PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Holsters

theJanitor
02-23-09, 12:20
My wedding is coming up in September, and it's going to be out in the countryside at a converted ranch/estate. I need some help in what kind of belt holster i should order for myself and my little brother. We've got a consecutive number pair of Les Baer commander size 1911's and I thought i'd order a custom set of matching holsters and belts for us. Can you guys give me some suggestions on what to order and whom to order from?

things to consider:

We will both be wearing suits, not tuxedos, and i WON'T be on horseback :D
I'm 5'10" and 200lb, little bro is 5'9" and 135lb
I don't think that i'll be taking my pistol/holster to get my suit fitted, so no IWB
is six months enough time to get these ordered/delivered?

thanks for any suggestions guys!!

Gutshot John
02-23-09, 12:46
My wedding is coming up in September, and it's going to be out in the countryside at a converted ranch/estate. I need some help in what kind of belt holster i should order for myself and my little brother. We've got a consecutive number pair of Les Baer commander size 1911's and I thought i'd order a custom set of matching holsters and belts for us. Can you guys give me some suggestions on what to order and whom to order from?

things to consider:

I don't think that i'll be taking my pistol/holster to get my suit fitted, so no IWB

While I'd never discourage anyone from excercizing their Constitutional RKBA my first suggestion is to check with your bride (if you haven't already) and make sure she's cool with you carrying at HER wedding. You didn't think it was your wedding did you? :p

She may have guests and family that are less comfortable and she'll probably want to be the center of attention instead of you. I made a similar mistake in going off the reservation (not about weapons) which turned out to be no big deal because she locked me up quick.

Just a suggestion to maintain marital bliss on your wedding night.

theJanitor
02-23-09, 12:50
yes, she is well informed. and our families are pro-gun as well. :D

i'm hoping that with the right setup, no-one will even realize what we're carrying.

Joe R.
02-23-09, 15:30
Milt Sparks. Tony makes some great holsters that not only look nice, but work extremely well.

Spurholder
02-23-09, 15:37
Given your timeline, you might want to try out Kramer or Mitch Rosen.

You are keeping your S2000, right?

Congratulations again!

theJanitor
02-23-09, 15:44
how long is the wait for Nossar, Bulman?

BTW spurholder, how did you know i have an S2k? we actually had two:

i sold this:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h30/grandprixboy/gpwkakaako5-1-2007068c.jpg

and kept this one:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1061/744211324_bac7e95bb7_b.jpg

skipper49
02-23-09, 16:20
Shoulda seen the puzzled look on the little old ladies face when she hugged me at our wedding six years ago. She put her hand right on top of my Kahr P-40 and moved it away quickly. Nothing was ever said. :)

Skip

Kaos
02-23-09, 16:23
this guy advertises on the main forum I post on...he makes some wicked looking stuff

http://www.purekustom.com/purekustomholsters_new.htm

theJanitor
02-23-09, 16:31
Shoulda seen the puzzled look on the little old ladies face when she hugged me at our wedding six years ago. She put her hand right on top of my Kahr P-40 and moved it away quickly. Nothing was ever said. :)

Skip

i never thought about how much hugging i would be doing. maybe a SOB/MOB would be better? shoulder rig?

Buckshot TX
02-23-09, 18:33
I went w/ a Colt Cobra in an ankle rig for my wedding. Too many huggy, spookable sheeple to not compromise for that one event.

PlatoCATM
02-23-09, 18:58
I have a Haugen Handgun Leather for my commander size 1911. It is well-built and has a fine finish.

mkemmerl
02-23-09, 20:47
Congratulations on the wedding! I have a K&D Holsters IWB and the quality is great. It's really too nice to hide. They turned my order around in about 16 weeks, so you have plenty of time. The people there are easy to work with too. I'll be ordering another as soon as Uncle BHO gives me some of my tax $ back. If you really want something special, their website says they do custom tooling as well.

Sgt. Moonracer
02-23-09, 20:50
Not to derail your topic here, but to echo what's been said already...

Weddings and other similar-type social events tend to generate lots of hugging-type behavior and a lot of (usually) unintentional body contact. Generally they also tend to generate a guest or two that have too much to drink. While I advocate carrying all the time, I don't want people to know I'm carrying all the time, so I prefer a low-profile setup. My typical mode of carrying in those situations is a S&W snubby in my strong-side front pants pocket, and a Glock 27 in an Eagle upside-down ankle holster.

Now, if you want to make a statement, (or just need an excuse for a new holster), by all means contact Sparks or one of the other makers listed.

Good luck!

Littlelebowski
02-23-09, 20:51

things to consider:

You and your brother sound a lot like my brother and I. Congrats!

signal4l
02-23-09, 21:22
Check Here:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-74-20-double-agent-dual-position-holster.aspx

theJanitor
02-23-09, 21:26
thanks, littlelebowski. Sgt, no intended statements here. i'm gonna have a pistol on my person, so i might as well make it one fitting to the once in a lifetime (i hope) occasion.

my biggest worry is that we're pretty far outside of the nearest town. and we're along a small desolate road. Both two and four legged creatures are my biggest concern out there.

also, my brother is gonna help me with alot of things that weekend. i want to give him something special as a token of my appreciation, and my gratitude for him just being my brother. i'm thinking of something like:

http://www.nossargunleather.com/images/133a.jpg

williejc
02-23-09, 21:56
About holsters, I had bad luck with the link cited by signal41 above, and I made three purchases before I figured out I needed to go elsewhere..

Texas does not allow concealed carry(or any other kind)in churches by CHL holders. Check your state laws.

I respectfully say that I fail to see the need for the groom being strapped during his wedding, especially since other family members may be armed. When I think of young people and weddings, alcohol crosses my mind.

Good luck to you, sir.

geminidglocker
02-23-09, 22:49
Will there be dancing? A retention strap may be in order.

David Thomas
02-24-09, 00:11
how long is the wait for Nossar, Bulman?

Nossar would be my first choice, but his wait time may be longer than normal at present. I would contact him as soon as possible with your plan and what you want to see if he can accomodate you. Bulman makes great leather also, but i have no idea about his wait time.

Also, I do not remember hugging anybody at my wedding other that my immediate family and my wife. I would not worry about that.

I wear a suit every day and carry a 1911 every day in a Nossar Valovak (an inside the waist band holster) and I did not get fitted for IWB carry when my suits were tailored. Just ask the tailor for a roomy fit and you will be ok with a 1911, especially if you go with Nossar's ultra thin horsehide.

In addition, do not forget about a good belt. I would not try to use a dress belt purchased with your suit. Get a good belt meant for carry. I use a 1.5" Mitch Rosen about 95% of the time, but have heard great things about Beltman belts. He also offers horse hide and shark trim. My next belt will be from him.

Here are some pics of some of my Nossar gear. My newest is not included. I need to get some pics of it. It is a dark chocolate brown with sharkskin trim for a commander.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=265467#post265467

theJanitor
02-24-09, 02:21
David, thanks for the suggestions. i will start making some calls very soon.

in addition, we're not going to be in a church.
i'm not young
our guests are only our immediate family and our closest friends. maybe around 30 people
they're not very big drinkers

thanks for the suggestions everyone. if i can do an IWB, that would be best for me

Littlelebowski
02-24-09, 06:12
About holsters, I had bad luck with the link cited by signal41 above, and I made three purchases before I figured out I needed to go elsewhere..

Texas does not allow concealed carry(or any other kind)in churches by CHL holders. Check your state laws.

I respectfully say that I fail to see the need for the groom being strapped during his wedding, especially since other family members may be armed. When I think of young people and weddings, alcohol crosses my mind.

Good luck to you, sir.

I'm quite sure TheJanitor is an adult who can handle carrying a concealed weapon responsibly and knows the dangers of mixing alcohol and concealed carry. Yes, other people are going to be carrying. However, if he wants to carry, more power to him. I have a sneaking suspicion amounting to a terrible certainty things are going to turn out fine.

The internet where everybody's a safety Nazi.

theJanitor
02-24-09, 10:08
^thank you

Tangy
02-25-09, 02:12
why doesn't this surprise me. poor mrs janitor. post up a pic of the holster once you find one!

theJanitor
02-25-09, 02:46
^you're officially uninvited.:D

tex45acp
02-25-09, 13:43
theJanitor,

One of the most handsome holsters I have ever seen is this one by Tucker Gunleather here in Texas. I have the model without the Texas Star Concho.

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/index.html

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rlcompanyusa_2043_21264258