PDA

View Full Version : Solution for Retaining Excess Webbing/Straps on your Chest Rigs/ETC.

Razorhunter
02-22-09, 18:03
I've been searching the net for a nice clean method of securing the excess strap webbing on my Eagle/SKD Universal Chest Rig, and came across a couple items that might do the trick. This of course, would be an alternative to using black electricians tape/etc, which just isn't desireable.
For years I used to see loads and loads of those Military-Industrial type black rubber bands, which were about 1" - 1.5" thick, and almost had the look of bicycle tubing. They were super tough rubber bands, and were great. However, I cannot seem to find them anymore, nor do I recall their proper name.
SO, I came across this item, which is sized and shaped exactly like the black rubber bands I used to see, as mentioned above.
Scroll down to the two LOWER LEFT products on this page: "TAG LBE Bands" and also "TAG Elastic Keepers"
Now I don't know what the differences are between the two, but I'm thinking they MIGHT work for the purpose of securing the excess webbing that hangs off of my Eage/SKD chest rig. I should mention that the reason I want to SECURE the excess webbing, is because I like to have the option of wearing the chest rig over various layers of clothing in cold weather, and over a simple T-shirt in warm weather.
SO, check em out, and tell me what you think:

http://www.blackbearhardware.com/accessories.html

The next product I found, which, at THIS moment in time, appears to me to POSSIBLY be a slightly better solution, and seems to be made for this exact purpose. However, without having all the items here to try out, I cannot be sure which would be the most feasible.
http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=47

What do you all think about the above products? Also, does anyone know about the black rubber bands, which favored the look of bicycle inner tubing, which I spoke of earlier at the beginning of this post?
I sure would like to find those black "bands"/gear keepers again.
I am interested in hearing what other products you guys may have found for purposes such as this?

jnr4817
02-22-09, 19:45
The web dominators are great. I bought some in bulk from www.supplycaptain.com

They are easy to use and you can customize length of shock cord for amount of retention.

I also use to store my camelback tubing and other bits and pieces.

Jason Reed

Buck50
02-22-09, 19:55
Web Dominators work well. I also use two-sided velcro strips. The velcro comes in rolls and is about 3/4" in width and is available at most craft stores.

vaspence
02-22-09, 20:51
Duct tape, it's been used for years. OOPs just reread and saw you didn't want to use it but it does work well.

Derek_Connor
02-22-09, 20:54
I'll have to go the other way on this one. I've used the web dominators, and the majority mine have gotten loose or snagged on something.

If you dont have enough excess cord it will not fill up the dominator and in negate its use..

OD/FDE 100mph tape always wins out in my experience..

Gutshot John
02-22-09, 23:03
100 mph tape. Generally you should be dummy taping certain things anyway.

Razorhunter
02-23-09, 00:42
I clicked that link, and didn't see any "web dominators".
Are they the same type product that I linked above in my last link?

I'll pass on the adhesive tape of any kind guys. OF COURSE it holds, but I'm not sure I want to have to cut tape off and leave glue residue behind (after long periods of the tape being in place), all because I want to make an adjustment to a strap?
Some straps might not adjusting often, but still, tape isn't for me in this case. If I were out fighting in the sandbox, sure I'd tape everything, but I guess I just think a rubber band/etc would be so much nicer. Slide it up and down, and use it repeatedly, without cutting it and having to replace it any time I want to loosen it.
I can see the use for it though.

jnr4817
02-23-09, 07:10
http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=304&ParentCat=30

linked to the product page.

I really do like them. I have not had any issues with them popping loose or getting tangled on any brush.

I am just a casual shooter, but they do the job nicely.

Jason Reed

eggroll
02-23-09, 18:53
needle

thread

about 2 yds of 1"elastic webbing from your local sew supply shop

go to town

Reddevil
02-24-09, 09:24
I tried the Web Dominators on My Eagle LEO Universal MOLLE Carrier and they were too small for the wider webbing. I just used good old black duct tape and it's held up for a few months now.

BrianB
02-24-09, 17:25
I use these and they are perfect;)

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/retainingbands.aspx

Steelblitz
02-24-09, 17:39
OD green duct tape and/or elastic boot bands is all we used when I was in the Corps.

tiger seven
02-25-09, 05:36
If you're worried about sticky residue, don't use duct tape. Use gaffer tape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

It even comes in OD. :)

http://www.goodbuyguys.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22_86_91/products_id/471

On topic, I have some of the web dominators from Supply Captain and I like them. I will admit I haven't put them to really hard use, but so far I haven't had any problems. I tried the TAG elastic keepers but they didn't have enough tension for my tastes. They just didn't feel secure.

Derek

pictaker
03-06-09, 21:31
This may sound simplistic but i have used and still use black rubber O rings that I got from Home Depot. I use 1/2" and 3/4" rings for the excess on my slings and the same on my vest. They work well !

Audacia77
04-03-09, 15:18
+1 on the Web Dominators.

A little late in the game but...

I have been using them for over a year now on my Kifaru Marauder and have had zero issues. Have a total of 10 on one bag. They are quick to undo, adjust and redo. Only suggestion is to keep them on the short side to keep the rolled strap nice and tight.

I also use them on my chest rig to secure my tourniquet. Useful little buggers.

Hope this helped.

rkb3119
04-07-09, 11:35
I have had good luck using this, just cut it to the length you need:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21857

Hawkeye
04-07-09, 11:49
OD/FDE 100mph tape always wins out in my experience..

I have/use web dominators, and they have their place, but, this has long been my default as well.

I know you said you dont want to use the 100mph tape, but I've never had any issues with things being sticky, etc.

Swavy00
04-08-09, 00:25
Cut a bike tube to fit.

trinydex
04-08-09, 10:44
in that case couldn't you use heat shrink tubing?

TAZ
04-15-09, 14:20
I have used the double sided velco strips with decent success. The wider sizes seem to work better for me though. You should be able to find them in colors other than black by now if you care about color matching. For packs I tend to get a bunch of extra figure 8 retainers (have no clue what they are called) and thread them onto my straps. They can then keep the ends from flapping about. Figure out the min and max adjustment range and then trim off extra as needed.

Lately though I just use tape. Even el cheapo Chicom electrical tape doesn't make things sticky after enduring a TX summer. Get some quality tape and you should be fine and not run into sticky straps.