PDA

View Full Version : Need an Air Rifle

scottryan
02-22-09, 22:51
My 35 year old .20 cal Sheridan when out.

I'm looking for a new one and I want something quality and not made in China.

I'm looking for a sporting gun and not a target gun.

I'm leaning to getting a one cock rifle but still keeping my options open. I'm open to .177 .20 or .22.

DRich
02-22-09, 23:28
Hard to go wrong with an RWS 48. As far as I'm concerned, it's the gold standard for sporting air rifles. I've had one (.22cal) for years, but I'm currently looking for quieter model. The 48 is pretty loud and my new neighbors have already expressed their displeasure at my backyard plinking.

Pyramidair.com usually has the best prices on high-end air rifles and they also have a great selection of pellets to choose from.

scottryan
02-23-09, 08:48
Hard to go wrong with an RWS 48. As far as I'm concerned, it's the gold standard for sporting air rifles. I've had one (.22cal) for years, but I'm currently looking for quieter model. The 48 is pretty loud and my new neighbors have already expressed their displeasure at my backyard plinking.

Pyramidair.com usually has the best prices on high-end air rifles and they also have a great selection of pellets to choose from.

I was looking at that myself. How loud is it compared to a .22lr rifle?

Nathan_Bell
02-23-09, 09:26
I was looking at that myself. How loud is it compared to a .22lr rifle?

I have an RWS 54 in .177 and it is about as loud as a 22CB at 15 yards.

DRich
02-23-09, 10:36
I have an RWS 54 in .177 and it is about as loud as a 22CB at 15 yards.

The .22cal RWS 48 is pretty close to the CB, as well. It's not as loud as a .22 Short, but it's louder than my Aguila Super Colibri .22LR ammo (which is just a .22LR bullet with a primer...no powder).

On the plus side, the 48 is a lot more accurate and packs a bigger punch than the Colibri on my yard pests. Grackles, tree rats and moles are easy prey for the 48.

Ttwwaack
02-23-09, 12:17
If you are looking for used, check American Airguns Classified Ads - Classifieds. You can come accross some nice springers occassionally at reasonable prices.

BigDozer66
02-23-09, 18:55
I have a RWS Model 48 in .177 caliber topped with a Leupold 4-12 AO scope.:cool:
If I were looking for a second model I would get another Model 48.;)
If you are just "wanting" another one then I won't try to stop you but there are places that will rebuild your Benji for you.:cool:
I have dispatched Possums in the back yard with it. I don't have any pest birds etc. so I haven't taken any of them but I am confident that it would.
BigDozer66