PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Glock +2 extensions

beau1911
02-23-09, 22:29
Looking for some insight... Ive been using factory Glock +2 extensions with Wolf extra power springs on my G17 range mags for some time now and ive never had a single malfunction of any kind. I know the extensions are not reccomended for any cal. other than 9mm but you think they are reliable for carry with 9?

I did some searching but could'nt find much info, anyone had stoppages with them? Info? Opinions?

Thanks guys!

DRich
02-24-09, 08:31
I've had the Glock +2 extensions on a G19 for nearly 15 years and have not had a magazine related failure through 65k+ rounds. In my experience, they're 100% reliable.

That being said, I don't use them for carry because of the grip length. The standard mags are simply easier to conceal.

markm
02-24-09, 08:42
Since capacity on a 9mm glock is anything but an issue, I wouldn't do it. Just for the concealment issue.

Detmongo
02-24-09, 08:43
i've been using them for the last 10 years or so with no issues at all. i use the old style and the newer style with no problems.

Gutshot John
02-24-09, 08:56
I wouldn't alter any existing mags to add the extension.

The factory two round extensions on the G18 magazines have functioned flawlessly in my examples.

Because sometimes you just like having 33 rounds of ammo in a pistol. Though I've noticed they don't conceal very well...go figure. :D

dbrowne1
02-24-09, 08:59
I have used the Glock factory +2 extensions on a G26 for a few years now and had no issues. I have not heard any anecdotal evidence from others about problems with them and heard plenty of praise. They seem to work fine if you have a use or need for them.

dbrowne1
02-24-09, 09:00
Because sometimes you just like having 33 rounds of ammo in a pistol. Though I've noticed they don't conceal very well...go figure. :D

That's why you put three of them in a thigh rig. Along with your open-top, three mag per pouch AR-15 magazine carrier that spills out when you bend over. Not that anyone would ever do any of that.

Wayne Dobbs
02-24-09, 09:07
Functional reliability with the Glock factory +2s is not a normal issue, assuming decent magazine springs, etc. What IS an operational problem with them is the tendancy for them to be knocked OFF the holstered weapon on car doors, steering wheels, wall corners, etc. Of course when that occurs, the magazine vomits the ammo, mag spring and follower out for all to see and enjoy. Murphy's Law says that will happen when you really need it and the contents will go down the nearby storm drain! For that reason, they shouldn't be in the gun. If they are used on the range or possibly for a reload, that's another matter to consider.

Gutshot John
02-24-09, 09:42
That's why you put three of them in a thigh rig. Along with your open-top, three mag per pouch AR-15 magazine carrier that spills out when you bend over. Not that anyone would ever do any of that.

Certainly no one we've ever run across. :rolleyes: Though Baby Huey wasn't using 9mm mags...he had those like six of those 30 round glock mags in .45 which is just silly.

I can see a virtue of maybe having ONE 33 round mag on your thigh rig as a last ditch contingency, but when you start talking about more than one it means giving up rifle mags for the same weight cost.

The best application for it imo is to have one stashed in the car...just in case.

All that said the factory two-round mag extensions work when installed by Glock on factory mags. I wouldn't mess with it otherwise.

beau1911
02-24-09, 10:16
Functional reliability with the Glock factory +2s is not a normal issue, assuming decent magazine springs, etc. What IS an operational problem with them is the tendancy for them to be knocked OFF the holstered weapon on car doors, steering wheels, wall corners, etc. Of course when that occurs, the magazine vomits the ammo, mag spring and follower out for all to see and enjoy. Murphy's Law says that will happen when you really need it and the contents will go down the nearby storm drain! For that reason, they shouldn't be in the gun. If they are used on the range or possibly for a reload, that's another matter to consider.

Good points. Maybe a standard mag in the pistol with +2s on tap for reloads.

Gutshot John
02-24-09, 10:19

I've had non-extended Glock mags explode in similar fashion.

You make a good point about Murphy's law, but it can happen at any time. By definition it happens most frequently when you've done everything in your power to compensate for it.

beau1911
02-24-09, 10:24
I've had non-extended Glock mags explode in similar fashion.

You make a good point about Murphy's law, but it can happen at any time. By definition it happens most frequently when you've done everything in your power to compensate for it.

How did they blow John? Dumping one on the deck? conctrete?

ToddG
02-24-09, 10:39
Call me crazy, but if I wanted a 17-round 9mm Glock magazine for a G19, I'd use, oh I dunno, a G17 mag?

Like Wayne, I've seen too many people lose the floorplate on those +2 extenders. It just isn't worth the risk for two extra rounds. YMMV.

beau1911
02-24-09, 10:49
Call me crazy, but if I wanted a 17-round 9mm Glock magazine for a G19, I'd use, oh I dunno, a G17 mag?

Like Wayne, I've seen too many people lose the floorplate on those +2 extenders. It just isn't worth the risk for two extra rounds. YMMV.

Thanks Todd but im using them on G17 mags, as of yet primarily on range mags. Have you seen the new style of extensions shit the bed? They seen alot more secure than the old ones..

ToddG
02-24-09, 10:51
beau -- I cannot say off the top of my head that I've seen the newer ones have problems, but I don't normally stop everything and ask people to carbon date gun parts when I see failures on the range, either. :cool: So the only honest answer I can give you is that I don't know.

The question remains, what are you gaining from a practical standpoint with those two extra rounds and what are you giving up by using the extension? For me, I'd rather stick with the tried and true factory 17rd configuration.

Gutshot John
02-24-09, 10:52
How did they blow John? Dumping one on the deck? conctrete?

Nope no impact at all just erupted. Heard the "sproing" and this tinkling of 9mm rounds raining down my leg. It was very disconcerting since I was in a store at the time. It's always fun to blow your cover in such a spectacular fashion.

It was a used mag I got with a G17 and it may have been dropped earlier and I didn't know, it may similarly have been a bad mag. The baseplate looked a little warped.

The statement wasn't meant to be a critique of Glock magazines at all. Just a statement that Murphy was an optimist and bad things can happen even when you do everything right.

I do agree with Todd however, in a G17, what does 19 rounds of 9mm get you that 17 does not?

beau1911
02-24-09, 11:57
Nope no impact at all just erupted. Heard the "sproing" and this tinkling of 9mm rounds raining down my leg. It was very disconcerting since I was in a store at the time. It's always fun to blow your cover in such a spectacular fashion.

It was a used mag I got with a G17 and it may have been dropped earlier and I didn't know, it may similarly have been a bad mag. The baseplate looked a little warped.

The statement wasn't meant to be a critique of Glock magazines at all. Just a statement that Murphy was an optimist and bad things can happen even when you do everything right.

I do agree with Todd however, in a G17, what does 19 rounds of 9mm get you that 17 does not?

Got it, thanks John. Good points by all.

Paul45
02-25-09, 16:05
I would not use any extention for carry. I had 2 different Glock +2's come off during reloads in USPSA matches. They are OK for practice but my personal opinion is not to bet your life on them.

dbrowne1
02-25-09, 16:32
I can see a virtue of maybe having ONE 33 round mag on your thigh rig as a last ditch contingency, but when you start talking about more than one it means giving up rifle mags for the same weight cost.

I really see no application for those 30+ round pistol mags other than "range toy." Any contingency involving a true application of them (if there is one) as you describe would have me up the Class 5 rapid portion of the crap creek and probably already drowned.

The point about the +2 extensions popping off and "pez dispensing" your ammo out rapidly seems valid. I've never seen it or experienced it, but it certainly seems like a plausible and worrisome event. I'll have to consider whether I want to keep using them on my G26.

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 16:49
I really see no application for those 30+ round pistol mags other than "range toy." Any contingency involving a true application of them (if there is one) as you describe would have me up the Class 5 rapid portion of the crap creek and probably already drowned.

The point about the +2 extensions popping off and "pez dispensing" your ammo out rapidly seems valid. I've never seen it or experienced it, but it certainly seems like a plausible and worrisome event. I'll have to consider whether I want to keep using them on my G26.

I don't dispute the wisdom of your statement, like I said "maybe". Though not having to reload for a while might not be a bad thing.

There has to be an application beyond the range toy concept...why else build the freakin things? Especially when you haven't changed your underlying pistol design in a quarter of a century and every magazine is essentially the same.

The pez dispenser can happen at any time with a bad mag, the extensions only increase the probability it will happen with a good one.

citizensoldier16
02-25-09, 17:04
IMO, if you can't get it done in 17 rounds...is 19 really going to make a difference?

ST911
02-25-09, 17:28
I like the + floorplates on subcompact magazines only, and only for the extra purchase they offer when withdrawing the mag from certain mag pouches carried in some applications.

On failure: The newest design (p/n 7151) released several years ago offers enough engagement to positively retain the floorplate. If you're seeing spontaneous failure or failure from impact, chances are it's the old version or an aftermarket product. Or user failure, when they've left out the insert.

Paul45
02-25-09, 18:05
The 2 +'s that let go on me were within 2 years old. One was on a g17 mag, the other was on a g22. I had an old +2 let go on a G23 but it was a good 8 or 9 years ago. I have +2's on some G26 and G27 mags - No issues with some hard use over the last few years. It may be the additional leverage on the longer mags or the slamming reloads from competetion that caused the 2 most recent failures.
However - I still only carry OEM stock mags and floor plates on my carry guns - if it is going to happen, it will happen at the worst time! I just like to eliminate any possible variables.

Heavy Metal
02-25-09, 22:43
I had a standard G-17 mag barf on me at the DPTactical class this past weekend.

I suppose it could have been that the locking plate had not properly engaged after I had dissassembled and reassembled the magazine for cleaning last fall.

I still shave with Occam's Razor and the likeliest explanation is I fvcked up. I try and be honest and only blame the equipment when it really is the equipments fault.