PDA

View Full Version : SureFire 6P vs. Pentagonlight X2-HA

J Crew
12-12-06, 13:05
which is a better basic tactical light to mount to an AR? i'm looking for a decent light below $100 bucks. the main thing that's i steering me towards the pentagon is that it looks like it comes standard with a push button activated on/off switch... where the surefire is a turn on/off switch. am i correct, or did i mis-read somehting? thanks for any help and suggestions.

- Jason

xpd54
12-12-06, 21:51
Something to keep in mind: the 6P DOES NOT come with a shock isolated bezel as is, so mounting it on a weapon w/o buying and adding a shock isolated bezel is a gamble. The Pentagon lights come with shock isolated bezels as standard. The shock isolated bezel adds like $20 to the cost of the 6P.

jmart
12-13-06, 20:36
Anyone know anything about the Blackhawk Night Ops'Falcata series? They are spec'ed to put out good light for 6V (95 lumens, 60 min runtime) and 9V (125 lumens, 60 min runtime) configs. They also include shock-isolated bezels and Type III anodizing. Recently written up in SWAT.

6V models typically retail under $100 and the 9V, when it's on sale, can be had for under $100.

madryan
12-14-06, 19:44
Anyone know anything about the Blackhawk Night Ops'Falcata series? They are spec'ed to put out good light for 6V (95 lumens, 60 min runtime) and 9V (125 lumens, 60 min runtime) configs. They also include shock-isolated bezels and Type III anodizing. Recently written up in SWAT.

6V models typically retail under $100 and the 9V, when it's on sale, can be had for under $100.

I've heard from people who have lots of experience with Surefire, Pentagon, and night ops that the Falcata is awesome. That being said, I just ordered a Pentagon L2 (3watt LED) with a DD offset mount for my M4gery. I was going to go for a full blown Surefire weapons light and put a KL5 head on it but decided to save a couple of hundred bucks.

jmart
12-15-06, 13:10
I emailed the company, they said tape switches are planned for later release, no date provided. Also, repalcement bulbs run around $25.

blake6551
12-15-06, 14:58
I have a 9v Falcata. Extremely bright and excellent combination of throw and flood. The tailcap pushbutton has excellent feel. I emailed Ken Good awhile ago about a tape switch and he said they were coming, but I haven't seen any yet.

Blake

Steve
12-15-06, 15:08
i have a pentagon weapons light on the larue mount and have nothing but issues with it since i got 3 bulbs in 2 month, on off is hit or miss constaint on was hit an miss as well......... sits in a box now....... called pentagon they wanted to charge me to send in and have it looked at............. yah right! at least surefire sent me an RA when i had issues with one of there's

never knew krylon could hurt a light......:(

C4IGrant
12-17-06, 13:39
which is a better basic tactical light to mount to an AR? i'm looking for a decent light below $100 bucks. the main thing that's i steering me towards the pentagon is that it looks like it comes standard with a push button activated on/off switch... where the surefire is a turn on/off switch. am i correct, or did i mis-read somehting? thanks for any help and suggestions.

- Jason

The Pentagon is shock isolated so it will be a better choice for weapon mounting.

You can also look at my light system (which is below $100). It is smaller and lighter than the two you have mentioned, is shock isolated and can accept SF tailcaps and filters.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WG%20Lights/WG6D%20by%20SJ.JPG

mark5pt56
12-18-06, 09:05
After owning the surefire lights(900/62/52 series)I have a 6 and 9v version of Grant's. I would get which ever one suites your needs. If you are going to use it outside in extended ranges, get the 9v, the difference is unbelievable.

One advantage with the wg lights is the ability to use it as a hand held.(more so than dedicated weapon lights) That's if you don't use tape switches.

jmart
12-18-06, 11:54
The Pentagon is shock isolated so it will be a better choice for weapon mounting.

You can also look at my light system (which is below $100). It is smaller and lighter than the two you have mentioned, is shock isolated and can accept SF tailcaps and filters.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/WG%20Lights/WG6D%20by%20SJ.JPG

Falcata's are shock isolated as well. Spec-wise, they pump out good light, a bit more than the Pentagon's similar offerings. But they don't have the tape switched ready yet in case that's a requirement.