PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Coach P
02-21-09, 21:32
Hi Guys,

I am lookng to shoot beyond 1000 yards and I have heard that the Remington 700 Sendero SF II in 300 rum is the ticket. I want to make sure that this is going to do the job so I thought I would seek your advice.

What do you think ?

Coach P

Dave L.
02-22-09, 01:45
First off, beyond "1,000 yards" is broad statement.
To help us help you we need to know more information such as:
-Intended use of the weapon (target, hunting, both)
-Your price range for rifle and scope
-Do you reload?

Personally, I don't see the point of the Ultra Mags unless you reload. 95% of the time I'm sure you can get away with 300 Win Mag. 300 Rum has less commercially available loads than 300 Win Mag and it's around $10-20 cheaper per box.
Barrel life will be cut even shorter with 300 RUM.

If you have the money, get a .338 Lapua Mag. It seems to be the king of mid-size rounds.

Maybe a 300 RUM guy can explain the benefits of it...

Coach P
02-22-09, 02:32
Dave L

The weapon will be for target shooting only. I am looking to get to the 1500 – 1800 yard range. I do reload all my own ammo for my long guns.

My 308 is set up with a Leopold Mark 4 8.5 X 25 X 50 LR T-1 long range tactical scope and I am thinking of using the same scope for the 300.

I have priced this weapon at several shops and they are around $1200 to $1375. However I did find a shop today that quoted me $1098. I can get the scope from optics planet for $1299. So putting this together for under $2500 is very appealing.

I would love to get the 338, but the price is a bit more than I wanted to spend.
What can you tell me about barrel life? Because it’s a magnum does that cut the life considerably? Would I be looking at replacement within 1000 to 1500 rounds?

Thanks for the comments.

yrac
02-22-09, 06:44
Let me state up front that I can't speak from direct experience with either round (.338LM or .300RUM). However, at the ranges you mentioned above (1500-1800 yards), I believe you are going to find that the .338LM will be a much more solid performer, and that you may be disappointed with the .300RUM. If you're willing to scale back your distance expectations considerably, and keep it around the 1200yd mark, the .300RUM may serve you well. However, as Dave L. mentioned above, you'd be even better served by sticking with a .300WM, for which commercially loaded ammunition is much more readily available and much less expensive.

Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with getting something just because you want it. If you have a buring desire to own a rifle in .300RUM, then go for it. However, I think you're going to find that the .300RUM is basically going to be better suited to the hunter and/or reloading enthusiast, and that it will still be greatly inferior in performance to the .338 Lapua within the parameters you specified.

Dave L.
02-22-09, 07:28
Dave L

The weapon will be for target shooting only. I am looking to get to the 1500 – 1800 yard range. I do reload all my own ammo for my long guns.

My 308 is set up with a Leopold Mark 4 8.5 X 25 X 50 LR T-1 long range tactical scope and I am thinking of using the same scope for the 300.

I have priced this weapon at several shops and they are around $1200 to $1375. However I did find a shop today that quoted me $1098. I can get the scope from optics planet for $1299. So putting this together for under $2500 is very appealing.

I would love to get the 338, but the price is a bit more than I wanted to spend.
What can you tell me about barrel life? Because it’s a magnum does that cut the life considerably? Would I be looking at replacement within 1000 to 1500 rounds?

Thanks for the comments.

Coach P,

Those ranges are a little outside 300RUM/WM's capability. For best results you would really need to be in the .338 Lapua Mag or even a .408 Cheytac. The 1,200+ yard distance you specified is not a .300 cal's capabilities IMHO.

I've shot .300 WinMag at a mile(~1,750 yards), you could see the rounds impacting but the slightest wind gust would blow the round off target 30-40 feet.
By the time your spotter gives you the correction, and the flight time of the bullet, the wind would be completely different. My buddy did hit the 48" diameter target but it took him a box of ammo.

...It may be worth it to save up for a .338LM.

Cold Zero
02-22-09, 08:12
.338LM is the medium caliber Gold Standard.

Coach P
02-22-09, 22:12
Guys,

Thank you for your feedback concerning the 300rum. I kind of felt that I was asking the 300 to do more than it was capable of and you all helped confirm that my suspicions were correct. I was looking at the price more than its capabilities.

Truth be told my dream gun would be either a Barrett 98 Bravo 338 LM or an AWSM 338 LM. Both of these are truly dead sexy! Again thanks for your input, looks like I am going to save my coins for a little longer and get what I really want.

Coach P

KingChronic
02-22-09, 22:51
wow, alot of 338LM coolaid here. i have a 338LM too but i like my 300RUM's more for most stuff. im mainly a 30 cal fan and the 300RUM doesnt give up much to the 338LM. i shoot mine out to a mile regularly (just a few yards short of what you plan to shoot at max) and love it. i shot both 208Amax's, and 240SMK's. it performs great with both. one of my 300RUM's in a new sendero just like your talking about and it sits in a AICS 1.5 with a badger FTE break on it and topped with a NF NXS 5.5-22X50. i havnt brought it out to the mile mark yet but i have no doubt it will perform great. it loves 208 Amax's, but was a little picky about powder, i ended up with H1000.

yrac
02-23-09, 06:23
wow, alot of 338LM coolaid here.

Probably not the best start here, eh?

i have a 338LM too but i like my 300RUM's more for most stuff. im mainly a 30 cal fan and the 300RUM doesnt give up much to the 338LM. i shoot mine out to a mile regularly (just a few yards short of what you plan to shoot at max) and love it. i shot both 208Amax's, and 240SMK's. it performs great with both.

You may well have gotten hits at that distance. However, the fact that the .338LM is superior to the .300's at the distances described is not in dispute. I have made hits on steel at 150-200yds with a 9mm handgun, but I wouldn't choose that platform over a .308 bolt gun for regular shooting at that distance. I think most folks interpret the OP's question as "what would be the best choice for the conditions I have described?" as opposed to "what can I get by with in a pinch?"

Dave L.
02-23-09, 07:48
Coach P,

Remington does make a 700P in .338LM for around a $1,000 (http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-4514-833-remington-700p-mlr-338-lapua.aspx). I heard some of the early ones had faulty barrels, but I believe it's been corrected. This rifle may be a great way to start for the money and it seems to be in your price range.
I know Sniper Country PX carries them and I have had great customer service from them.
They could probably get you on a list.

Hope that helps make one more coolaid drinker ;)

KingChronic
02-23-09, 11:00

You may well have gotten hits at that distance. However, the fact that the .338LM is superior to the .300's at the distances described is not in dispute. I have made hits on steel at 150-200yds with a 9mm handgun, but I wouldn't choose that platform over a .308 bolt gun for regular shooting at that distance. I think most folks interpret the OP's question as "what would be the best choice for the conditions I have described?" as opposed to "what can I get by with in a pinch?"

i was responding to the fact people that admittedly had no experience with the cartridge were making it sound like it couldnt be done. well it can easily be done, and its a GREAT mile cartridge. ive probably gotten more first round hits with it than my 338 lapua. is 338 a little bet, well yes. will a 300RUM do 1 mile without a problem, you bet you ass it will.

thats all i was trying to say.

87GN
02-23-09, 12:26

I have no experience with either cartridge, but I'd take the word of someone who has experience with both over someone who, just like me, has no experience with either cartridge. I might as well just ask myself at that point.