PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Expands Military & Police Pistol Series With .45 Caliber Model

M4arc
12-12-06, 19:09
http://ir.smith-wesson.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=90977&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=941455&highlight=

Smith & Wesson Expands Military & Police Pistol Series With .45 Caliber Model

Company to Introduce M&P45 at January 2007 SHOT Show

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Dec. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (Nasdaq: SWHC), parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 154-year old company in the global business of safety, security, protection and sport, today announced that it will expand its Military and Police (M&P) Pistol Series with the launch of the M&P45, a .45 ACP model, at this year's Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show, January 11-14, 2007 in Orlando, Florida.

The M&P45 is the newest addition to the company's growing M&P Series of advanced design polymer pistols engineered to the exacting standards of global law enforcement and military personnel. Michael F. Golden, Smith & Wesson's President and CEO, said, "During the development process of the M&P Series, it became evident that numerous law enforcement agencies prefer a sidearm chambered in the powerful .45 ACP cartridge, and one that incorporates the same performance and safety features we designed into the entire M&P family of pistols. We are also aware that multiple branches of the U.S. Military including Special Operations Command (SOCOM), the Air Force (USAF) and the Army have recently expressed a desire to shift from their current 9mm weapons to either a .40 or .45 caliber for greater stopping power. The addition of the M&P45 allows us to provide a broader portfolio of high-performance polymer pistols to military organizations, law enforcement agencies, sports shooters and consumers desiring personal protection."

The M&P45 will initially be available in two configurations for consumers and multiple configurations for law enforcement professionals. The polymer-framed sidearm will be offered with a traditional black frame, or in a bi-tone, dark earth brown frame. The bi-tone model will be a striker fired polymer pistol featuring an external ambidextrous thumb safety. As with the entire M&P Series of pistols, both models are made in the United States and are manufactured with enhanced ergonomics, ambidextrous controls and proven safety features that make the new pistols well suited for professional use and for personal protection.

The bi-tone M&P45 will be manufactured with additional features such as an ambidextrous, frame-mounted thumb safety. The new thumb safety acts as a passive safety device allowing the slide to be pulled toward the rear, clearing the firearm without disengaging the safety. Another feature of the bi-tone model is the specially designed take down tool that includes a lanyard attachment. The M&P45 will also be available with a traditional black frame and will be manufactured with the same standard features that are found in the M&P Pistol Series. Shipments of both versions of the M&P45 are expected to begin in February 2007 into both the sporting goods and law enforcement channels.

Both M&P45 models feature a 4.5-inch barrel with an overall length of 8.05 inches. The full size pistols will ship with a 10+1 capacity, with an option for 14+1 capacity. Featuring one of the smallest grip sizes available on any .45 ACP pistol, the M&P45 benefits from the addition of three interchangeable grips, allowing the user to customize grip size to their preference. The M&P45 utilizes a steel dovetail mount front sight and a steel Novak(R) Lo-mount carry rear sight. Tritium sights are also available for low light conditions. A universal Picatinny style equipment rail has been incorporated for tactical lights and lasers. The polymer pistol has an empty weight of 29.6 ounces.

The full size pistols feature a Zytel polymer frame reinforced with a ridged stainless steel chassis and a thru-hardened black melonite finished stainless steel barrel and slide for durability; a passive trigger safety to prevent the pistol from firing if dropped; and a sear release lever that eliminates the need to press the trigger in order to disassemble the firearm. A loaded chamber indicator is located on top of the slide. The firearm also features an ambidextrous slide stop and a reversible magazine release, as well as an enlarged trigger guard designed to accommodate gloves. The Smith & Wesson lifetime service policy is standard with each pistol.

About Smith & Wesson

Smith & Wesson is a global provider of products and services for the safety, security, protection and sport markets. The Company manufactures firearms and handcuffs and is home to America's longest-running firearms training facilities for America's public servants. The Company also markets a variety of products for sport shooters including firearm safety/security devices, shooter protective gear, knives, apparel, and other accessory lines. The Company is based in Springfield, Mass., with manufacturing facilities in Springfield and Houlton, Maine. Contact (800) 331-0852 or log on to www.smith-wesson.com.

Certain statements contained in this document may be deemed to be forward- looking statements under federal securities laws, and Smith & Wesson intends that such forward-looking statements be subject to the safe-harbor created thereby. Forward-looking statements include the engineering, features, performance, capabilities, durability, and safety of the M&P series of pistols, including the M&P45, and feedback received by the Company with respect to its M&P pistols. The Company cautions that these statements are qualified by important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those reflected by the forward-looking statements contained herein. Such factors include the acceptance of the M&P pistols by military and police personnel and other customers; the performance, capabilities, durability, and safety of the M&P pistols in actual use; the Company's ability to manufacture M&P pistols in accordance with their intended features and performance; as well as other risks as identified from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, Current Reports on Form 8-K, and Annual Reports on Form 10-K.

Industry Contact: Gary Giudice
Blue Heron Communications
(800) 654-3766
gary@blueheroncomm.com

Liz Sharp, VP Investor Relations
Smith & Wesson Holding Corp.
(480) 949-9700 x. 115
lsharp@smith-wesson.com

SOURCE Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation

Dport
12-12-06, 19:31
Great, now when can I go buy one?

M4arc
12-12-06, 19:57
Great, now when can I go buy one?

From what I've read they will start shipping after SHOT.

Sam
12-12-06, 19:58
http://www.hunt101.com/img/456887.jpg

LOKNLOD
12-12-06, 22:29
Why do I think that canceling my cable internet would save me a lot more than just 40 bucks a month?

Lumpy196
12-13-06, 02:41
http://www.hunt101.com/img/456887.jpg

I was doing great at ignoring the M&P, but I find myself strangely attracted, especially with the frame mounted safety.

Now if they'd just trim off the turtle head at the back of the frame.

MRobbins
12-13-06, 06:46
Shipments of both versions of the M&P45 are expected to begin in February 2007 into both the sporting goods and law enforcement channels.

We'll see. Hopefully they'll be right on.

SuicideHz
12-13-06, 08:14
What's with the 10+1? Is that for sales to cities and states with bans in effect? Heck, let 'em wait! Get moving on the full cap pistols S&W, NOW!

M4arc
12-13-06, 08:44
What's with the 10+1? Is that for sales to cities and states with bans in effect? Heck, let 'em wait! Get moving on the full cap pistols S&W, NOW!

I interpreted that as standard mags are 10 + 1 and the 14 + 1 mags will be some sort of extension.

SuicideHz
12-13-06, 08:54
Ah, didn't think about extension. I guess that makes sense. The Mk23 is a tank and is what, 12+1?

Heck, factory extended mags would be nice. Non factory extended mags usually look silly but factory not so much so...

GlockWRX
12-13-06, 09:26
That looks great. I can't wait to finally find one.

Even though I am a Glock guy, I really like the version with the thumb safety.

M4arc
12-13-06, 11:14
That looks great. I can't wait to finally find one.

Even though I am a Glock guy, I really like the version with the thumb safety.

I'm interested in seeing what the new Glock model is all about but the fact that S&W is offering both external and non-external safety models is a huge bonus. Since none of my handguns have them I really don't want one but this could be the handgun that wins over a lot of 1911 owners.

DrMark
12-13-06, 11:37
...this could be the handgun that wins over a lot of 1911 owners.

I'm sure that's one of S&W's goals.

The M&P has already been successful in winning over Glock folks, esp. amongst the mods here. :D

M4arc
12-13-06, 11:39

The M&P has already been successful in winning over Glock folks, esp. amongst the mods here. :D

OUCH :(

;)

GlockWRX
12-13-06, 12:24
I'm interested in seeing what the new Glock model is all about but the fact that S&W is offering both external and non-external safety models is a huge bonus. Since none of my handguns have them I really don't want one but this could be the handgun that wins over a lot of 1911 owners.

I'm anxious to see what Glock has to offer too. The HK45, FN .45, SIG 220 SAO are also on the list for me to look at. It's a new golden age for the .45, that's for sure.

The reason I like the idea of a manual safety is for weapon retention reasons. I like the extra layer it provides. I can (and have) lived without it for almost 15 years, but it's nice to have the option.

I think those kinds of choices are where Smith will be able to outflank Glock. While Glock has a broad product range in terms of calibers and sizes, they all come in the same basic variation. The M&P has modular grips, choices in safety systems, and now more calibers and sizes. This kind of customization helps make the 1911 so popular.

While I am a diehard Glock guy (I even have shirts, hats, knives, and shovels), I am glad to see S&W doing well with this new design. Innovation in American firearm manufacturers has been sadly lacking the last few decades. I hope this kicks off a kind of renissance of American design.

M4arc
12-13-06, 12:45
While I am a diehard Glock guy (I even have shirts, hats, knives, and shovels), I am glad to see S&W doing well with this new design. Innovation in American firearm manufacturers has been sadly lacking the last few decades. I hope this kicks off a kind of renissance of American design.

Me too dude, me too!

Alpha Sierra
12-13-06, 15:05
The main reason for the external safety is because it is a requirement of the Joint Combat Pistol program.

It would be cool if American military personnel went armed again with a 100% American, 45 ACP handgun.

mark5pt56
12-13-06, 15:31
Would this be available w/o the safety?

M4arc
12-13-06, 15:45
Would this be available w/o the safety?

Yes it will be.

9x19
12-13-06, 17:15

Yep! As far as I'm concerned, S&W built that pistol just for me and my small hands. :D

mark5pt56
12-13-06, 20:17
The weak foo shield is thin

M4arc
12-13-06, 20:35
The weak foo shield is thin

Huh :confused:

mark5pt56
12-13-06, 21:17
The shield of resistance, but that can be satisfied by shooting yours!

M4arc
12-14-06, 06:20
The shield of resistance, but that can be satisfied by shooting yours!

I don't think so buddy, you won't be able to resist after shooting mine. Ask Dinger if he has one yet :D

LOKNLOD
12-14-06, 07:31
I don't think so buddy, you won't be able to resist after shooting mine. Ask Dinger if he has one yet :D

This is why I refuse to even walk into the shop and handle an M&P.... :p

DrMark
12-14-06, 08:19

Dinger? Hello? Are you listening?

:D