PDA

View Full Version : Glock KCI mags

white spaniard
02-24-09, 09:30
Has anyone used these Korean mags if so how are they?

Robb Jensen
02-24-09, 14:08
I bought 2 Glock 19 ones. They didn't run well at first, I replace the mag spring in each with a genuine Glock 19 mag spring and now both work just fine. I only use them for range mags.

Joe Mamma
02-28-09, 00:40
Has anyone used these Korean mags if so how are they?

I haven't used any but, I've been wondering about them myself. For those of you who don't know, KCI makes aftermarket mags for the Glock 19 and 17. They are significantly less expensive than factory mags.

white spaniard, I found these posts that may be helpful:

(see the post by cole about halfway down the first page:)
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972047&highlight=KCI

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993345&highlight=KCI

It looks like they are decent, but not as good as the factory Glock mags. As usual, gotm4 is pretty dialed in on these products.

I'm sticking to factory mags for now. But, that's more because I'm too lazy to test and tweak KCI mags.

Joe Mamma

ST911
02-28-09, 17:51
They are showing up in volume with the budget-minded.

They're usually found in the hands of someone uttering something like, "hey, can you take a look at these, I'm having a problem with..."

Jack-O
02-28-09, 23:01
By and large I hear good things from people who have owned and tried them, and negative things from those who have not.

There are reports of some plastic flashing that may inhibit functioning, but some sandpaper and 2 minutes is well worth the $15 savings even if you only use them for range use.

For $10 each, I plan on picking up as many as I can afford and either use them or barter with them.

ST911
03-01-09, 08:56
$10 is a little more than a third of what a known-good OEM mag costs. That's three extra value meals, 2 or 3 automatic car washes, two movie tickets, or a few generics in the grocery cart instead of brand names.

I suppose they're useful for practicing the things induced by marginal mags, but why not buy good stuff?

Jack-O
03-01-09, 13:24
Oh, I definitly got some good stuff.;)

I preface this by saying I havent tried them yet. I did check out user reports on like 4-5 forums tho. It's kinda contrary to conventional wisdom I know, but they seem to get halfway decent reports.

The Koreans actually use the Glock as thier duty weapons and these mags are what they use. That may say something. (not sure what tho :rolleyes: )

Most of my gun use is on a range, most of the ammo I shoot is plinking ammo or reloads. I see no reason why I should put wear on perfectly goo glock mags when I could be using something like this. If they cause failures, then so much the better.

From a strictly practical standpoint, I'm thinking a couple of things:

-these have a "iffy" reputation right now, yet they show signs of promise. it's a great time to buy them and stash cheaply

-if and when there is another gun ban, these will represent one of the best bargains and bartering items you could have. If they end up proving to be as reliable as the glocks once you clean them up, then even better.

- If they suck and never go anywhere, you can still sell them to other folks for what you paid, and lose nothing.

I think these things might be the best bargain in the market right now.:cool: Being able to find the bargains is what makes folks rich.

Iraqgunz
03-01-09, 13:50
Some .MIL personnel had them here and they were experiencing a high number of failures. Someone bought them online somewhere and they didn't know any better. I promptly replaced them with real G19 mags and smashed the KCI crap with a hammer.

Buckaroo
03-01-09, 14:16
Some .MIL personnel had them here and they were experiencing a high number of failures. Someone bought them online somewhere and they didn't know any better. I promptly replaced them with real G19 mags and smashed the KCI crap with a hammer.

I thought you were supposed to use a Suburban for this type of testing. :D

Buckaroo

ST911
03-01-09, 15:53
I preface this by saying I havent tried them yet. I did check out user reports on like 4-5 forums tho. It's kinda contrary to conventional wisdom I know, but they seem to get halfway decent reports.

The same venues that are getting decent reports with a bunch of gear that's "good-as", no doubt?

The Koreans actually use the Glock as thier duty weapons and these mags are what they use. That may say something. (not sure what tho :rolleyes: )

It says little to nothing. The US mil has a bunch of Checkmate mags. We know how those are doing. A quick scan of Janes shows the Koreans use some other suspect gear, too.

-these have a "iffy" reputation right now, yet they show signs of promise. it's a great time to buy them and stash cheaply

-if and when there is another gun ban, these will represent one of the best bargains and bartering items you could have. If they end up proving to be as reliable as the glocks once you clean them up, then even better.

These mags are no better an investment than the other look-a-like bottomfeeder polymer mags manufactured prior to the ban, and since. They sat in bins in gun stores all throughout the AWB at $10/ea.

- If they suck and never go anywhere, you can still sell them to other folks for what you paid, and lose nothing.

Sadly, that's probably true.

Iraqgunz
03-01-09, 16:00
I find that smashing things with a hammer in front of people has a more dramatic impact. Just like when I smashed some Marines Chinesepieceofshit knock off M14 mags that he had been carrying around. They would wouldn't even fit in the mag well of his weapon.

I thought you were supposed to use a Suburban for this type of testing. :D

Buckaroo