PDA

View Full Version : MAGPUL ADVANCED TRIGGER GUARD

ROADKING
02-24-09, 19:57
I was thinking of buying a magpul trigger guard, am i wasting my money or is this a good investimate.

SecretAgentMan
02-24-09, 19:59
I think it's a great investment. All the receivers I build now get a Magpul trigger guard.

sdcromer
02-24-09, 19:59
Good investment. I have one on both of my lowers.

Line Rider
02-24-09, 20:07
I have both the Magpul trigger and grip on my Bushmaster. It was money well spent.

M1A2_Tanker
02-24-09, 20:23
I have 4 on lowers and one mil-spec. The mil-spec has sharp edges, not cut you sharp, but they catch sometimes, fingernails, gloves. I wish they didn't carry the nearly $20 price tag but they ARE worth it. Quality will cost you. Plus the added room is great for gloves....the intended purpose.

Cold Zero
02-24-09, 20:55
Worth the investment. Every lower should have one.

trunkmonkey
02-24-09, 22:33
Good for what they are intended for, shooting with gloves.

Otherwise they are unnecessary.

LRRP-87
02-25-09, 00:09
I've got one on the way, and I'm sure it's probably more ergonomic than the RRA winter trigger gaurd I have on one of my rigs.

Veracity
02-25-09, 00:22
I'm a fan of them because I actually cut my middle finger on the factory guard.

I'm very delicate.:rolleyes:

the_fallguy
02-25-09, 00:51
I constantly wore the side of my middle finger's knuckle raw until I got one. I think they are excellent, and useful for more than just shooting with gloved hands.

Alaskapopo
02-25-09, 02:21
Honestly I just like the way they look so I put them on 4 of my AR's.
Pat

steve-oh
02-25-09, 02:59
It's a cosmetic thing. The standard trigger guard folds down without tools if you like shooting with B17 gunner mittens on.

But I'll admit, I've got a couple. And yeah, they are cool looking.

Iraqgunz
02-25-09, 05:06
They are especially good on Bushmasters as the ones that we have are made of plastic and I have had to replace at least 10 of them with aluminum ones.

BigDozer66
02-25-09, 07:55
I have one on every AR I have (or I have one ot put on it;)) and they are worth the money.
They well made and it eliminates the need for a "Gapper" at the rear.
Not every one has little fingers and it gives you the needed room even when you don't have gloves on.:cool:
BigDozer66

Patrick Henry
02-25-09, 08:40
The Defensive Edge sells a similar product for half the price. Does anyone know if it is of the same quality as the Magpul?

$10 bucks isn't much savings until you multiply that times a bunch of rifles.

adh
02-25-09, 09:15
IMO It's a good investment in terms of getting a more comfortable grip..gets rid of the shar edges and fills the gap between the trigger guard and grip (if you remember the old gapper that was sold to do this as a way to prevent that cavity from rubbing your finger raw under the trigger guard at that point). Regarding a lesser costing option like the defensive edge one (which I have no experience with) Magpul should be releasing a plastic version as part of their MOE line and it will obviously cost less than the standard version

markm
02-25-09, 09:17
I guess I'm the only non-Gay replier to this question. :p

I've warmed up to most of magpul's products, but the Trigger guard is silly.

The raw middle finger is caused by off positioned roll pin holes. For whatever reason these holes often get machined TOO HIGH in the receivers. I guess the trigger guard can help with this.

Rider79
02-25-09, 09:21
I bought one just because Grant's picture was on the package. :p

markm
02-25-09, 09:46
I bought one just because Grant's picture was on the package. :p

That's strike 2 against the product! :D

the_fallguy
02-25-09, 09:51
markm, I honestly have never encountered an AR that didn't rub my middle finger raw, unless it had a Magpul follower, the Gapper, or a Tango Down grip. My Glock 19 does the same thing, just less aggressively. Some of us just have large fingers I guess.

markm
02-25-09, 10:09
Each of my ARs has the hole in a different position. The lowers with the hole drilled lowest are quite comfortable. But I do get a blistered middle finger in class if I take a rifle with a poorly located trigger guard.

Stonerriflefan44
02-25-09, 12:07
The Defensive Edge sells a similar product for half the price. Does anyone know if it is of the same quality as the Magpul?

$10 bucks isn't much savings until you multiply that times a bunch of rifles.

Yes I have one on a lower that I'm waiting on my LMT upper.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/jt556/22509002.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/jt556/22509003.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/jt556/22509004.jpg

It is made of polymer. It does extend into the trigger guard tabs( ears) eliminates the need for a gapper. It uses roll pins front and rear. I enjoy it gives alot of room for gloves.

SoDak
02-25-09, 13:57
I wanted a magpul trigger guard, but after this winter of shooting, I don't really think I need it. I have about average sized hands and with the insulated gloves I used(moderately insulated, think insulated leather work gloves), the factory trigger guard wasn't an issue. The way I saw it(in my case) that buy the time I needed a bigger trigger guard to accomodate my gloves, the gloves are going to be somewhat of a detriment to my shooting( the insulated gloves made it hard to tell when the trigger was about to break, though that's probably more of a training issue).

RojasTKD
02-25-09, 15:08
I constantly wore the side of my middle finger's knuckle raw until I got one. I think they are excellent, and useful for more than just shooting with gloved hands.

Ditto....

I think they add to the aesthetics of the rifle as well.

yakrat101
02-25-09, 15:10
I'm a fan of them because I actually cut my middle finger on the factory guard.

I'm very delicate.:rolleyes:

I've done the same thing. That's why I really like them.

Dave L.
02-25-09, 15:21
Each of my ARs has the hole in a different position. The lowers with the hole drilled lowest are quite comfortable. But I do get a blistered middle finger in class if I take a rifle with a poorly located trigger guard.

You should call and bitch to the customer service people: hellenkeller@oly-arms.com :D