PDA

View Full Version : Gas vs. Piston Accuracy?

Josh-L
12-11-06, 18:32
This was brought up on another forum and I wanted some thoughts on it from some of you guys....

POF posted his new .308 upper and someone said they would rather have a gas upper then the piston setup because the piston would "mess with the harmonics of the barrel". Does that statement hold any water?

I am saving to get the POF upper and may eventually start using it as my primary precision rig instead of my bolt gun if it can hold moa out to 600.

VA_Dinger
12-11-06, 19:01
I would say BS based entirely on my limited experience with the HK416. It sure as hell isn’t holding anyone back in regards to accuracy.

FYI - Never listen to a bunch of fools who have probably never been within ten miles of gas piston AR upper in the first place.

deadwood83
12-11-06, 20:08
if they were speaking solely about insanely competitive benchrest then it might hold a little bit of water but as far as anything practical, go piston.

bigbore
12-11-06, 21:08
I would say BS based entirely on my limited experience with the HK416. It sure as hell isn’t holding anyone back in regards to accuracy.

Technically, all things equal other than the gas system, the DI will be the more mechanically accurate weapon. If you are splitting hairs so thin, that its a concern buy a bolt gun.