PDA

View Full Version : Clipdraw ?

MeanRider
02-20-09, 10:50
I have been trying to decide on a carry rig for my 642 other than a pocket holster which I have. Saw the clip draw and was wondering how many have tried this, and whether it is worth it. http://www.clipdraw.com

Jason Burton
02-20-09, 11:13
Get a holster... seriously, get a holster. ;)

I tried the clipdraw, and in all reality I probably had my mind made up before hand, but either way I just never got that warm fuzzy feeling of security and safety that I get from a proper holster.

Depending on what position you may want to carry the gun at there are quite a few good holsters that would likely suit you needs. Lou Alessi makes a very workable appendix rig (the APX) along with his very functional and simple Talon series holsters which are worn in a conventional IWB position.

Other good J-frame IWB rigs are the venerable Sparks Summer Special and currently my pal John Ralston at 5 Shot Gunleather is working on adapting his IBS IWB to the J-frame as well as an appendix position version.

In my opinion there are just too many good holsters available to make relying on the clipdraw an option for me. Just my $0.02...

HowardCohodas
02-20-09, 12:02
I EDC an M&P 45fs in a SmartCarry holster. The only carry mode where I find the SmartCarry ineffective is driving. I added the universal Clipdraw to my M&P so that I can carry IWB at 10:00 for a cross draw while carrying. I like this carry position as it has easy access in the seated position, does not have to cross the driving wheel while engaging via the drivers window and keeps it away from passenger hands whether child, friendly adult or adult of unknown reliability.

The universal model has the additional advantage of permitting the user to place it on the gun for best advantage to him. For me, I position it so that it is balanced to point the muzzle toward the center of the earth. This minimized movement by using center of gravity to advantage. Second, I position it so that the trigger guard is covered by my belt. The thickness of my pants plus the thickness of my belt provides as much or more protection from activating the trigger as any other non-plastic holster.

If I wanted to guild the Lilly, I could even exchange my 10 round magazine with the 14-round magazine that I carry as a spare in the SmartCarry holster. I don't, but I could. If I did, I probably would want to adjust the position of the clip to adjust for the change of center of gravity.

When I shoot a competition using my Blade-Tech IDPA compliant OWB holster, I have to remove the part of the clip that screws into the part that is bonded to the gun.

I wouldn't worry about the adhesive giving way as, I believe it is the same that helps hold some airplanes together. Yet is easy to remove by pealing so it can be moved or removed. I have had this installed in the same position for over 10 months and have removed the top half of the clip on numerous occasions without any indication that the bond was not still secure.

One last benefit to both the SmartCarry and the Universal ClipDraw is that I can carry with the Procyon weapon light attached.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj274/HowardCohodas/Gun%20Stuff/MP45FS-Procyon-Side.jpg

Ttwwaack
02-21-09, 12:36
If you are not working UC and for regular carry, shop around and get a comfortable holster. I carried at 4:00 occassionally years ago working and gave it up (safety/maintenance). A co-worker had the grip clip which was convienant but trying to shoot with it was impossible because the raised area in the grip for the clip conflicted with the R/index for DBL action fire.

desertram800
02-22-09, 02:35
I've got a clipdraw on my Glock 23 and I love it. I still fits in all of my kydex holsters as well. I wear boardshorts most of the time, so that means no belt.

sigmundsauer
02-22-09, 13:10
I've been carrying a 342PD on a Clipdraw for 6 years now. It is my "always gun." Exceedingly comfortable, disappears on my belt line with any shirt on, and with the DA revolver, safe. The 342PD is light enough to carry in boxer shorts or pajamas around the house, which I am rumored to do. :D

Tim

Thermodyn
03-11-09, 06:37
I've been carrying a 342PD on a Clipdraw for 6 years now. It is my "always gun." Exceedingly comfortable, disappears on my belt line with any shirt on, and with the DA revolver, safe. The 342PD is light enough to carry in boxer shorts or pajamas around the house, which I am rumored to do. :D

Tim

I've been doing the same w/my 642 (per sigmundsauers advice) for almost a year. I was resistant to the idea at first as I have been carrying a pistol in a strong side hip holster, nearly everyday for 17 years now. Was hard to get used to at first, but is quite comfortable, secure and accessible. I still carry my primary in a leather belt scabbard, but the 642 w/clipdraw is a great option for when I am "not carrying".