I made sure there were still some tooling marks remaining.

deadwood83
12-13-06, 23:15
alright. just wanted to err on the safe side. when I polished mine I gave it the whole bolt action/10-22 style trigger job where you polish until you can count pores in your reflection. The trigger pull was amazing... for about 30 shots. then things went bad.

Is it just me or is a good single-stage trigger like a lot more comfortable than a double-stage? Probably just me as until I got a 10/22 and an AR I was raised on Brownings, Remingtons, Weatherbys, and Henrys.

If you want to fiddle with creep, some suggest trying this special grip-screw that has an extended portion to lift the trigger and eliminate creep. I think they are priced about 10 bucks. Don't take my word on it though. I went the sissy way out and bought a JP.:D

K.L. Davis
12-13-06, 23:44
Trigger parts are MIM (or playdoh parts) and they have a very thin case hardening to them -- it is easy to break through and the parts are ruined once that happens.

Changing the engagement angle of parts is something that should be left to a professional 'smith and (imho) not something that is needed on with the aftermarket options out there.

If you want a crisp trigger for accuracy, I have to say that the Timney drop in is one of the nicest parts going, the price is reasonable... but again, I consider it an accuracy enhancement that has a home in some rifles, but not all.

Most AR triggers get better with time... as they wear is -- a common trick for triggers is to accelerate the wear by jacking the trigger while dry firing, you can search google for the well known "15 minute trigger job" if you just have to tinker with it... but I find that good parts and range time make for a very practical trigger on most guns.