PDA

View Full Version : Smith M&P 45 fluke

dutch
02-20-09, 20:23
Shoot a M&P 45c today for around 300 rounds, also for some comparision went through several hundred on an HK45, 100 on a Baer TRS, 50 on a Colt Gunsite and a 50 on a Wilson C elite. This little gun (m&p) left us speechless. This is either the biggest fluke I have ever seen or these guns are unreal as far as accuracy. This gun would print as good or better than all guns other than the gunsite and about the same as the Wilson at 30 yards. We started at 10 then 15, same lightsout accuracy, so we went to 20 then 25 then past 30 yards. Its like shooting a Ruger 22 MK3 where u actually hit what you aim at every time. This is the most accurate plastic gun I have ever seen and my question is, is this a fluke or do they all shoot this well.

John_Wayne777
02-20-09, 20:34
The M&P .45 platform is reported by many reliable sources to be well above average in the accuracy department. My own .45's are capable of one hole groups if the guy behind the trigger doesn't suck.

rly45acp
02-20-09, 21:17
I'll add that you're the first person I know who has stated it can hold its own against an HK45.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-20-09, 22:46
That's true. I have two Novak accurized Colt's 1911s and neither are as accurate as my Hk45. Now, overall I can shoot better with my 1911s, but in terms of raw mechanical accuracy my HK45 has been basically perfect.

Jay Cunningham
02-20-09, 22:53
I'll add that you're the first person I know who has stated it can hold its own against an HK45.

Add another one. They are remarkably accurate.

POF.Ops
02-20-09, 22:59
Mine shoots surprisingly accurate as well. I understand that the trigger improves with firing which will make it even better. It's mounted with an Insight Procyon as my nightstand gun. The only improvement I am planning is Warren Tactical sights. I like it because it has a similar feel to a 1911 unlike other plastic pistols.

MarshallDodge
02-21-09, 00:03
I shot the full size M&P 45 off hand and did not have that great of results but it is a nice gun. Could have been ammo but it probably was me.

I also tried the M&P compact 9mm and it shot really well once I got used to the trigger.

USG
02-21-09, 00:33
Picked up a M&P45c the other day and just rang it out yesterday. Quite a good shooter indeed. Easily holds the 10-ring on the NRA Timed and Rapid Bullseye Target at 25 yards offhand. No malfunctions over 150 rounds and has less perceived recoil and muzzle rise than a lightweight 1911.

A bit chunky in the slide (1/10"more than a Glock 19/23), but the grip feel beats other hi-cap pistol, and the butt is as short as a Colt Officers. I think it is winner.

maximus83
02-21-09, 01:50
Add another one. They are remarkably accurate.

+1. I was stunned the first time I rented one at my range and put some rounds through it. I decided right there that if I ever get another plastic .45, that will be the one.

DrMark
02-21-09, 15:18
I've shot M&Ps in 9 mm and in 45 ACP.

Yes, they seem unexpectedly accurate in my experience.

ToddG
02-21-09, 15:31
A couple years back, Ernest Langdon brought the SLA-frame prototype M&P45 to Ohio for a little get together we had celebrating Ken Hackathorn's birthday. We were plinking cans and water bottles all over the range out to 50yd.

Having said that, folks I know (and whose skill level I respect) who've shot both seem to give a slight accuracy edge to the HK45. Whether that edge is enough to matter is of course dependent on the shooter's needs ... and the shooter's skill level.

fastbolt
02-22-09, 15:40
Wouldn't consider it exactly a fluke.

Once I became accustomed to the initially somewhat heavy trigger I was able to wring some surprisingly excellent accuracy from it. (The trigger has become increasingly better with use, FWIW.)

I can only imagine what a M&P 45 would shoot like if a Performance Center machined sear were available.

I actually prefer shooting my M&P 45 to my handful of Colts and my SW1911SC 5" ...

HK45
02-22-09, 15:43
They are as accurate as my HK 45's. Plus I shoot the M&P more accurately in rapid fire. I think it is due to less muzzle flip because of the higher bore axis and beavertail. Strangely though my HK45c's are better than both in rapid fire accuracy. Must have something to do with the way I hold the various pistols.