PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler Medium

csun_00
02-20-09, 13:04
I know the standard medium is crushed walnuts. Since those take time to buy and ship I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions on a good medium to use in the meantime. Perhaps one that I could buy locally and would not require shipping. Or is someone can suggest a store that might sell crushed walnuts?

MarshallDodge
02-20-09, 13:20
Finely ground corn cob and some even use white rice. I don't think I would use rice with bottleneck cartridges.

Check your local pet supply store for the corn cob. It needs to be very fine.

markm
02-20-09, 13:25
You can get walnut at the pet store (Petco, etc.). It the lizard bedding. It's dusty though, so you need to run your tumbler with the lid on or add some polish to the stuff to knock the dust down.

Another option is a sand blasting supply store. Someone here suggested this to me. They said the walnut that they sell for blasting is much lower in dust mess.

csun_00
02-20-09, 13:32
Thanks for the quick replies guys. What kind of polish should I use? I was thinking of also running a dryer sheet in with the tumbler to collect the dust and dirt.

MarshallDodge
02-20-09, 13:47
Currently I am using an old bottle of liquid Turtle Wax. I had been using Midway's liquid polish but tried the Turtle wax one day when I ran out. I think the Turtle Wax works better. :cool:

I put two tablespoons in my standard sized tumbler about 2/3 full of media, let it run for a few minutes to disperse, then add the brass.

Someone told me that the polish should be ammonia-free because ammonia will cause corrosion but I am not sure about that. I think Brasso has ammonia in it.

markm
02-20-09, 13:51
Ammonia will deteriorate the brass. But in the diluted amount we're talking about, it's probably negligible. The Brass will be worn out or lost before the small amount of ammonia in the polish ruins it.

I think brasso is effective because it polishes off a thin layer of the brass with each application. Ammonia is used to remove copper fouling from barrels, and Brass has a significant amount of copper in its make up...

tiger seven
02-20-09, 14:06
I buy my crushed walnut media at the pet store too. It's called "Lizard Litter." :)

I also cut up a used dryer sheet into strips and put them in the tumbler with the media and dirty brass, and it does a great job of collecting dust and dirt. I pull the strips out as I'm sifting out the brass. I think it really helps keep both brass and the media cleaner, and helps the tumbling media last longer.

I have never used polish, but the Turtle Wax idea sounds interesting.

Derek

markm
02-20-09, 14:14
I keep seeing this dryer sheet method. I'm going to have to give it a shot.

shadowalker
02-20-09, 14:28
A used dryer sheet or coarse paper towel works wonders for keeping media cleaner, I cut or tear it into about 8 pieces. Since I started using dryer sheets I cycle my media for fun, not because I need to.

Corn cob works very well, it tends to do a better job polishing while Walnut cleans faster, you can use a mixture of both.

I would not use Brasso or any ammonia product on firearm brass, there are better options that don't weaken the brass.

NuFinish car polish is very good and affordable, put a cap or two in and run the tumbler without brass for a few minutes to distribute it. I've found I only have to add NuFinish every few runs. You can use mineral spirits to thin the NuFinish.

dave5339
02-20-09, 19:26
I pick up my walnut media in Missouri from a black walnut processor. They sell it by the 50# bag.

If anyone in the DFW Texas area needs any crushed walnut shoot me a PM. I'm sure we can work something out.

As to polishing compound I use Flitz, seems to work better than most of the other polishes out there. I've yet to try turtle wax however, might have to give that a go on the next batch.

Semper Fi

SMJayman
02-20-09, 22:09
I tried brasso in the tumbler and it didn't work well. At. All. Use something made for the tumbler or some form of car wax.

m4fun
02-20-09, 23:34
I tened to use Corn cob on range brass - gets most of the gunk off of it.

I use walnut media for polishing loaded brass/removing lube. That is just my way. I find it more efficent post decap/trimming to leave the brass lubed and then reload, hence final polish is with loaded rounds.

chadbag
02-21-09, 00:27
You can get walnut at the pet store (Petco, etc.). It the lizard bedding. It's dusty though, so you need to run your tumbler with the lid on or add some polish to the stuff to knock the dust down.

Another option is a sand blasting supply store. Someone here suggested this to me. They said the walnut that they sell for blasting is much lower in dust mess.

Yes the pet store stuff is much more dusty. I buy 50# bags at a sandblasting supply company for less than $20. I resell it but tell people where I get it as it is more a convenience for the customer than a profit center. Some guys cannot be bothered. The stuff at the sand blasting supply store is much less dusty and cheaper.

You can get multiple "grits" of walnut. 12-20 is what I and most people use. A smaller grit, 20-40, is usually available as well and I sometimes use that if the 12-20 is out.

Chad

chadbag
02-21-09, 00:28
Currently I am using an old bottle of liquid Turtle Wax. I had been using Midway's liquid polish but tried the Turtle wax one day when I ran out. I think the Turtle Wax works better. :cool:

I put two tablespoons in my standard sized tumbler about 2/3 full of media, let it run for a few minutes to disperse, then add the brass.

Someone told me that the polish should be ammonia-free because ammonia will cause corrosion but I am not sure about that. I think Brasso has ammonia in it.

You need to use Ammonia free brass polish as the ammonia will weaken the brass. Don't do it.

I use the Dillon stuff (I sell it so that is what is around) but the midway or berrys stuff works well too.

chadbag
02-21-09, 00:30
Ammonia will deteriorate the brass. But in the diluted amount we're talking about, it's probably negligible. The Brass will be worn out or lost before the small amount of ammonia in the polish ruins it.

I think brasso is effective because it polishes off a thin layer of the brass with each application. Ammonia is used to remove copper fouling from barrels, and Brass has a significant amount of copper in its make up...

I don't want to weaken my brass and ammonia will weaken it. Especially if you leave the brass in the media after you are done for a while and don't immediately separate it from the media. Why take the risk?

ARx3
02-21-09, 20:54
For corn cob media,clic on the maintenance link then PVIhttp://www.powdervalleyinc.com/** For polish,http://armsandammo.com/proddetail.cfm?CFID=322590&CFTOKEN=16328300&ItemID=1190&CategoryID=16&SubCatID=137 http://armsandammo.com/proddetail.cfm?CFID=322590&CFTOKEN=16328300&ItemID=1159&CategoryID=15&SubCatID=132

miser
03-05-09, 21:06
I get my crushed walnut from a local feed store for about $18 per 50lb sack. Cant beat that price over a $12 5lb jug online. Same for corn cob media, get it at a local feed store for a ton less.