PDA

View Full Version : ITW FastMag Carriers? GTG?

Bpurcg19
02-20-09, 18:57
Hey everyone,

I searched for this but the searches that came back were from a while ago.

What is the general consensus on the ITW Fastmag mag carriers? Are they good to go? Are there any major flaws that make them not popular?

I would like the ability to be able to mount other pouches on the front of them but if these mags work well I think they could fill a role for me.

Thanks for any input you have on these,
-Brandon

ARx3
02-21-09, 21:17
Here's a link

http://www.milspecmonkey.com/misc1.html#FASTmag

chadbag
02-22-09, 00:39
in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4D2uk3-Ac

Dave L.
02-22-09, 01:48
I would go with an Eagle FB over the Fast Mag any day.

If it's for training classes where you never get dirty it may work for you, I would never deploy with one.

CarlosDJackal
02-24-09, 16:06
I have one and stopped using it primarily because it had too much play when attached to MOLLE webbing. Basically, since it does not have the intermediate loops that normally come with MOLLE accessories and pouches it moves up and down which drove me bonkers whenever I retrieved a mag.

It held onto the mag pretty well though. So if you're not overly concerned with this type of play, it's a decent enough mag pouch. YMMV.

militarymoron
02-25-09, 00:02
I have one and stopped using it primarily because it had too much play when attached to MOLLE webbing. Basically, since it does not have the intermediate loops that normally come with MOLLE accessories and pouches it moves up and down which drove me bonkers whenever I retrieved a mag.

i have to ask - you sure you mounted it correctly to your molle webbing? the two 'ears' on top are meant to go under the molle webbing and anchor the top of the FASTmag. they completely prevent any upward movement of the pouch. it is not held on there only by the straps. when i mount mine to vests, they're actually VERY tight with no movement at all.
can you please take a photo of how you have it mounted where it has the play you mention?

Stephen_H
02-25-09, 07:39
If it's for training classes where you never get dirty it may work for you, I would never deploy with one.

Would you mind quantifying that statement? I have never had any issue with the ITW Fastmag.

Stephen

Iraq Ninja
02-25-09, 09:04
Stephen, here is a copy of my review I made last year. Basically, it didn't like the heat and dust in Iraq. Since then, I have brought them home and used it for various courses without issue. I have bought and used a ton of Blue Force Gear over the years and love the stuff. In this case, the Fast Mag just didn't cut it in after a month of hard use in the Sandbox.

---------------------------

I have been interested in the Fast Mags since its latest update, and purchased two of them for testing. I am a security contractor doing PSD ops and have used them on a daily basis in Iraq for over a month.

The Fast Mags were bought from Blue Force Gear, but I could not find any detailed instructions and I had to go back to the online reviews for the information. The Fast Mags were attached to the front of my armored chassis, next to the TT shingles, that I have used for over 3 years here.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/fastmag.jpg

First of all, the Fast Mag didn't give me a lot of confidence. If the thick rubber band broke, you loose the primary retention device. Some of the other reviews mention that the mag locks in, and requires a twisting motion to remove it. I used both USGI mags and Pmags with the rubber band in the upper position, and never had a need to twist it to remove it. I would like to be able to purchase extra bands, and use 2 or three on each holder. Milspec Monkey's review mentions that he uses a rubber wrist bracelet to reinforce the holder. I have yet to try that.

Here are the problems I found with the Fast Mag-

Dust and Dirt
The design let in more dust and dirt than my TT shingles, so much so that it worked its way into the mags. The rubber inserts on the inside of the mag, the ones that help apply friction, collected dust and turned dark and smooth. So smooth, that it was apparent that the Fast Mag was not holding as tightly as before. The rubber inserts also wear away, possibly more so when using P Mags.

Temperature
The hard plastic shells held up very well. The rubber band seemed to relax in high heat (110-115 F) which is very common in Iraq. This caused the mags to become noticeably loose, until they were returned to room temperature.

Placement
The Fast Mags were placed next to each other, and the outer "clam shell" would sometimes appear to hook partially on the adjacent Fast Mag, once again reducing the grip on the mag.

Some reviews mention that it can be used upside down, but I found that both style of mags would work themselves free. You can use the retention cord to hold it in place, but that defeats the purpose of having a "fast mag" system.

In conclusion, the problems I found with the Fast Mag were environmental related, with heat and dust being a major problem. The rubber inserts do wear over time. All of this led to a loss in retention over a one month period of daily use.

I still like the Fast Mag, but can not recommend for extended operations, especially in harsh environments like Iraq. I honestly don't see much of an improvement over using a standard shingle.

I am interesting to hearing from the other forum members their observations of the Fast Mag in less than idea conditions.

BTW, the best retention system I have seen is the custom made pouches made for the SAS. They are said to have a soft rubber tube running the length of the shingle on the sides, and can be used upside down...

Iraq Ninja
02-25-09, 09:09
in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4D2uk3-Ac

Oh, and I would not exactly call that "in action" lol. He should keep to making patches, not dance videos :D

Stephen_H
03-01-09, 15:44
Thanks for the info! Do you mind if I pass this along to the manufacturer?

Stephen

Iraq Ninja
03-01-09, 20:04
Stephen,

Please do, I want to see this product work.

RAM Engineer
03-01-09, 20:49
Does anyone know where I can find the belt mountable ones without the "ears"? I can only find the vest versions online.

Thanks
Jason

C4IGrant
03-02-09, 12:02
I use them and really like them.

C4

soldiersystems
03-02-09, 13:36
There is a new third generation version coming. I wrote about it here:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/2009/01/21/down-east-at-shot/

and teh older versions here:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/2008/06/10/itw-fastmag/

There has never been a "belt" version. The ears are to help stabilize it on vests as it locks under a PALS bar. You could cut them off if they are irritating you.

Dave L.
03-02-09, 14:07
Would you mind quantifying that statement? I have never had any issue with the ITW Fastmag.

Stephen

Stephen,

I wasn't dodging you, just saw this thread again.

I'm in the same boat as Iraq Ninja.
While I like the idea, I think it needs more development.
I have been using Eagle FB pouches out here for the past year and have been very happy.
I also use P-Mags out here, and the P-Mag/FB combo is excellent.

I would be happy to try some out down the road, but I doubt I'll get one issued to me anytime soon.

Dave

Dave L.
03-02-09, 14:13
There is a new third generation version coming. I wrote about it here:

I like the look of the 3rd gen, and the ability to put another accessory over top.

Is the attachment straps nylon with a rubber coating or just a rubber strap?

chadbag
03-02-09, 18:24
Oh, and I would not exactly call that "in action" lol. He should keep to making patches, not dance videos :D

yes, "in action" was meant to be like you guys go in the sandbox and the video was for humor

soldiersystems
03-03-09, 10:47
I like the look of the 3rd gen, and the ability to put another accessory over top.

Is the attachment straps nylon with a rubber coating or just a rubber strap?

The prototype material is essentially a rubber coated nylon fabric that has been die cut. You may seen bags that use similar fabrics due to its inherent tenacity.

In the past, ITW has picked up DE's new designs so it is hard to tell at this point what material will be used in the third gen's final production version.

Dave L.
03-03-09, 11:04
The prototype material is essentially a rubber coated nylon fabric that has been die cut. You may seen bags that use similar fabrics due to its inherent tenacity.

In the past, ITW has picked up DE's new designs so it is hard to tell at this point what material will be used in the third gen's final production version.

This product would work well in a NBC environment, solids are much easier to decontaminate than fabrics. I wonder if it will get an NSN based on that?

soldiersystems
03-03-09, 11:17
NSNs require a sponsor, that is why you see so many COTS products that units purchase over and over without an NSN.

C4IGrant
03-03-09, 11:18
NSNs require a sponsor, that is why you see so many COTS products that units purchase over and over without an NSN.

Yep and you also have to prove that a similar product does not already exist in the system.

C4

M&P45
05-05-09, 14:37
Here is some updated info from Down East ind. I'm going to be ordering a few of these for my new 3-gun/tactical carbine setup.

Down East (http://www.downeastinc.com/FASTmag/1686.html)

Dave L.
05-05-09, 15:21
IMHO, I still cannot see how these would be useful in anything but civilian shooting courses and competitions.

*I'm sure they are well made.
**I'm sure they function properly.

Iraq Ninja
05-05-09, 15:37
IMHO, I still cannot see how these would be useful in anything but civilian shooting courses and competitions.

I agree. Nice idea, but I never liked the rubber bands on the outside. Even so, I don't see how this can be better than a good kydex holder for 3 gunners.

BTW, even though mine failed over here, I took them home last leave and ran them thru a course with no problems. But, we didn't get dirty and the temperature was quiet cool.

Zhurdan
05-05-09, 15:57
Iraq Ninja,

I'm not sure if I'm using the term correctly, but I'd read somewhere that the "deflection temp" for Kydex was like 210F. Deflection meaning the point at which it would still come off of a mold during forming. Was the heat causing the product to not work right? Was it causing it to get softer than normal or something? I'd imagine 130F would have an effect in some fashion, just curious.

Iraq Ninja
05-05-09, 16:10
Hi,

FastMag doesn't have kydex. I think the rubber bands didn't like the heat. The plastic case was fine. The rubber on the inside got hot too, and attracted dirt and formed this slick black film.

But, once I got home and cleaned them, they were good.

vicious_cb
05-11-09, 16:39
Stephen, here is a copy of my review I made last year. Basically, it didn't like the heat and dust in Iraq. Since then, I have brought them home and used it for various courses without issue. I have bought and used a ton of Blue Force Gear over the years and love the stuff. In this case, the Fast Mag just didn't cut it in after a month of hard use in the Sandbox.

---------------------------

I have been interested in the Fast Mags since its latest update, and purchased two of them for testing. I am a security contractor doing PSD ops and have used them on a daily basis in Iraq for over a month.

The Fast Mags were bought from Blue Force Gear, but I could not find any detailed instructions and I had to go back to the online reviews for the information. The Fast Mags were attached to the front of my armored chassis, next to the TT shingles, that I have used for over 3 years here.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/Iraqninja/fastmag.jpg[/IMG]

First of all, the Fast Mag didn't give me a lot of confidence. If the thick rubber band broke, you loose the primary retention device. Some of the other reviews mention that the mag locks in, and requires a twisting motion to remove it. I used both USGI mags and Pmags with the rubber band in the upper position, and never had a need to twist it to remove it. I would like to be able to purchase extra bands, and use 2 or three on each holder. Milspec Monkey's review mentions that he uses a rubber wrist bracelet to reinforce the holder. I have yet to try that.

Here are the problems I found with the Fast Mag-

Dust and Dirt
The design let in more dust and dirt than my TT shingles, so much so that it worked its way into the mags. The rubber inserts on the inside of the mag, the ones that help apply friction, collected dust and turned dark and smooth. So smooth, that it was apparent that the Fast Mag was not holding as tightly as before. The rubber inserts also wear away, possibly more so when using P Mags.

Temperature
The hard plastic shells held up very well. The rubber band seemed to relax in high heat (110-115 F) which is very common in Iraq. This caused the mags to become noticeably loose, until they were returned to room temperature.

Placement
The Fast Mags were placed next to each other, and the outer "clam shell" would sometimes appear to hook partially on the adjacent Fast Mag, once again reducing the grip on the mag.

Some reviews mention that it can be used upside down, but I found that both style of mags would work themselves free. You can use the retention cord to hold it in place, but that defeats the purpose of having a "fast mag" system.

In conclusion, the problems I found with the Fast Mag were environmental related, with heat and dust being a major problem. The rubber inserts do wear over time. All of this led to a loss in retention over a one month period of daily use.

I still like the Fast Mag, but can not recommend for extended operations, especially in harsh environments like Iraq. I honestly don't see much of an improvement over using a standard shingle.

I am interesting to hearing from the other forum members their observations of the Fast Mag in less than idea conditions.

BTW, the best retention system I have seen is the custom made pouches made for the SAS. They are said to have a soft rubber tube running the length of the shingle on the sides, and can be used upside down...

Thats unfortunate, I was hoping to run 4 of these on a grab and go chest rig.

Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.atstacticalgear.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-7270

Could the Eclipse M4 speed reload pouches be a good alternative?

Iraq Ninja
05-11-09, 16:50
They still may work for you. It depends on your environment.

One thing I forgot to add, was that they work well when wet and cold. Water drains out very quickly and doesn't get heavy like standard pouches.

Zhurdan
05-11-09, 17:01
When I initially heard that you had to "twist" the mag to get it out, I thought that there was some sort of raised catch inside the magazine where the magazine catch is located on the magazine. So, if the magazine was bullets down and pointing backwards, you'd twist it clockwise looking down on it to disengage the raised catch out and away from the magazines recessed catch. That's what I thought was holding them in place. I wonder if a magazine release button and a more rigid body might not be a better idea.

I ordered 2 just to check them out, and I don't plan on being in or near anywhere where it's 120degrees. Thanks for your insight thusfar Iraq Ninja

Zhurdan
08-20-09, 23:47
UPDATE

So I got my fast mags in a while back and have been working with them during dry fire practice. Here's my second attempt with them today live fire.

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/?action=view&current=MVI_0255.flv

Definitely need some work on placement of the mag carriers on this rig. Also need to shorten up some extra straps. Man it's amazing what you find out during live fire that seems to never happen during dry fire practice. I guess that's why we practice.

NOTE: Yes, I'm chubby, but I'm working on that. I've lost about 16 pounds. So, if your gonna make fat jokes, they better be damn funny, and not so mean spirited. I need all the support possible, as anyone who's gone past the line knows. (you know, that line on the scale you never thought you'd hit)

Icculus
08-24-09, 17:54
So I know the site says they can be mounted up or down and noticed you had them mounted opening down. Any concerns about the mags slipping out? It seems (and I don't have any first hand experience) that if they were tight enough to alleviate concerns about mags slipping out they would be so tight to as hinder the reload. Curious???

NOTE: Yes, I'm chubby, but I'm working on that. I've lost about 16 pounds. So, if your gonna make fat jokes, they better be damn funny, and not so mean spirited. I need all the support possible, as anyone who's gone past the line knows. (you know, that line on the scale you never thought you'd hit)

And don't let anybody give you shit about that. I'm also low-speed, high-drag myself and working hard to change that (dropped 30 but have given about 8 back). Congrats on the 16 pounds. Its hard work brother but stick with it :)

Zhurdan
08-24-09, 18:00
So I know the site says they can be mounted up or down and noticed you had them mounted opening down. Any concerns about the mags slipping out? It seems (and I don't have any first hand experience) that if they were tight enough to alleviate concerns about mags slipping out they would be so tight to as hinder the reload. Curious???

Yeah, I have those ones mounted upside down. I loaded mags up and jumped down the stairs at my house one at a time trying to get them to come loose, but they didn't. I did move the tension bands to the highest position. I'm sure that helped. They do have bungie straps as well, but I haven't used them. If you twist the magazine just a little bit, it makes extraction simple. The piece of rubber that holds it in place is dead center in the middle, so any rotation, as they recommend, will aide in getting the mag out.

And don't let anybody give you shit about that. I'm also low-speed, high-drag myself and working hard to change that (dropped 30 but have given about 8 back). Congrats on the 16 pounds. Its hard work brother but stick with it :)

Thanks. Worst part is, I used to be about 4% body fat, then college happened. It'll be a while, but I'll get the majority of it off.

huklbrry
08-25-09, 23:38
So Fast Mags aren't for first line kit, only chest rigs?
Damn, I was thinking about putting a couple on an ATS War Belt.

Zhurdan
08-26-09, 00:12
Why not? Belt draw is fast, just not as fast as from the chest in my tests. I've tried them from a 1 1/2" belt and realized they weren't really stable enough. I've ordered a 2" belt. That may have a totally different result. Keep in mind that I've been running these off a Galco 1 1/2" belt when working from the belt. NOT what they were intended for from a stability standpoint.

Even from the chest rig, there's a whole lot of wobble-wobble. It may be because I'm a bit pudgy, but I really didn't have any trouble retracting the mags from either the chest rig or the belt, but it did feel a bit mushy from the belt, and I'm betting it has to do with the thickness of the belt.

Overall, I really like the FASTMag's. The thing that I like the most is that most of the magazine is above the holder. It leaves a whole lot to grab on to. The reason I tried them upside down to begin with (aside from the belt), was because all the other mag holders I've tried required some sort of monkey finger, thumb grip to get them out of the holder. Then, being they were base-plate up... a rotation. I think that anytime you have to rotate something, you add a motion that can lead to dropping a mag. From the upside down position, you just grasp, pull, stuff!

I'm no expert, by any means. I'm just trying to add to the conversation from a, what would be considered a "casual shooter", that it is faster than from the belt. I shoot a lot in my opinion, but there are many better shooters on this forum that could add to the discussion, and that already have. I'm just adding this for the not so awesome crowd.

Me? I've been a pistol person for decades. I've owned an AR for about 10 years, but it mostly sat in the safe. I've learned a metric shart ton from just reading and soaking in the tons of information available here. I just thought that for people that may be on my level, this information might be useful. It's added speed to my reloads on the order of 50% faster. If a piece of equipment and an hour of dry fire practice can do that for me.... take heed if you are new to the platform. Practice will always win out over equipment, but by damn, take any advantage you can get folks.

ARx3
08-26-09, 12:32
Being a "old" high drag,low speed guy myself I'm not sure this was much of a test.
I ran my Fastmags in the down position on a Spartan II chest rig on the front flap at a day/night carbine class in June of this year. Temps during the afternoon ran in the 100-105 degree range and cooled off to the mid 80's by 21:30. We shot from prone,rollover prone left and right,standing, sitting, kneeling,low kneeling,and fetal positions. While we did not scale any buildings in a single bound we did sprint(ok move quickly) from one position to another both forwards and backwards and offline as well as drop from standing to different positions. I was using 30rd P-mags in the FastMag carriers and didn't experience any troubles or ever lost a mag. I was also running the rubber band in the upper position without the retention cord. Reloads from the carriers were both fast and smooth. For how I'll be using them I'm very satisfied with how they performed.

huklbrry
08-26-09, 14:11
Guys, all of your info regarding your experience with the FastMags is great. But is there a difference between the ones that BFG sells and the Gen 3 Fast Mag that can be found on TT? :confused: I know that on BFG's site, one is for duty belts and the other one they have for MOLLE systems. Also, what is the difference between Gen 2 and 3 on TT? Thanks.

Zhurdan
08-26-09, 14:21
I believe they changed the type of sytem used to attach them to the webbing. I don't have any of the new ones, but it doesn't look as hearty as the older ones, I could be wrong. The Gen3 ones also have the capability to "stack" them so you could have two FASTMags where one would have fit. That seems as if it would be a bit bulky if it was on a chest rig.

Iraq Ninja
08-26-09, 18:21
Does the Gen 3 still rely on the rubber bands? I see that as a major weakness.

Any pouch that is designed to do or hold one thing only, is not a good pouch IMHO. For instance, try stuffing a bandage in it.

CPGear makes flaps for it..

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/fastmag_flap_1.jpg

More details here...

http://soldiersystems.net/page/2/

militarymoron
08-27-09, 21:55
i have pics and info on the gen 3 in my writeup here:
http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/2ndline2.html#fstmag3

the gen 2 writeup is directly above it.

huklbrry
08-28-09, 10:27
nice write-up mm

custom-x_sponjah
09-02-09, 00:27
Wow. that is a Substantial difference in width between the OLD school G1's and the G3's...

TY MM

CXS

militarymoron
09-02-09, 00:31
The Gen3 ones also have the capability to "stack" them so you could have two FASTMags where one would have fit. That seems as if it would be a bit bulky if it was on a chest rig.

here are two rows (six total) of gen 3 fastmags on a rig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/fastmags.jpg

andy_ita
01-03-10, 13:39
hi from italy guys
im using fast mags on my vest..in upside down configuration...
well
for me, they work very good.
i use it in courses only, but they are very good.

the only problem i had is that i broke 1 rubber band after i crawled on the hard terrain.

now i want to buy 4 more.. to stack it and have 8 mags available...
but i read on the seller website they cannot be stacked upside down....
anyone know the reason???

greetings from italy
andy

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9066/p1050079g.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/i/p1050079g.jpg/)

Moltke
02-15-12, 11:55
Militarymoron,

I've just read your write-up, great information thank you.

Does anyone know if you are you able to stack a belt mounted fast mag, onto a belt mounted fast mag?

Moltke
02-15-12, 12:21
Got my question answered by a Robin, a very helpful customer service rep at Blue Force Gear. Yes you can double stack the belt mounted pouches back to back but it's a pain to get them together. After asking the question, Robin got a couple belt mounted FastMags and made it work, they'll be posting a pic online sometime soon as another option people can use now. I'm going to place an order from BFG now and will be trying it myself at a carbine course next weekend too.

Fun fun fun.

militarymoron
02-15-12, 12:27
i wouldn't double stack them on a belt - too bulky.

Moltke
02-15-12, 12:35
Noted, makes sense, probably still going to try it, thanks!

I will of course report back whether or not it is a bad idea.

40calfragout
02-16-12, 10:06
i have 2 on my PC here in afghanistan, no real issues yet in the 4 months ive been here but it isnt shitty season yet so we shall see. my concern as echoed by others is the rubber bands, would any of you know where i could find some spares or like a pack of 5 available for purchase?

thanks.

mtdawg169
02-18-12, 19:46
i have 2 on my PC here in afghanistan, no real issues yet in the 4 months ive been here but it isnt shitty season yet so we shall see. my concern as echoed by others is the rubber bands, would any of you know where i could find some spares or like a pack of 5 available for purchase?

thanks.

I think SKD has spare rubber bands for the fast mags.

cop1211
02-18-12, 20:02
I run the ITW'S on my SWAT heavy vest as well as my PIG plate carrier like'em no issues.

The Esstac pouches with the kiwi insert are also top notch.

Moltke
02-29-12, 09:44
So... I said I'd report back and here it is.

I attended the F2S Practical Carbine course over the weekend and used 4 ITW FastMags with a Blackhawk Rigger belt. I have nothing bad to say about either as it got the job done and didn't fall apart. I'm sure there are better belt options available but that's what I had to go with at the time so I made it work. The FastMags were great and I'll continue to use them until something better comes along.

Setting it up - Grabbed two FastMags and threaded them together, it worked like planned and was stable. Then did it with the other pair of belt moutned FastMags and slid them onto my rigger belt.

Trying it on - Put the rigger belt on with the FastMags and yeah, as expected they stick out farther than a single FastMag or pretty much any other magazine pouch would.

Using it at the course - Since it was cold at the shooting course I was wearing layers and strapped on the rigger belt and FastMags over my big brown jacket. I tightened the belt down as best I could, slid the FastMags to my left hip and training began. Everything worked fine, I was able to access magazines quickly from all shooting positions, I had four 30rd mags on my left hip and didn't have to fumble around, and it didn't hinder my movement. It wasn't a fancy setup but it worked.

The only time I experienced a problem with the stacked FastMags on my belt was when I was in an alternate shooting position laying on my left hip. I didn't think to slide them to my back and just laid down quickly on my left hip and was propped up by the stacked FastMags which made shooting from that position even more awkward.

Overall I was pleased and I'll continue to play with the setup. Next I need to find some pistol magazines to put on the belt, or maybe a new belt altogether.