PDA

View Full Version : "Back to the Future PMAGS"

chadbag
02-21-09, 13:41
I was packaging up black no window PMAGs that just came in for orders last night (non M version) and I looked at a couple of date stamps. 12/09! on some of them. So I think Magpul is getting ahead of themselves here... But I had to look through the plastic in bad light (these are the white sealed bags so I cannot take the mag out) so I was only 99% sure of the date stamp.

Then today I was working with some newly arrived FDE windowed PMAGs and making parts kits for Cali customers so I had them out of the bag. On a whim I looked at the date stamp on it. Between 11/09 and 12/09. This one is out of the bag so I am 100% sure. I tried to get a picture of it with my iPhone camera but it could not focus on it up close so the pics did not turn out. However, I set one aside and when the baby wakes up I will get out the D-SLR and snap an up close pic :)

Chad

twodollarbill
02-21-09, 13:56
When Magpul gets caught up with demand this Nov. and Dec., everyone will think they got FRESH Pmags. :)

number9xd
02-21-09, 16:09
I don't know when the change was made, but I got a few 30rd black non-window pmags from BCM on 2-5-09 and they are the old version with date code of 12-08.

Army Chief
02-21-09, 16:45
I've got two PMAG orders pending with you already, and I while I knew E-GUNS was good, I didn't realize that you were so good that you could ship PMAGs 9-10 months before they were even manufactured. That's epic! :D

Are you filling FDE ACS orders now too, by chance? LOL

AC

Iraqgunz
02-21-09, 16:52
Chad,

Put them on Gunbroker and sell them as special pre-production mags or some such nonsense. They'll probably sell like hot cakes.

fatebringer
02-21-09, 18:09
Magpul posted in their forum on TOS that they caught this when they were made and have made a note in case there is a question of legality later and that real 12/09mags will be the new design and therefore easy to id.

chadbag
02-21-09, 18:36
I don't know when the change was made, but I got a few 30rd black non-window pmags from BCM on 2-5-09 and they are the old version with date code of 12-08.

"old version" is still being produced btw. It appears that they are not replacing current production molds/machines with the new style but adding in new production with the new style as of right now. I was told that only one distributor is getting the new style right now. Obviously as they replace production equipment they will use the new style to replace it with.

chadbag
02-21-09, 18:36
I've got two PMAG orders pending with you already, and I while I knew E-GUNS was good, I didn't realize that you were so good that you could ship PMAGs 9-10 months before they were even manufactured. That's epic! :D

Are you filling FDE ACS orders now too, by chance? LOL

AC

ACS == wish I was... Supposedly several weeks out still (which probably translates to months LOL)

kingc
02-21-09, 19:05
Maybe they could do up a few cases of 8/94's:D

96GTS
02-21-09, 20:08
I have a couple OD w/ window Pmags with 11/09 stamps. Guess I won't use them for 9 more months:(

tonyc
02-21-09, 20:44
I think it's an expiration date instead of a manufacure date? Those things will turn into pumpkins after midnight 12-31-09!:D

Bimmer
02-22-09, 00:03

+1

I'd buy 20. And I'd be able to sell 10,000 more to the guys on CalGuns.net

Army Chief
02-22-09, 01:17
I think it's an expiration date instead of a manufacure date? Those things will turn into pumpkins after midnight 12-31-09!:D

More likely a "sell by" date -- I've heard that PMAGs go bad if they aren't sold quickly, which is why I try to keep fresh ones coming in as often as I can. ;)

AC

mvician
02-22-09, 02:11
About half of the last batch I got from BravoCompany are the 12/09 mags.

M4tographer
02-22-09, 11:46
Chad,

Put them on Gunbroker and sell them as special pre-production mags or some such nonsense. They'll probably sell like hot cakes.

Call them 'pre-post-ban' :D

Ridge_Runner_5
02-22-09, 12:49
Yeah that is the expiration date...

kittyhawk
02-22-09, 19:00
I checked the 25 I got last week and they are all 12/09.

Dave

Bimmer
02-22-09, 19:04
So much for MagPul's vaunted quality control...

Seriously, I'd really, REALLY like to have 10 PMAGs date-stamped 07/94.

Anybody think that MagPul would be willing to do a special run?

Bimmer

NickB
02-22-09, 20:09

Oh man, now that's funny... :D

Bimmer
02-22-09, 20:15
Seriously, I don't want to get MagPul in trouble, but it sounds like the date-stamps can be whatever you want to make them, so why not?

For those of us in "un-free" states who are getting PMAGs as parts-kits to replace pre-ban mags and/or getting them as blocked 10-rounders, this would be a really nice touch...

Hell, if you just back-dated them to 1999 it would make life in California a hell of a lot easier. You'd sell millions of these to the guys on CalGuns.

Bimmer

NickB
02-22-09, 20:20
Seriously, I don't want to get MagPul in trouble, but it sounds like the date-stamps can be whatever you want to make them, so why not?

For those of us in "un-free" states who are getting PMAGs as parts-kits to replace pre-ban mags and/or getting them as blocked 10-rounders, this would be a really nice touch...

Hell, if you just back-dated them to 1999 it would make life in California a hell of a lot easier. You'd sell millions of these to the guys on CalGuns.

Bimmer

I like the idea, but I see a lot of legal issues in that plan somewhere...:p

Bimmer
02-22-09, 20:59
I like the idea, but I see a lot of legal issues in that plan somewhere...:p

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't see any real legal issues. You're not required to date-stamp mags (plenty of manufacturers don't).

PMAGs are already available here in the PRK (as "parts kits" to replace pre-ban mags or to build 10-rounders), so why not make up a special batch of 1994- or 1999-date-stamped commemorative mag bodies?

I love my country, but I hate my stupid state government,

Bimmer

nfranco
02-22-09, 22:21

Bimmer
I'm IN!

DRT
02-25-09, 20:34
Chad - Just curious, how far are you into filling your orders for black, non-windowed 30 rounders from November? U r getting these more regularly from magpul like they promised?

chadbag
02-26-09, 01:52
Chad - Just curious, how far are you into filling your orders for black, non-windowed 30 rounders from November? U r getting these more regularly from magpul like they promised?

About 450 mags in. I have not been getting as many as I thought I would though I have opened up a new source besides Magpul direct. I am now also ordering PMAGs (so far plain black only) from one of the distributors as well who supposedly is well supplied.

It appears Magpul has kind of been neglecting their direct dealers in trying to fulfill their distributor contracts. I don't know that for sure but that is what it feels like.

Not trying to avoid the question though -- about Nov 8/9 (started Nov 4). Other colors, windowed mags, etc may be further along since there are fewer orders for those.

BigTime
02-26-09, 02:43
I also have a couple of OD green windowed mags with a date of 11/09,I wonder if soon Obama reinstates the weapons and high caps ban before 11/09 what will happen?

nighthawk756
02-26-09, 13:40
Yep, about half of my order I just got from Quantico were 12/09 dated. :cool:

gyp_c2
02-28-09, 09:54
...new... old...what's the dif'?
I still haven't got my Brownells order from November so...all mine are old I guess?
Is there a functional difference or no?
http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

DRT
02-28-09, 12:30
It appears Magpul has kind of been neglecting their direct dealers in trying to fulfill their distributor contracts. I don't know that for sure but that is what it feels like.

Just curious, what companies are their largest distributors?