PDA

View Full Version : gun shops in San Antonio?

bograu223
02-25-09, 12:12
T.A.D. (or TDY depending on your service) here at Lackland and I'm looking for a good shop for black rifle parts. Any suggestions? thanks

Blinking Dog
02-25-09, 12:37
I suggest you stick to online ordering from a reputable site, like G&R Tactical. You'll get a better selection and better prices.

If you must visit a gun store here is what I found.
Nagel's - old school, packed full of junk, and no black rifle parts...but you can find a black rifle that is way overpriced
Dury's - nice shop, and you can find a knowleadgable person, some parts and optics, but their hours suck
Sportsmans Warehouse - had a decent selection of guns and accessories but can't recall if they have specific black rifle stuff
Bass Pro Shops - don't bother, their mgt won't carry evil black rifles so F them they're on my banned list
Alamo Tactical - I did some business with Chris when he started his biz but heard his service now sucks

YMMV

bograu223
02-25-09, 19:35
I shop bravo, brownells, g and r and global-t, Just lookin for a place to get hands on (live on an Island right now) and maybe buy something i need. Visited Chris at alamo tactical today, knowledgable gent with a nice shop. thanks for the suggestions, will check out Nagels.

Gentoo
02-25-09, 23:14
Pretty much what he said.

Nagels is a shithole, full of junky consignment crap. Last time I was there about a month ago they had a DPMS on the wall for $1,600 and a M&P15 standard for $1,999. This is the store that I was in where the employee told me that I should get a revolver because the sight of hollow points in the cylinder will scare the bad guys away.

Durys is a nice, clean store, but they have shitty hours. I can't comment on their service yet. They are the only LE Glock dealer in San Antonio, so that is where I got my G19 from. Prices are on the high side, but supposedly come with a lifetime warranty, for whatever that is worth.

Sportsmans Warehouse does stock AR stuff, but even before Obama it was almost always OOS. I like going there because my little one likes the kidde sized cart, so shopping together is fun.

There is Texas Guns on Bandera. Never been there, but have heard they are kinda pushy and the store is cramped.

Bass Pro is a Fudd store.

Never been to Alamo Tactical, and from what I have read here and heard elsewhere, I never will.

Academy used to be a good place for cheap ammo (often better than walmart) but they are always OOS now. They were the last in the area to jack up their prices on AR stuff. But jack them up they did.

There is another store on the SW side called Powderhorn. I have never been there, but it is the only SA gun store I have *not* heard anything negative about.

Also check out Texas Gun Talk (www.texasguntalk.com).

But for the most part if you want anything specific, you have to order it in.

condition 1
02-26-09, 20:00
Yup, that about sum's it up, I have lived here all my life, there has never been a decent gun shop in S.A. Dury's is the best, or sometimes you use to get lucky at the gun shows, use to.... other than that stick to on line buying, don't waste your time in gun shops here, you will be disappointed.....

thorm001
02-26-09, 20:47
Was not impressed with Nagel's
Check out McBride's if you get up to Austin.

bograu223
02-26-09, 22:02
I'm surprised, I was comming to San Anton thinkin there'd be shops w/cool stuff....I guess its back to the EE. thanks all for the help, Sam

ChristopherM4
02-26-09, 23:58
Was not impressed with Nagel's
Check out McBride's if you get up to Austin.

I would stay away from McBride's, they are way way over price and horrible service.

If your in Austin and leo/military I would stop at GT Dist off Brockton.

The only other place i've been is The Gun Store in Cedar Park. Good people, easy to talk too and good service.

Topher

LettersFromEarth
02-27-09, 17:32
I'm TDY at Lackland myself ( and living at the Gateway). Here is what I've discovered:

The Powderhorn: They get in the occasional "Black Rifle" but sell them fairly quickly (and a little over priced IMO)

Texas Gun: They have a few AR's but nothing at a good price (also, only a 30 day lay-a-way on "tactical" items). Oddly enough they did have a good price on the Microtech version of the AUG for $1800.00 IIRC.

T.A.D. (or TDY depending on your service) here at Lackland and I'm looking for a good shop for black rifle parts. Any suggestions? thanks

adh
02-28-09, 16:17
Can't add anything that anyone else hasn't covered. It appears that the black rifles are hard to keep in inventory...academy and sportman's were sold out of all black rifles when I went by after the 1st of the year....never heard of alamo tactical until I read this thread...almost anything you find in the stores is going to be of lesser quality and higher price than you'll get from G&R or BravoCo or others online..

Gentoo
02-28-09, 20:16
Little update on Durys. I took a Bersa .380 that I was having a problem with (slide not locking back) in to have them look at it under their lifetime warranty.

The guy looked it up in their computer, took it to the gunsmith in the back, came back and printed out a receipt and said we'll call you when you can pick it up.

So far so good. I'll update when I get it back.