PDA

View Full Version : DILLO DUST

ecor
02-25-09, 02:06
The big brown truck just brought my Larue Tactical BUIS for the BCM middy on a LMT lower.

But, what do I do with the DILLO DUST? Short of asking Paula Dean for a custom gunner recipe or the wife who said “you could start with your fries”:eek:. What are your favorite DILLO DUST indoor/outdoor recipes?

The DILLO opener, I have those problems chilling in a bucket.

I wonder what I would be surprised with if I order an Aimpoint and mount.:p

Thanks.

E53001
02-25-09, 02:30
i bought an aimpoint mount and got dillo dust, beverage opener and a hat, and 2 bumper stickers in my package that i received earlier last week, i plan on trying the dillo dust on some prime rib, rib eye, tri tip, maybe some chicken as well

rob_s
02-25-09, 04:36
I tried the Dillo dust on some ribs I cooked up for guests a few weeks ago. I prefer my own rub frankly.

Gentoo
02-25-09, 05:11
I tried the Dillo dust on some ribs I cooked up for guests a few weeks ago. I prefer my own rub frankly.

Thats probably the reason everyone at TOS hates you, not the chart.

rob_s
02-25-09, 05:48
I definitely appear to be alone in my opinion of all the "goodies" in the packages. I appreciate Mark's marketing scheme (and clearly it's worked wonders for him), but honestly I'd rather have the $10 than the knicknacks and doodads in the box. Keep the opener, spices, and hats and stickers and just sell me the mount for $10 less. I like the products, but these idiots that think they're getting a "free" hat and other trinkets really amaze me. And the idea that this is what they're customer loyalty is based on is truly nuts.

Mark makes what is, in my opinion, a great bunch of products but when you see a guy post "I just ordered a Larue XYZ and it came with a 'free' hat! I'm a customer for life!" you have to start to wonder if maybe they shouldn't make an IQ test a prerequisite for buying a gun.

mmike87
02-25-09, 05:56
I definitely appear to be alone in my opinion of all the "goodies" in the packages. I appreciate Mark's marketing scheme (and clearly it's worked wonders for him), but honestly I'd rather have the $10 than the knicknacks and doodads in the box. Keep the opener, spices, and hats and stickers and just sell me the mount for $10 less. I like the products, but these idiots that think they're getting a "free" hat and other trinkets really amaze me. And the idea that this is what they're customer loyalty is based on is truly nuts.

Mark makes what is, in my opinion, a great bunch of products but when you see a guy post "I just ordered a Larue XYZ and it came with a 'free' hat! I'm a customer for life!" you have to start to wonder if maybe they shouldn't make an IQ test a prerequisite for buying a gun.

You do have a point - I liked the hat, opener, dust etc. - the first time or two. After several orders, I find myself with all these hats and openers. I like the dillo dust, and that's a consumable - but eventually I run out of places to store hats, stickers, and openers.

VooDoo6Actual
02-25-09, 07:47
Dillo Dust is a "lost leader" and generous perk.

There eare FAR better rubs out there.

I give mine away...

Palmguy
02-25-09, 07:54
There eare FAR better rubs out there.

What do you prefer?

rob_s
02-25-09, 07:59
What do you prefer?

Make your own! I started with this (http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl91211a.htm) and tweaked things to make it my own. I made a huge batch, and frankly at this point I don't even know what the recipe is!

This is what I started with.

* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup paprika
* 1 tablespoon black pepper
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
* 1 tablespoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon cayenne

FWIW, the same thing goes for sauce. Start with a printed recipe and make it your own.

C4IGrant
02-25-09, 08:06

Agree. It is amazing to see people get excited about "dillo dust" AKA Lowry's seasong salt.

C4

Kaos
02-25-09, 08:07
Make your own! I started with this (http://bbq.about.com/od/rubrecipes/r/bl91211a.htm) and tweaked things to make it my own. I made a huge batch, and frankly at this point I don't even know what the recipe is!

* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup paprika
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cayenne

FWIW, the same thing goes for sauce. Start with a printed recipe and make it your own.

I do something similar for my chicken seasoning...many different ingredients.

Dillo Dust is pretty much lowry's by taste comparison.

edit: and grant posts the same thing while I was typing mine in.

R/Tdrvr
02-25-09, 08:21
You do have a point - I liked the hat, opener, dust etc. - the first time or two. After several orders, I find myself with all these hats and openers. I like the dillo dust, and that's a consumable - but eventually I run out of places to store hats, stickers, and openers.

Same here. My last order came with the hat , Dust, 3 bumper stickers and a bottle opener (giving me a total of 4 that I've gotten now). I've given away 3 of the openers, all the bumper stickers, and kept the hat (always like a new hat). The Dillo Dust I tried on some boneless pork ribs, it wasn't bad, but there are better rubs out there. Like rob_s said, make your own. That being said, I love their mounts though. :)

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 10:14
You can use it as you would any dry rub. Like Rob said you can actually make it yourself. I would do equal parts of everything. White sugar would be better than brown sugar as it caramelizes better over a fire.

My variation:
1 part of everything
-sugar (if you prefer brown sugar, get the light kind)
-dry mustard
-paprika
-granulated garlic or garlic powder
-granulated onion or onion powder
-kosher or sea salt (table salt has iodine which tastes icky)
-white or black pepper
-cumin
-ancho (slightly sweet/smokey flavor) chili powder

But really you can substitute or add things per your tastes. A chef friend of mine adds a little powdered ginger.

If you like to cook this style, I'd highly recommend the "Dinosaur Bar B-Que" cookbook. Upstate New York is the home of some of the best BBQ you can get believe it or not, and the Dinosaur Bar B-Que restaurant is a haven for bikers and other folks who like good food.

rob_s
02-25-09, 10:21
Upstate New York is the home of some of the best BBQ you can get believe it or not, and the Dinosaur Bar B-Que restaurant is a haven for bikers and other folks who like good food.

I do find that VERY hard to believe! :eek:

Do they serve the ribs with sauce on them, or on the side? Yankees always **** that up.

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 10:36

Do they serve the ribs with sauce on them, or on the side? Yankees always **** that up.

Well As is true for anything...You don't know what you don't know. :D

The rubs are cooked with rub as is proper for anything. They'll serve the sauce anyway you want it (I prefer mine on the side too) and they make their own daily. Everything is fresh and natural made from scratch. The owner/chef is an artist.

My dad was a southerner, and he grew up cooking pig and before he died I got all his rub and other recipes, it's a point of pride in my family and I would never steer anyone wrong, especially when it comes bbq...because my dad would haunt me for eternity. ;) My dad got the Dino BBQ book and said he learned a lot from it, that's high praise from my dad. Of course he modified everything he saw, but it definitely inspired him. He thought it was good enough to give me a copy and I've gotten a ton of use out of it.

The only BBQ I have to eat in the south or make myself is Eastern Carolina. If you come up to the VTAC class, I was going to make some of my dad's BBQ, and you can try it yourself...now I just have to figure out how to fit my smoker in the car. :eek:

VooDoo6Actual
02-25-09, 12:10
Everyone's PALETE is different.

I tried MOST commercially available and several Guarded SECRET recipies retc.

I prefer Emmeril's to most of them.

Try it out for those that have not.

It has some different spices that give it a pleasing unique taste.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQ569Y

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/6987/Steak-Rub

VERY good w/ RIB EYE's, Base Ball's Top's, Filet's etc...

AS always YMMV....

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 12:44
Everyone's PALETE is different.

I tried MOST commercially available and several Guarded SECRET recipies retc.

I prefer Emmeril's to most of them.

Try it out for those that have not.

It has some different spices that give it a pleasing unique taste.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQ569Y

http://www.emerils.com/recipe/6987/Steak-Rub

VERY good w/ RIB EYE's, Base Ball's Top's, Filet's etc...

AS always YMMV....

While I'm underwhelmed by Emmeril as a chef, you can probably make his rub yourself. Just use equal parts of everything you see on the label...minus the MSG and other junk. :D

I bet though that his ingredients share at least 50% commonality with the rubs listed here.

VooDoo6Actual
02-25-09, 13:03
Yes, the problem is the ratios / porportions of the ingredients as they don't give TDP data out due to proprietary info etc... etc....

BUT, to a determined soul have at it....

Littlelebowski
02-25-09, 13:13
While I'm underwhelmed by Emmeril as a chef, you can probably make his rub yourself. Just use equal parts of everything you see on the label...minus the MSG and other junk. :D

Reminds me of that Seinfeld where Kramer ordered "extra MSG" with his food :D

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 13:15
Yes, the problem is the ratios / porportions of the ingredients as they don't give TDP data out due to proprietary info etc... etc....

BUT, to a determined soul have at it....

Just start by using equal parts. The only thing I occasionally add more of is paprika and ancho, but usually equal parts assures no one thing overwhelms the other. The sugar is mostly there to caramelize on the meat giving it a nicer sear.

If you want to tweak it, just add more of whatever spice you like and experiment.

All part of the fun and the mark of a true cook. :D

It will also save you a nice bit of change over the long run.

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 13:18
Reminds me of that Seinfeld where Kramer ordered "extra MSG" with his food :D

All I can do is giggle. :D

Sidewinder6
02-25-09, 13:58
:DFirst you say NY has the best BBQ in the world. Then Emeril is underwhelming. This is almost like an Iron Chef throw down.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rmobqt.gif

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 14:09
First, I didn't say it was the "best" BBQ in the world. I simply said it's a significant center of BBQ-dom believe it or not. I've had a lot of good que in a lot of places and I wouldn't necessarily trade one for the other. That said I don't like some southern que outside of Virginia/Carolina, I prefer sour to sweet BBQ and Dino BBQ is a good book to inspire some who know how to cook good Q, and for people who don't know anyting about it. There are plenty of other good recipes in there that don't have anything to do with BBQ. Like the Sweet Potato/Pecan Pie. :D

Second...I'd make Emeril my b!$^h! BAM and Bobby Flay? Please. :D There's a lot to be said for simplicity in cooking.

Giada de Laurentis on the other hand...:o

The best of the celebrity chefs is actually Alton Brown because he doesn't just give you recipes to follow. He teaches you to understand the underlying technique and chemistry. Jacques Pepin is another good one due to his emphasis on technique.

I come from a family of great cooks and it shows. :)

spamsammich
02-25-09, 14:29

* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup paprika
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 teaspoon cayenne

Throw in a tablespoon of cumin and this is pretty much exactly what I use for my pulled pork rub. This is a very versatile base you have Rob. You could probably sprinkle that on a Goodyear and it would turn out pretty tasty.

FrankRochester
02-25-09, 16:16

Hey! Bite my ass! Us Western NY'ers aren't anything like the NYC ****tards! Not everyone like's BO 'round here! :D We're as redneck as you southerners, but we gots some book learnin' up here! You all ain't got no book learnin' :p ha ha! Seriously, we know how to make some mean BBQ!

Medicine Calf
02-25-09, 18:10
My Dad's BBQ is called Kalbi, using short ribs (2.5" long bones) with no fat removed.

Never warmed up to Hickory--Mesquite/Kiawe all the way.

Littlelebowski
02-25-09, 19:05
I'm grateful for little extras like Dillo Dust from a top notch manufacturer that supports our troops like LaRue does. To me, it is something to get excited about because it's sure as hell not meant to make money off of and it shows they care whether you like the stuff or not.

rob_s
02-25-09, 20:08
To me all it shows is that they care about (and are geniuses at) marketing.

Blake
02-25-09, 20:29
I've read a couple blasphemies in this thread. First I laughed when I read upstate New York was a great place for BBQ. Memphis and Kansas City are the best in the business. Second, Bobby Flay is a great chef. I have eaten at Mesa Grill in Las Vegas, and it was phenomenal. I was quite simply the best food I have ever eaten. While it was a fancy place, the portions were more than enough, and it was a little slice of heaven on a plate. What he does on some of the Food Network shows may be so, so. I wouldn't confuse what some of these chef's are putting out on the commercial market for what they are putting out in their actual restaurants.

I'm just giving you a hard time on the BBQ, but getting people to believe that New York has great BBQ, is going to be harder than getting people to believe that Obama will promote a weapons proliferation act.

FrankRochester
02-25-09, 21:20
Not only does Rochester have good BBQ(never said better than Memphis), but we make some bad ass hot dogs too. Zweigles hot dogs here in Rochester, you got Hoffmann's in Syracuse, and Sahlen's in Buffalo. You will never taste better hot dogs. Plus Rochester is home to a couple German deli's that make authentic German and Eastern European sauages and meats.. Trust me, we know things here in WNY. I have family in Phoenix that keep saying I could sell tons of the stuff out there.

FrankRochester
02-25-09, 21:24
Rob,

I hope you know I was joking around... Just don't think that WNY'ers are like NYC. Its a totally different animal down there. We get screwed over here because downstate outnumbers us. We're as blue collar as can be. We hunt, fish and like to shoot our guns. And we know how to run a smoker too!:D

Sidewinder6
02-25-09, 21:30
I've read a couple blasphemies in this thread. First I laughed when I read upstate New York was a great place for BBQ. Memphis and Kansas City are the best in the business. Second, Bobby Flay is a great chef. I have eaten at Mesa Grill in Las Vegas, and it was phenomenal. I was quite simply the best food I have ever eaten. While it was a fancy place, the portions were more than enough, and it was a little slice of heaven on a plate. What he does on some of the Food Network shows may be so, so. I wouldn't confuse what some of these chef's are putting out on the commercial market for what they are putting out in their actual restaurants.

I'm just giving you a hard time on the BBQ, but getting people to believe that New York has great BBQ, is going to be harder than getting people to believe that Obama will promote a weapons proliferation act.

THANK YOU!

I put up Bobby Flay because of his BBQ show on the balcony of some tenament with NYC in the background back in the old day. :D I used admit to preferring watching that to some of the lame ' real world TV' . But still, BBQ originated in the south. Live with it.

Been to most of the great places in Memphis and FWIW Emeril has a place in Orlando on the back side of MGM that on a scale of 1 to 5 is a 6+. I was far from Under whelmed.

I dont doubt we have some pretty good BBQ folks here. Maybe more than good shots :cool:

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 21:39
I won't front.

I'm a MUCH better cook than I am a shooter.

ErikL
02-25-09, 23:55
Not only does Rochester have good BBQ(never said better than Memphis), but we make some bad ass hot dogs too. Zweigles hot dogs here in Rochester, you got Hoffmann's in Syracuse, and Sahlen's in Buffalo. You will never taste better hot dogs. Plus Rochester is home to a couple German deli's that make authentic German and Eastern European sauages and meats.. Trust me, we know things here in WNY. I have family in Phoenix that keep saying I could sell tons of the stuff out there.

Easy now, I think you are getting carried away. I mean home town pride is one thing but, but that's just bunch of crazy talk.

Gutshot John
02-26-09, 10:41
I'm not from Rochester, or even NY state for that matter, but I've had BBQ in a lot of different places in this country and they're damn good.

As for the sausage, well my hometown of Pittsburgh has much better stuff. :p

Hot dogs? I'm talking kielbassi. Sauerkraut and mustard the way God intended for such things to be served, ketchup is for infidels. I'm not too sure that Dillo Dust could improve it.

Submariner
02-26-09, 11:48
ketchup is for infidels.

Dirty Harry on ketchup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

As for LaRue, buy used!

13F3OL7
02-26-09, 13:11
Texas has the best barbeque. End of story.

Littlelebowski
02-26-09, 13:26
I've never found Texs to have the "best of" anything though you can't tell its natives that.