PDA

View Full Version : Need a digital scale and caliper/micometer

HTTTRH
02-22-09, 22:15
Would like a digital scale that is very accurate but dont want to spend a million dollars, the same with a micrometer or another suggestion for double checking 223 case size.

The scale is mainly for double integrity when it comes to getting my grain weight correct.

What can you guys suggest, thanks!

Steelblitz
02-22-09, 22:26
For the calipers...the best out there are Starrett, Browne & Sharpe, and Mitutoyo. I use digital Mitutoyo's that are left over's from my tool and die days. The Mit's are about $100.

SMJayman
02-22-09, 22:48
Harbor Freight carries a very inexpensive set of calipers, like $14, IIRC.

markm
02-23-09, 07:49
I don't use calipers for checking rifle case dimensions. A case guage is much cheaper and more efficient. It checks everything at once.

Storydude
02-23-09, 07:55
I have one of the PACT Scales. Works great, holds zero, but like most electronic scales, it's REALLY tweaked by Interference from Fluorescent lights.
I use the PACT dispenser with it for load development and it makes life MUCHO easier than trickling charges by hand.

Just remember to calibrate before EVERY loading session and keep the scale out of breezy areas. These things are so sensitive they can measure changes in air pressure from light drafts/breezes.

as for Calipers, I bought a set from Ebay. They are china made, but remember. If you only use one set for measurements, they will be accurate enough for your needs. Needing a 600 dollar caliper only comes in to need for precision and repeatability in measurements. Measuring OAL with a set of Harbor Freight ones will be accurate enough for 99% of the reloaders out there.

achildofthesky
02-23-09, 11:11
Try fleabay for a decent set of DIAL calipers. I bought a nice wood cased set of Brown & Sharp for about $30 shipped... Don't go cheap. Guages are fine for 1 thing only but the calipers are infinitely more useful for many reloading and general gunsmithing tasks and have a great accuracy edge...

Be safe
Patty

HTTTRH
02-23-09, 11:21
Try fleabay for a decent set of DIAL calipers. I bought a nice wood cased set of Brown & Sharp for about $30 shipped... Don't go cheap. Guages are fine for 1 thing only but the calipers are infinitely more useful for many reloading and general gunsmithing tasks and have a great accuracy edge...

Be safe
Patty

I just bought a Mitutoyo $44 off fleabay based on yours and previous responses, thanks guys for the help, Im off to look at pact scales....PS I did pick up a case gauge just to be sure, thanks a million!

Steelblitz
02-23-09, 12:32
I just bought a Mitutoyo $44 off fleabay based on yours and previous responses, thanks guys for the help, Im off to look at pact scales....PS I did pick up a case gauge just to be sure, thanks a million!

Nice job, sounds like you got a nice deal, you'll be glad you bought a quality set. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

HTTTRH
02-24-09, 03:08
Scale question for those who have used them, what difference or pros and cons can I expect form the these 2 PACT scales:

BBK2

Digital Precision Powder Scale (DPPS)

nemohunter
02-24-09, 06:20
my first digital was BBK. a great little scale as a stand alone. if all you are doing is checking charge wieghts then you would be fine with it. on the other hand if you get more into reloading as most do the the DPPS is upgradable with the the dispenser. this is the set up i run now. mine is Green though. made by Pact for RCBS.

Storydude
02-24-09, 15:35
Scale question for those who have used them, what difference or pros and cons can I expect form the these 2 PACT scales:

BBK2

Digital Precision Powder Scale (DPPS)

I use the DPPS. I'd bet they are very close internally, aside from the IR sensor/emitter.

HTTTRH
02-25-09, 16:47
Is Frankford Arsenal stuff good? Which products of theirs are worth a look and which ones arent? Thanks

ra2bach
02-25-09, 22:07
I'll second the Pact scale. but I have an old balance beam scale that I occasionally check it against. it has been very accurate for many years.

also, I think MidwayUSA has their electronic calipers on sale right now. I started with a set of dial calipers and still have this but the electronic is much faster and easier. I still check it with the dial caliper from time to time and never found it out of spec.