PDA

View Full Version : Major Score at SAXET Gunshow In Austin TX

tex45acp
02-21-09, 13:01
I traveled 1.5 hours one way looking for one item for my M4A1 Bushy Carbine. I was looking for a gooseneck drop picatinny rail that attaches to the A1 carry handle. I found exactly what I wanted for $10, walked 5' to another table and found 7 new in wrapper PMAGS. His last 7 & offered them to me for $10 each if I took all 7. He also had the complete Magpul Pistol Grip Assy. with all adjustable size parts, including rounded trigger guard. That one was $30. Last but not least, 5 Magpul Anti Tilt followers for $10 for all 5 to replace the followers in my factory metal mags. I am a happy AR owner!!!

28_days
02-21-09, 13:17
I traveled 1.5 hours one way looking for one item for my M4A1 Bushy Carbine. I was looking for a gooseneck drop picatinny rail that attaches to the A1 carry handle. I found exactly what I wanted for $10, walked 5' to another table and found 7 new in wrapper PMAGS. His last 7 & offered them to me for $10 each if I took all 7. He also had the complete Magpul Pistol Grip Assy. with all adjustable size parts, including rounded trigger guard. That one was $30. Last but not least, 5 Magpul Anti Tilt followers for $10 for all 5 to replace the followers in my factory metal mags. I am a happy AR owner!!!

PMAGS for $10? Wow. That's well below MSRP isn't it? Nicely done.

cptx123
02-21-09, 13:25
Jeez, to think I have been complaining how everything is way over priced at that show.

chadbag
02-21-09, 13:42
PMAGS for $10? Wow. That's well below MSRP isn't it? Nicely done.

That is below the standard direct from Magpul dealer cost (Magpul distributors may have different pricing)

tex45acp
02-21-09, 18:51
This guy had nothing but Magpul on his table......I don't know what else to say.

LOKNLOD
02-21-09, 19:01
Maybe he had a pang of guilt after selling them for $30 ea all day, and just wanted the last few out of his sight.

chadbag
02-21-09, 19:05
This guy had nothing but Magpul on his table......I don't know what else to say.

No need for you to say anything. You scored! Good deal.

Of course, you probably paid $10-$15 to get into the show...

tex45acp
02-21-09, 19:20
Actually the cost to get in was only $5, but I had to pay for gasoline to and from. I figure I pretty much broke even, but at least I did not have to wait for them to be delivered or be backordered.

Well I installed the Magpul grip assembly with the integral radiused trigger guard and tried all the different grip modules as well until I found one that I liked. Very easy to do. I then installed the new gooseneck drop down scope mount. I also just realized that my rings are too short...oh well, i'll pick up a taller set next week and try again. Then I changed out the followers in my metal mags with the non-tip Magpul followers. Hopefully next week I will get a chance to shoot the new PMAGS. Mine are the black windowless 30 rounders. Next, I want a good case.....preferably hard with foam I can cut to secure the gun and mags.

tex

SeriousStudent
02-21-09, 21:22
Nice score!

You should go buy a Lotto ticket, before your luck changes. ;)

Redhat
02-21-09, 22:03
Excellent!

That show was here last week but I didn't go because I rarely find any deals anymore. :mad:

austinN4
02-22-09, 06:28
I stopped going to the Austin show because of crappy inventory and high prices. Since the weather sucked yesterday morning I drove over to go for the first time in a long time, but drove away when I saw how long the line was to get in. Musta been several hundred people in line outside. Maybe I'll go today.

tex45acp
02-22-09, 14:38
austin,

I was probably standing in that line. If I had not driven so far I probably would have gone home as well. I was sure glad I wore a sweat shirt. About 10 minutes after I walked up and got into line the norther blew through and the temps dropped dramatically, even has a little sprinkle of rain. If you happened to notice a 6'7" 300# white guy with a burnt orange sweatshirt on, standing in line, that was me!!!

I was in the show no more than an hour, found what I wanted and was really happy about finding the PMAG's, especially for the price I paid and left to head home. If I had brought more money I would have taken home a flat top upper with a 20" barrel for $650 from Bushmaster. The upper was a full assembly with everything but a rear sight. I just did not have enough and my credit card was at home.....just where it should have been.

tex

1BadBushmaster
02-22-09, 14:54

Wow man, I'm new, and even know that was a steal. Great job.:eek:

austinN4
02-22-09, 15:46
I was in the show no more than an hour, found what I wanted and was really happy about finding the PMAG's, especially for the price I paid and left to head home.
You did god, no, make that great! I have never been that lucky there.

I got there about 9:30 and it was windy, cold and wet. The show had been open since 9 but the line was still ridiculously long so I said F it.

Shadow1198
02-23-09, 02:59
Man, I'm getting real fed up with gun shows lately. I tried selling an M1A Loaded, ss national match barrel model for like $1800. Best offer I had all day was $1k, I had to walk away before saying something rash. The dude was running a booth and even had the balls to call up his "knowledgeable M1A friend" (after haggling with me) so his friend could tell me what the "real" market value was for one. Big surprise, apparently according to this "expert" an M1A loaded with national match parts is worth $1k at best. lol assholes ;) All I know is I would sure have liked to know where you can buy these for $1k. hehe

One cool thing is I finally picked up a BFG VCAS! Was kind of surprised to find one there. Man those things are the highest quality slings I've ever seen or used! It now has a nice cozy resting place on my newly acquired Garand. :)

Also picked up a good book "Surgical Speed Shooting" by Andy Stanford. Overall it wasn't a bad day, but I can't stand all the low-baller cheap asses.

Actually, I was a bit surprised on the prices. The last time I went to Saxet was probably November or October last year, so before the election. I've heard a bunch of horror stories about prices lately, but frankly there were plenty of decent prices still there. I saw plenty of C-Products AR mags (w/ Magpul followers) for $14.95, plenty of Bushmaster, DPMS, and Stag AR's for like ~$850-950. There were some over the top prices, but not nearly as bad as I expected. Hell, about the only reason I went this time was for that awesome homemade beef jerky and spiced cheese. lol ;)

Wilco
02-23-09, 21:23
the austin shows have been a madhouse, I stopped going.....what was the rest of the show like? Prices? I imagine there was a bazillion folks there. If you are near Austin, give the fine folks (also at the show) at GDS a call. Gun nuts, willing to sit there a jaw about guns for an hour at their store, never stear you wrong. I latched onto them after they wanted to sell me LESS expensive items that they thought would be of better use.....how many times does that happen?

cptx123
02-23-09, 21:39
GDS is an awesome Austin area ar vender, Saxet show this Sunday left little to be desired.

BigDozer66
02-23-09, 21:53
I don't find deals like those very often.:)
BigDozer66

welchtactical
02-23-09, 22:07
Pmags were going for 29.99-39.99 each! Last gunshow here in Charlotte was HORRIBLE!

Shadow1198
02-24-09, 00:37
the austin shows have been a madhouse, I stopped going.....what was the rest of the show like? Prices? I imagine there was a bazillion folks there. If you are near Austin, give the fine folks (also at the show) at GDS a call. Gun nuts, willing to sit there a jaw about guns for an hour at their store, never stear you wrong. I latched onto them after they wanted to sell me LESS expensive items that they thought would be of better use.....how many times does that happen?

There were plenty of outrageous prices on stuff, though there were still deals to be had so it wasn't a complete waste. I just wish I had more dough. There were still plenty of fair prices like probably 30-40+ C-Products AR mags w/ Magpul followers for $14.95 at one booth (at least they weren't charging $30+ a mag like some others lol), and plenty of inexpensive new GI mags. That being said, I did see someone trying to sell some CAI AR's for like $1200-1300, so at least I got some good laughs out of the trip. ;) The shows kind of suck now, so I'll just look at them as a monthly source for homemade jerky instead. lol ;)

BigDozer, was that you I met at the Austin Saxet on Sunday? I met someone there in relation to the Appleseed Project, and they mentioned their screename was "BigD".

tex45acp
02-24-09, 06:38
CPTX123 & Wilco,

GDS sounds like a winner.

Do you have any information about them (i.e. phone, website, address).

Do they carry a lot of items in stock for the black gun crowd.

There were a bunch of folks at the show, but it was still not as crowded as the last show I went to in San Antonio.........major traffic jams in the asiles. Good place to get your pocket picked or have someone see your credit card numbers and memorize them while you are handing it to the clerk.

As one of the other posters stated there were deals to be found but you had to look for them. I saw a Bushmaster 20" HBAR flattop upper, complete assy without BUIS for $650, brand new. Looking around I felt this a good price.

Wilco
02-24-09, 07:38
Here you go sir:

http://www.gdsent.com/

Honestly, the site leave much to be desired. The phone number is at the bottom left under "contact us". I work right there, and spend quite a few lunches just going over, shooting the shit, and looking at items. They are really cool about showing new items, just talking shop, passing on knowledge - just cool guys. I'd drop by and give them a visit. Terry and Bill are the guys to talk to there. They are also into SBRs and Suppressors and can give advice on those....

ccoker
02-24-09, 09:29
I rarely go to it anymore for the same reasons as the others...

don't be telling people about GDS!!
that's a well kept secret :)

Wilco
02-24-09, 10:00
Ha! :)
I w
ent in there last week and there were four customers in there, that is the busiest I've ever seen it!