PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Buffer in a CAR Stock?

Red B
02-22-09, 07:33
I'm thinking about getting a heavier buffer for my 16" barrel CAR gun. I have a rifle buffer from my conversion and thought I might try it to see if the extra weight might slow down for scoped single shot benchrest shooting.

Do you think that I would damage anything if I tried using the heavier rifle buffer in my 16" barrel Car stock gun? Thanks.

GHILLIE
02-22-09, 08:06
The rifle buffer tube as well as the rifle buffer are longer than the carbine tube and buffer. A rifle length buffer is too long to work properly in the carbine tube. If you want a heavier buffer, get a Colt 9mm buffer from PKFirearms for $25.
Lots of good info in the buffer sticky at the top of this page, including my testing with the 9mm buffers.

Iraqgunz
02-22-09, 09:46
Red B,

If you think that you need a heavier buffer, get an H, H2 or H3. Personally I think an H buffer would be fine for a 16" carbine (That's what mine have in them) and you shouldn't have any issues. I highly discourage you from putting a rifle buffer in there.

MisterWilson
02-22-09, 09:49
I don't even think a rifle buffer will allow the bolt to come back all the way.

Soulrack223
02-22-09, 09:52
Way too long.

Stickman
02-22-09, 16:25
Red B,

I highly discourage you from putting a rifle buffer in there.

Sort of a self correcting problem, and not one he would want to do.

KevinB
02-23-09, 11:35
Way to long - and the second 'hump' on the rifle buffer will further decrease the length of spring availble.

I cut down a rifle buffer sometime in 1995 when I was having trouble finding a carbine buffer - it would not function with a carbine buffer spring (too long due to the hump) and cutting a 'few' coils off the spring did nothing to help.

I ended up with a worthless rifle buffer and mangled spring, and had to buy a new carbine buffer and spring anyway.

glazer1972
02-23-09, 15:14
Get a 9mm buffer.

Red B
02-23-09, 19:40
Thanks for the advise everyone. I've now ordered in a DPMS heavy CAR buffer. Red