PDA

View Full Version : Federal TRU 55gr JSP

msstate56
02-22-09, 17:06
Does anyone have any information on Federal TRU 55gr JSP? The powers that be have chosen this as our duty load- against my advice. I have not seen much information on its performance. I know it is a plain Hi-Shok soft point, and I expect that is has poor intermediate barrier performance. If anyone has any data or opinions on this ammo I would appreciate it. Thank you for your help.

Molon
02-22-09, 18:13
In Federal's own testing, the load only penetrated 7.75" in bare gel and a pathetic 2.25" after passing through auto-glass. In almost every category, this load was one of the bottom three performers of all the Federal loads tested. See Federal's Law Enforcement .223 Rifle Data Book.

Marcus L.
02-22-09, 18:23
The last officer at my agency who was in charge of ammo purchases bought two cases of Winchester reduced recoil 00-buck for our Remington 11-87s. Obviously, none if would cycle the gas operation. She was one of those types that disregarded any informed information given to her by other officers......because she wasn't about to let a man tell her what to do.

Now that I'm in charge, I ensure that my guys get the right equipment.

msstate56,

Are you required to carry what your agency gives you?.....or can you use your own?

msstate56
02-22-09, 20:39
I have to carry what they issue. In fact they just revised our weapon policy to specifically state that we have to carry issue ammo in duty, back-up and off duty weapons. I have advised against this ammo from the start. Where can I access the Federal data book? Is it on their website? I need all the information that I can get, so I can present it to my supervisors. I would really like to see us use Winchester 64gr JSP, 60gr Partition; Speer 64gr Gold Dot; or Hornady TAP 62gr barrier (I would really like Federal Bonded but price excludes it as an option). Are there any other options in the price range of Federal TRU 55gr JSP that I missed? I don't know why they are so hung up on TRU 55gr, but I have to try to convince them otherwise.

DocGKR
02-23-09, 01:19
http://le.atk.com/pdf/223RifleDataBook.pdf

What other ammo is available via your state contract?

Since even ATK's own data clearly shows that the Federal TRU 55gr JSP does NOT meet the FBI, IWBA, or JSWB-IPT terminal performance specifications, ask your supervisors to articulate what scientific rationale they are using to justify their selection.

Keep in mind that while both the Winchster 64 gr RA223R2 and Federal 64 gr TRU T223L are inexpensive loads with good soft tissue performance, both offer poor terminal performance after automobile windshield intermediate barriers.

For more information on acceptable loads, read:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26127&page=2

msstate56
02-23-09, 13:29
Thank you Doc. I will print out this data, as well as your posts about acceptable duty ammunition. I will present this as forcefully as I can, but my opinion doesn't seem to count much. I may have to get up with you personally via email. Thank you again for your help.

DocGKR
02-23-09, 14:24
Additional information to help your admin properly assess gel test results is available at: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22323

There is also useful information here: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

Make sure they get a copy of the FBI BRF data by contacting SSA Buford Boone at Quantico...

ST911
02-25-09, 17:20
The 55gr JSP TRU is comparatively less expensive than the others in the line, and in consistently good supply. No surprise it's a popular choice.

msstate56
02-25-09, 22:30
I wouldn't care if someone gave us 55gr TRU for free. It is a terrible choice for patrol work, where there is a high probability of a OIS in and around vehicles. If the round won't work when you need it most- then what good is it?

DocGKR
02-25-09, 23:18
A cheap practice round?

ST911
02-26-09, 09:35
A cheap practice round?

Yup. Spendier, but certainly better than, the AE223.

And if it can be shipped rather than backordered, it's got a use.

firecop019
02-28-09, 06:09
We used to use a JSP round in our patrol rifles but found that after a while the soft point on the top round in the mag flattened out from either being dropped or just riding around our neglected streets. Either way thought I don't even want to begin to think what that bullet would do once it left the barrel. We ended up switching to Remington 55gr Power lokt. Chief decided that it was a good round even though we researched for weeks and liked the bonded stuff from Federal. But it rides so much better in the cars I'm not going to complain too much.

GLOCKMASTER
02-28-09, 08:03
We are stuck with this round for right now. I'm meeting resistance in getting it out of inventory. I'm trying to get the SPEER .223 GDHP for our members. After being present for two ballistic gel shoots where the .223 SPEER Gold Dot HP was tested, I think it is a good selection if you cannot afford to purchase the bonded rounds.

firecop019
02-28-09, 19:11
I wish you the best of luck.

msstate56
03-02-09, 00:06
I have presented the data to the powers that be. I don't know how it will turn out, but most of the other officers have been made aware of the situation. Thank you for all your help.

msstate56
06-10-09, 15:37
I just wanted to give an update on our department's rifle duty ammo. We just purchased Federal Tactical Bonded 55 grain. I couldn't be happier. Due in no small part to Dr. Gary Roberts and his invaluable ballistic data. I would like to give a big thanks to Dr. Roberts for all his help.

DocGKR
06-10-09, 15:42
My pleasure--I am very glad you got a good load.

Molon
06-10-09, 17:08
I'm trying to get the SPEER .223 GDHP for our members. After being present for two ballistic gel shoots where the .223 SPEER Gold Dot HP was tested, I think it is a good selection if you cannot afford to purchase the bonded rounds.

If you are referring to the Speer 64 grain Gold Dot, it is a bonded bullet. Also, it's a JSP, not a hollow point.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ezqc8jadu3.jpg