PDA

View Full Version : Best light weight 16" Mid-Length 1/7 Barrel?

John Hearne
12-12-06, 01:18
I hope that 2007 will hold a new upper for me. I'm currently running a Noveske 16" mid-length. The barrel is far more accurate than I am but this accuracy seems to be wasted since its a patrol gun with an 4moa Aimpoint for optic.

I'd like to build a lighter weight upper but don't know what to choose for a barrel. I like what I've read about the BCM barrels but it doesn't sound like you can actually get one.

What does the group recommend, chrome lined is definitely preferred.

thanks in advance........

Robb Jensen
12-12-06, 04:13
You could reprofile a Sabre Defense 16" Middy barrel to .625" but if I already had a Noveske I'd just keep using it.

Glockster35
12-12-06, 08:39
If you are happy with the accuracy, I agree, send it off to get turned on a lathe, lighten it up a bit. That is too good a barrel to sit in a closet unused.

AR15 Barrels site (http://www.ar15barrels.com/)

I know they can do it!

LOKNLOD
12-12-06, 09:47
CMMG has a 14.5" Lightweight Mid-Length Barrel w/Permanent Hider. I don't see a 16" Lightweight Mid on their site but you could ask -- it's possible that the 14.5" starts out as a 16" somewhere in its life.

I don't have any direct experience with CMMG though.

Snake RAH
12-13-06, 18:25
You could try a Cavalry Arms midlength upper. It is .625 under the handguards, and .75 forward of the handguard cap. Mine shoots very well for a chromelined upper.

EDIT: Just saw that you want 1/7 twist. Sorry. Please disregard.

Derek_Connor
12-13-06, 19:18
I have had lots of success with Lilja blanks, profiled to whatever specs you'd like. They make a competition barrel, profiled by Compass Lake, fluted, middy...might want to look at the route..

JFPATCH
12-15-06, 22:11
I have had lots of success with Lilja blanks, profiled to whatever specs you'd like. They make a competition barrel, profiled by Compass Lake, fluted, middy...might want to look at the route..

Mr. Connor,

Is CLE the source for the barrel you describe above?

Derek_Connor
12-16-06, 08:02
Mr. Connor,

Is CLE the source for the barrel you describe above?

Lilja Precision Barrels (http://www.riflebarrels.com/about/default.htm) makes the blanks, then you can have them sent to Compass Lake Engineering (http://www.compasslake.com) for the final finishing.

Be ready to wait though :)

9DivDoc
12-18-06, 18:22
What does the group recommend, chrome lined is definitely preferred.

Given your Cr lined preference....and assuming your not wanting to wait for a
BCM middie....

I'd go with the Sabre Defence govt profiled 16" mid length gas system...and have it re-profiled and cut to 14.5 and a vortex flash hider pinned by Randall Rausch ..aka ar15barrels.com

I've heard that going 'thin' on stainless barrel is contra-indicated (why I am not sure) other than stainless being softer..compared to CrMoly...hopefully someone will more expertise will jump in and shed some light on light profiled stainless barrels...go or no go?

Bliss
12-20-06, 03:19
if you want lighter-go shorter. i'd keep the 16" like you have it and build a second w/ a 12.5, either noveske or lilja/frank white. it's a nice high-speed size that's reliable (more then a 10 or shorter) w/ a mid-length gas system. my two-cents anyhow.

Todd.K
12-20-06, 09:56
I think you could be happy with a 14.5" M4 profile.

Then you can put a nice scope on the Noveske upper and have a long range SPRish gun.

M4arc
12-20-06, 11:10
I would, without hesitation, suggest a BCM upper but they are not available at this time. Therefore I would suggest a Sabre Defence middy instead. I have one and I'm extremely happy with it.

John Hearne
01-13-07, 19:38
John,

Thanks for the heads up. I kinda know Wes, he built my current Noveske-barreled rifle for me. See you in February....

Another John

Zak Smith
01-13-07, 19:59
I'm still using a 16" Rock River midlength (SS), which I had turned down under the handguards. I pound it all the time and it works great. No need to spend tons of cash.

Hawkeye
01-14-07, 10:12
I love both my Sabre 16" mid and my CMMG 14.5" lightweight mid. If you really want a light one, the 14.5" CMMG light weight mid is great.

Akoni
01-14-07, 11:53
I've heard that going 'thin' on stainless barrel is contra-indicated (why I am not sure) other than stainless being softer..compared to CrMoly...hopefully someone will more expertise will jump in and shed some light on light profiled stainless barrels...go or no go?

Not an expert but it has to do with SS's ability to shed heat and retain strength while heated. For instance, the SPR barrel profile was arrived at because that was as thin as they could go at that length while maintaining some capacity for FA operation.