PDA

View Full Version : New Beretta with standard frame/Vertec G slide

cathellsk
02-20-09, 16:36
I stopped in my local dealer's store and they had a new Beretta 96 I haven't seen before, something new. It was labeled as a two tone.

Standard 96 frame in Bruniton (angled dust cover and radiused backstrap)
Vertec G slide in Bruniton (marked Vertec with dovetailed sights front and rear)
Elite II stainless barrel

I really like it but don't want the 40 cal. He said "she" (the distributor) had them in 9mm also and he called her back to order me one.
I really liked the looks of this pistol and it was a G model which I prefer.

Anyone seen these or know the story behind them? I'm guessing Beretta is using up some old parts.

ToddG
02-21-09, 07:38
I'm guessing Beretta is using up some old parts.

That would be my guess, as well. If they've got 92G Vertec slides lying around, I may need to make a phone call and get a couple of those.

Ernest Langdon & I are working on a proposal to Beretta to build a next-generation Elite pistol that is similar in concept, but on the M9A1 frame.

IrishDevil
02-21-09, 08:01
That would be my guess, as well. If they've got 92G Vertec slides lying around, I may need to make a phone call and get a couple of those.

Ernest Langdon & I are working on a proposal to Beretta to build a next-generation Elite pistol that is similar in concept, but on the M9A1 frame.

I'd buy one of those, with a quickness.

mrosamilia
02-21-09, 17:56
Count me in too:D

murphy j
02-22-09, 14:55

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

a308garand
02-23-09, 17:02

Since I have been using the M9A1 for a while now, it would be hard to replace. But,,,,,,this proposed new Elite would be a must have if it comes around.
Please let us know.:D

ToddG
02-23-09, 19:32
EL actually cobbled one together himself, I got to handle it today. Of course, having an LTT Speedbump trigger and Ernest Langdon action job helped a bit. It's sweet. Hopefully we'll get in to see Beretta in March and they'll feel the same way. :cool:

rubberneck
02-23-09, 19:39
EL actually cobbled one together himself, I got to handle it today. Of course, having an LTT Speedbump trigger and Ernest Langdon action job helped a bit. It's sweet. Hopefully we'll get in to see Beretta in March and they'll feel the same way. :cool:

Is Ernie still with S&W?

Sam
02-23-09, 19:45
Is Ernie still with S&W?

No, found out at the SHOT show that he is doing something different.

ToddG
02-23-09, 21:00
Is Ernie still with S&W?

As of January, Ernest is now the Director of Military Sales for Recon Robotics.

cathellsk
02-24-09, 00:01
Todd,

I thought I remember reading on Ernie's site that he used Berettas because thats what the military used and he knew the system so well from when he was in the service. Does he still prefer them or does he prefer something else?

I, and I'm sure alot of others, miss his services in the Beretta world. I still have an LTT speedbump trigger I use in whatever Beretta I own at any given time. None currently but I'm picking up the one I mentioned above hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.

ToddG
02-24-09, 07:48
Ernest has gone through a long succession of guns in his industry career. I think he's still the only person ever to win national IDPA championships with TDA (Beretta 92G, 92G Elite, 92G Elite II; SIG P220ST), SAO (1911), and striker-fired (S&W M&P45) guns.

For what it's worth, when I saw him yesterday he was back to carrying a Beretta for his CCW gun.

cathellsk
02-24-09, 18:20
Thanks Todd. :)

Update to my original post.....My dealer was sent two more .40s instead of 9mms. He called the distributor to ask why she sent them and she told him these are only available in .40. Appearently there was miscommunication between them about calibers. Oh well, guess I won't be getting one now.....unless someone can convince me to consider a . 40 Beretta which I've always heard has a less than stellar longevity record.

Sam
02-24-09, 19:21
Todd:
I beg of you and Mr. Langdon to leave off the light rail on this proposed limited pistol. Why? My read is that you intend for this gun to be used among other things, competition. We know that IDPA doesn't allow a rail mounted light, so the extra weight in the rail is just making the gun needlessly heavier.
Thanks.

ToddG
02-24-09, 20:14
Sam -- Thank you for your input. I'm sorry to inform you that we're definitely planning to push for the light rail.

Extra weight on the frame, especially immediately below the muzzle, is only going to help control the gun. In fact, for a time, one (now "former-") IDPA Board member wanted to outlaw guns with light rails for that reason.

Furthermore, history has shown that while a certain subset of the consumer base will buy the gun with no interest other than competition, quite a few more -- especially among the IDPA crowd -- will want the gun suitable for carry and/or home defense duties. From that standpoint, the light rail is a plus.

The two major complaints people tend to have with light rails are (1) holster compatibility and (2) appearance. The first is easily resolved because the gun will fit in any holster made for a Vertec or a M9A1; the second is easily resolved by "we don't care, deal with it." The gun is being purpose-built, not aesthetics-built.

The whole thing is nothing more than a concept paper right now, anyway. We don't have high expectations that Beretta will jump on it, at least not until 2010.

Sam
02-24-09, 20:22
Thank you Todd.

As for the holster for the light railed Spaghetti gun, I got that covered with a precious ACP by the late Lou Alessi. It's hard to believe that he's gone.

ToddG
02-24-09, 20:37
FWIW, there was a long thread about the concept over at the Beretta Forum, and quite a few folks pushed for no rail. It's sort of a weird truism in the industry that brand fans tend to dislike rails, while the general (much larger) buying market sees them as a major feature.

cathellsk
02-24-09, 22:57
Todd,

What are your thoughts on .40 cal. 96s? This pistol is appearantly only available in .40 so I'm trying to justify buying it still.

ToddG
02-25-09, 07:49
I would never buy a 96-series. Like most guns, I'm sure you can find someone somewhere who loves his and put 50 million rounds through it without a problem. But in general, the gun has a 10k service life. After that, the frame is probably starting to crack. And while the 92-series guns are usually extremely reliable, 96's are less so. Quite a few LE agencies bought switched from 92's to 96's, had serious problems, and demanded Beretta switch them back to 92's again.

Dave L.
02-25-09, 08:34

Todd,
Would the new slide be able to retro fit a standard 92 frame?

cathellsk
02-25-09, 08:50
I would never buy a 96-series. Like most guns, I'm sure you can find someone somewhere who loves his and put 50 million rounds through it without a problem. But in general, the gun has a 10k service life. After that, the frame is probably starting to crack. And while the 92-series guns are usually extremely reliable, 96's are less so. Quite a few LE agencies bought switched from 92's to 96's, had serious problems, and demanded Beretta switch them back to 92's again.

Thats what I was afraid of. Oh well, I guess I'll still be looking for a Beretta to get in the future. :(

ToddG
02-25-09, 09:41
You can put a Vertec slide on any full-size 90-series frame.

Race
02-25-09, 10:07
Maybe I overlooked this info, but can a Vertec "G" slide be purchased from Beretta?

Would like to put one on an M9. It might be just as well to get a 92G somehow.

I regret selling a 92 Elite years ago.

ToddG
02-25-09, 10:09
Race -- Unless you know someone who can bend the rules, BUSA does not normally sell slides as accessories. They also do not generally sell G-model slides or guns to the commercial market except for the Elite competition guns.

Race
02-25-09, 10:29
Race -- Unless you know someone who can bend the rules, BUSA does not normally sell slides as accessories. They also do not generally sell G-model slides or guns to the commercial market except for the Elite competition guns.

Thanks for the info.

Best.

Sam
02-25-09, 14:10
Todd:

Does the Centurion have a "full size 90 series" frame? or is the dust cover shorter? I want to try to install my Vertec upper on the Centurion.

Thanks.

ToddG
02-25-09, 14:31
Quite a few people report using full size slides on their Centurion frames, and Centurion slides on their full size frames. However, the Centurion slide is different and allows for a different slide cycle stroke distance. I wouldn't advise it, personally.

Sam
02-25-09, 20:53
Thanks Todd, I guess I will not attempt it.

Fail-Safe
02-25-09, 21:55
Todd, out of curiousity, how rare were the Beretta Elite 1As? I crave one of those so bad, but I cant find them anymore. I almost want to trade my Bowie Tactical M&P for one.

ToddG
02-25-09, 22:58
Fail-Safe: The E1A came out after I left, and I don't think they were produced in nearly the same numbers as the E1 and E2 simply because Beretta discontinued the Vertec so soon. Your best bet would be to check with the guys at berettaforum.net (http://berettaforum.net). They can probably tell you exactly how many were made, when production stopped, and what color socks the General Manager was making when the last one was rolled off the production line. :cool:

rubberneck
02-25-09, 23:18
Todd do you know if Ernie has any plans to start doing trigger jobs on Beretta's now that he is no longer affiliated with S&W? I have a Vertec in need of some loving.

ToddG
02-25-09, 23:28
rubberneck -- No plans to do action work for hire in the immediate future, no.