PDA

View Full Version : Ok 1911 Gurus?

Shihan
02-23-09, 18:56
Hey guys any recommended method on installing and staking a hammer strut? I have the parts coming in from Brownies and have never done it.

Thanks

RD62
02-23-09, 20:54
I don't know I'm a guru on anything, but a hammer strut is pretty straight forward. I use a benchblock and heavy hammer, and hit it hard! The one's I've done are pretty in there! I staked as usual. You may have to dress it down a little. I think you can probably get away without staking as in my experience they're a pretty tight fit (as I mentioned) and held captive fairly well once installed in the pistol. YMMV but it worked for me.

-RD62

maximus83
02-24-09, 01:41
The Kuhnhausen .45 manual says to "stake the pin junction on both sides, and stone the raised material to flush."

I have not staked one I installed a couple years ago, and it works fine and doesn't seem to walk out. But I will be installing another one here shortly, and plan to stake it, as this will be a carry gun.

Business_Casual
02-24-09, 08:25
"The Colt .45 Automatic, a shop manual" mentions staking it, gives the same advice as above but then mentions polishing both sides of the hammer to ensure there are no high spots.

M_P

Shihan
02-24-09, 14:21
When installing are you guys just using a punch to hammer the pin in?

I think that staking the pin is essential as I have had one walk once on a staked Mil carry sidearm and one walk on a brand new Springfield that wasnt staked giving them both a nice consistant 12lb trigger.

Shihan
02-24-09, 14:21
"The Colt .45 Automatic, a shop manual" mentions staking it, gives the same advice as above but then mentions polishing both sides of the hammer to ensure there are no high spots.

M_P

Advice on polishing?