PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with 1911's with Dawson rails.

350_eight08
02-21-09, 17:59
I would like some input from those of you who own 1911's with Dawson rails. I have just recently had a Dawson rail installed on my Kimber Custom II and can't seem to find belt holsters which fit the gun without a light. I was under the impression that what made the Dawson so appealing is that even with out the light, it could still be used with most standard 1911holsters. So far everything I have tried will not work. Any suggestions or input of what you use will be greatly appreciated!

R Moran
02-21-09, 18:10
Kramer molds holsters specifically for the rail, I have one of the IWB models.

When most people talk about using the same holster, they mean it can be stretched to fit with the rail.

Bob

kaltblitz
02-21-09, 18:11
I ran into the same problem. If you like cheap leather like Bianchi stuff then sometimes it will fit.

Kramer Leather makes holsters that fit the Dawson rail. You HAVE to specify to them that your gun has that rail. They usually have a short wait of around a month or less.

5Shot Leather (which is some of the best stuff out right now) makes holsters for the Dawson as well. He has around a six or eight month weight but his stuff is more than worth it.

Broomeland is tooling up to make leather for the Dawson right now. I actually bought and sent him a rail so he could make me a holster for it.

Any of these guys will take care of you.

FYI- If you are looking for a duty/tactical holster, use the same Safariland fit code as a Springfield Operator with a M3 light attached. That fit code works with the Dawson with X200/X300. That's my work rig right now.

Blake
02-21-09, 18:13
I have a Alessi/Heinie DOJ holster that my Nighthawk 10-8 fits. I bought the gun and holster used, so I'm not sure if it was made to fit, or if it just was worked in over time. I had three 1911 holsters before I got this weapon, and some worked some did not.

VooDoo6Actual
02-21-09, 19:47
In short, it depends on media your using for a holster.

Kydex etc. is the only way for me.

350_eight08
02-22-09, 07:08
Thank you all for the information! Very helpful stuff.

Ben Lenett
02-22-09, 08:39
When we needed to have a large quantity of holsters produced for the Dawson Rail/Gov. Model combo, I went to multiple manufacturers to discuss needs.

In the end I sent a pistol to Kramer and Comp-Tac, which is what their current molds are derived from for open sales. Both companies offer quality and customer service that is the best available today.

You will not be dissapointed with either choice. For fitting purposes each company received a DET-1 Kimber with Dawson Rail.

I hope that info makes your decision easier.

sff70
02-22-09, 12:06
In addition to the suggestions above . . .

Raven's holster for M1913 railed 1911s will fit a 1911 with a Dawson rail.

Aubrey
02-22-09, 12:32
Comp-Tac makes holsters specifically for 1911+Dawson rail. Quality, service, and turnaround time are excellent.

http://www.comp-tac.com/

I have their "Belt Holster" and have been very pleased with it after two classes and some cool-weather concealed carry. The only issue I encountered was that the tension-adjustment screws loosened up during the first class, which I addressed with some blue Loktite.

My Milt Sparks VMII, which I purchased long before I had the rails installed, is still a bit too tight for my tastes, even after lots of plastic-baggie time to stretch it over the rail.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-22-09, 12:45
I thought the rails were cool. But when you look at the cost of putting them on, the fact you have a Franken gun, and the holster issue, I decided to go with a new railed gun.

I look at it this way, if the rail is critical, it's a save-your-butt kind of gun, wouldn't a spare gun be a good idea? Unless you are talking about a high end gun, the direct costs and the indirect cost of adding a rail just don't make economic and logistical sense, for me.

Why pass up a somewhat legitimate reason to buy a new gun? Who wouldn't want a new STI Tac or Springfield Operator? Or a new Glock or Sig?

Does anyone tap the dust cover so that you can screw and unscrew the the rail add-on? That would help with the non-lit holster issue.

R Moran
02-22-09, 13:43
Aubrey,
I tried the to stretch my Summer Special with the baggie, it never really worked out. I ended up giving it to Matt, I think.

Cold Dead,
The add on rail, especially the Dawson has some advantages. It is cheaper then a new gun, especially if you have more then a few 1911's or others to begin with.
many feel the Dawson does not significantly alter the handling characteristics of the gun, when no light is installed.
Some report they are lighter, I haven't weighed them, so...
And the holster issue, even a holster molded specifically for the rail will lower profile.
If the install is quality work, the modifying thing should not be an issue.

If you want a removable rail, the SureFire rail in an option.

Check out 10-8 for some detail on rails and holsters for them.

Bob

ETA: I've used an older Blade-tech with mixed results, just by loosening the tension screws. Some have used a larger spacer, and longer screws with success

VooDoo6Actual
02-22-09, 14:31
FromMyColdDeadHand writes:

"Does anyone tap the dust cover so that you can screw and unscrew the the rail add-on? That would help with the non-lit holster issue."

It is a Drill and Tap w/ Loctite method that Dawson uses to affix the Light Rail to dust cover.

It would NOT be a good idea to repeatedly unscrew the Light Mount multiple times for holster use.

It would be FAR better to :

Leave Light Rail securely attached and affixed to Dust Cover.

A) Get correct holster fitted for specific weapon platform.

B) As was mentioned, many KYDEX holsters can be retro-fitted to work using slightly larger length rubber hose coupled w/ longer screws to adjust weapon w/ rail to correctly fit (with correct weapon retention for draws and re-holstering) into KYDEX Holster. Notwithstanding, keep in mind this is NOT w/ light attached.

A new Holster w/ correct fitment of that specific platform for use W/ Light attached will be needed if the it is desired to carry light attached to Gun.

HTH...

KevinB
02-22-09, 14:48
I've found several leather 1911 holsters will fit a 1911 with Dawson, it really depends on the cut of the hoslter.

I have stopped adding Dawson rails to my guns, and use the Novak rail, it allows the use of the SF light w/o a proprietary adaptor (even though I like the Dawson adaptor) - and it keeps the guns profile to the "normal" rail gun profile.

R Moran
02-22-09, 15:14
Kevin,
Will the guns fitted with teh Novak rail fit into holsters moled for an integral rail, like the Operator and Warrior?

Bob

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-22-09, 16:48
I've found several leather 1911 holsters will fit a 1911 with Dawson, it really depends on the cut of the hoslter.

I have stopped adding Dawson rails to my guns, and use the Novak rail, it allows the use of the SF light w/o a proprietary adaptor (even though I like the Dawson adaptor) - and it keeps the guns profile to the "normal" rail gun profile.

Got a pic of the Dawson versus the Novak?

KevinB
02-22-09, 17:35
Bob,

Just going to check.

Checked -- fit - but I would not say retained.

decodeddiesel
02-22-09, 23:17
Another Dawson question, and I don't mean to hijack or throw this thread off topic, but I thought starting a new thread would not be appropriate.

Anyway, I have an X200 on my Dawson rail, which Surefire remote switch do I need to work with my Springfield Loaded? Thanks.

Aubrey
02-23-09, 11:32
Another Dawson question, and I don't mean to hijack or throw this thread off topic, but I thought starting a new thread would not be appropriate.

Anyway, I have an X200 on my Dawson rail, which Surefire remote switch do I need to work with my Springfield Loaded? Thanks.

If you're referring to the DEVGRU switch, I believe that DG-18 is the closest. It does require a little careful bending.

STS
02-23-09, 20:10

I just learned something new. Thanks! I wish I knew this a while back when I went to Dawson rails. If there is one thing I do not like about the rail is that it requires the light to use a different adapter.

R Moran
02-23-09, 21:22
Kevin,
Thanks I'll look into it. I have in addition to a Dawson rail, a custom made rail on another gun, and I've been looking at replacing it. I'd need to get a blank, either Dawson of Novak so it can be drilled to match the bolt pattern on the gun now,
Course, the rail on it now, other then being large, works, and its a 1911, so its all back burner stuff now.

As far as the proprietary nature of the Dawson rail, it never really bothered me. Being constrained to a Surefire X series, is far from a problem.
I just set up one light with the adapter, for other guns, I have standard lights.
I can see the simplicity of logistics if they were all interchangeable though.

FWIW, as always Tim and Hilton have some excellent info over at 10-8, the SureFire adapter, while not as elegant a solution as the other systems, seems to work OK, and you don't have to mod the gun, and can switch back and forth. I have one, and ran it for a little while. I should dig it up, and shoot some more with it, but again that's back burner stuff.

Bob

KevinB
02-24-09, 07:48
Thats back burner because your a tuperware heathen Bob. :D

I agree on the issue of just have one Dawson setup light and leave it -- however the bitch came with different holsters for Dawson and for normal railed guns.

R Moran
02-24-09, 20:42
Thats back burner because your a tuperware heathen Bob. :D

That's just cold. Actually even LAV called me a "1911 guy", though I think he meant it as an insult. But he said it was OK for me:cool:

I agree on the issue of just have one Dawson setup light and leave it -- however the bitch came with different holsters for Dawson and for normal railed guns.

I just bought dedicated holsters for each gun. But I see your point. If I already had a railed 1911, I'd go your route. The Dawson really comes into its own for those that already have a 1911, and want to mount a light.

Logistics plays a big role.

Bob

Matt Edwards
02-24-09, 21:18
From R. Moran "Actually, even Lav called me a 1911 guy."

All right "Matt!":D

R Moran
02-25-09, 04:00
From R. Moran "Actually, even Lav called me a 1911 guy."

All right "Matt!":D

I know he meant that as an insult!:D

Bob

KevinB
02-25-09, 07:03
1911 guys rock.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Kev1911.jpg

It is the finest combat pistol made - but its not for some, and logisitcally its a nightmare to support if you dont have great armorer support - or a good gun and on top of your own PM.

Matt Edwards
02-25-09, 09:00
For the most part, I agree. Since I am terminally lazy, I tend you roll with plastic fantastic.
IF ammo, mags and gun parts were free, I'd probably shoot the Man Gun exclusively!

"IF, brother, IF."
Vin- The Magnificent Seven

R Moran
02-25-09, 20:14
Cool guy photo.....you win.

Kev, I actually wanted to ask you about that gun at class, but was to buzy screwin up.
Next time...

Bob

VooDoo6Actual
02-27-09, 16:50
350_eight08,

Here are some pics of what my Series 70' TiAN, KART NM Barrel, w/ Dawson Light Rail will shoot.

I shot these yesterday @ 30+ ft. using Mod. Isoceles. Targets are certified by LAX's Rangemaster Dan Cash. You may call him to verify @ 310.568.1515.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/425CommanderTiAN4.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0226Large-1.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0211Large.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0213Large.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0222Large.jpg

ETA: Keep in mind a Commander frame is slightly more than .25" shorter than Government frame.

decodeddiesel
04-21-09, 23:12
Well I hate to do this but i am bumping this thread.

I want a kydex (or hybrid) IWB holster for my 1911 that does not have a 6 month lead time. It has a Dawson rail. Seems my options are limited to the RCS Phantom or the Comptac CTAC. I was going to use an MTAC but they don't make a kydex body that works with the Dawson rail. Based on my experience with Comptac holsters I am currently leaning towards a CTAC. Someone talk some sense into me.

KevinB
04-22-09, 07:36
RCS -- I have one for mine -- works very very well.

sff70
04-22-09, 11:42
My vote goes to RCS.

Titleist
04-22-09, 14:57
I JUST got done fitting my Kimber 1911 + Dawson / X300 in to a Safariland 6004. At first go it absolutely would not fit. I ended up having to use a heat gun to relax some of the bends on the top of the holster, when those gave a little slack and the thing was hot as hell I fit the gun in.

Let it cool, now it's like a glove.

Looks like the dawson rail puts the X300 just a tad too low compared to a normal 1911 (railed) and light.

R Moran
04-22-09, 18:54
The 6004 designed for an M3 on an integral rail, gives you enough room for the Dawson/X200 combo.

Bob

ThirdWatcher
04-23-09, 17:31
If anyone is interested in leather, A.E. Nelson has made three holsters for my Dawson rail equipped 1911 service pistol. They all fit like a glove right out of the box and will hold a non-rail equipped 1911 snugly, too.

The reverse is not true, though. (My Dawson rail-equipped 1911 will not fit in an A.E. Nelson holster cut for my non-rail equipped 1911.)

Visual inspection shows a small amount of leather removed under the trigger guard on the holster made for my Dawson rail equipped 1911.

www.nelsonleather.com