PDA

View Full Version : Florida CCW Permits Backlogged

Iraqgunz
02-25-09, 12:50
This is an interesting tidbit. I wonder if other "shall issue" states are seeing something similar? Wonder if this will affect those who need to get renewal in a timely fashion.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/910739.html

TALLAHASSEE -- Floridians in record numbers want to carry concealed weapons, a trend linked to a surge in crime, economic anxiety and fears of stricter gun laws.

The state is buried under a backlog of 95,000 applications for concealed-weapons permits and it needs to hire a lot more people to handle the paperwork. A legislative panel Wednesday gave Agriculture Commissioner Charles Bronson the OK to spend $3.9 million more so he can hire 61 temporary workers.

''Once the economy gets bad, crime always goes up,'' said Bronson, a police officer. ``People get desperate whenever things are not going the way they feel like they should be going, and they'll do things they normally wouldn't do.''

The state reported a surge in applications in November after the election of President Barack Obama, who in the past has advocated stricter gun control laws but who also campaigned as a defender of Second Amendment rights. Florida received 75,679 first-time concealed-weapon permit applications in 2007 and 86,269 in 2008, in addition to tens of thousands of renewal forms. About 541,000 Floridians have permits for concealed weapons.

Nationwide, retailers report a surge in sales of firearms in recent months. Some Florida stores have run out of ammunition.

As applications for gun permits stack up, the state has reported a spike in phone calls from impatient applicants, and at least 140 large tubs in a Tallahassee office building are filled with unprocessed applications.

FEES TO PAY SALARIES

By law, the state must process permit applications within 90 days. A permit is valid for seven years and costs $117, which includes a $44 fee for state and federal background checks and a set of fingerprints. The money to hire new employees comes from fees paid by applicants, not from general tax dollars.

Adding to the backlog of applications is that the state gives a priority to renewal forms, to avoid cases of gun owners unknowingly having their permits expire or to catch cases in which permit holders have broken the law.

Asked about the surge in gun permit applications, Gov. Charlie Crist said: ``I'm pro-gun. I think people ought to have the right to protect themselves, and if people want to get new certificates, that's their constitutional right . . . If they use those instruments responsibly and prudently and within the bounds of the law, everything should be fine.''

The state senator in Crist's hometown of St. Petersburg disagreed. ''More guns is never a good thing, especially in an urban area,'' said Sen. Charlie Justice. ``There are very few areas of our city that have not been touched by gun violence.''

Bronson said it's a positive thing that people would seek to legally own a concealed weapon. ``That's the reason why people get concealed weapons, so that if they are threatened with their life they can defend themselves and their family and their property. And this is the right way to do it.''

`BECAUSE OF FEAR'

At Jet's Florida Outdoors store in Westchester, which sells guns, sales clerk Chris McCarthy said people are buying the weapons because of the economy but also because they're afraid of a possible crackdown on gun ownership under the Obama administration.

''The demand is because of the fear. People are concerned with losing their rights,'' McCarthy said.

warpigM-4
02-25-09, 13:44
wow I have had My CCW for 31 years now:eek:(getting Old) times I didn't have a weapon to carry I still kept it current .I feel naked when I don't carry Now, I can't leave the house with out grabbing my pistol.it's just second nature to me now.I can't believe so many would wait til the last minute like that

Palmguy
02-25-09, 14:16
I know several people who are waiting on their licenses to be issued, all nearing the 90 day mark. (Which, looking at a calendar, means they all submitted their packets around election day :rolleyes: )

To put it in perspective, 3 years ago it took a week to process and deliver my license.

Gutshot John
02-25-09, 14:23
I just renewed my permit in PA.

Last time I walked in and out with it. This time I had to submit the paperwork and they called me back 3 weeks later. I couldn't carry during that time which was a little annoying.

There was a big sign over the deputy's desk that said "Yes, we KNOW how things USED to be!"

warpigM-4
02-25-09, 14:40
it is still walk in and walk out here to renew ,I got my wife to get her CCW about 2 years ago and it took 3 weeks to the day after submitting the app.Most everyone here in my county has had CCW it seems ,but their has been a increase sense the election But the good thing is it is still only 7.50 for the permit and no class

Magsz
02-25-09, 14:47
Its been a three month wait in Florida for serveral yeras now. I cant comment back past 2006 since i didnt even know about CCW rights before then. :o

I think that Charles Bronson fella is a pretty cool cat. I like his attitude towards CCW. I wish we had more politicians, elected officials like that.

Also, anyone else feel a little safer here in Florida knowing we are protected by Charles Bronson? ;) :D

sandman99and9
02-25-09, 14:58
I am in orlando and there are plenty of "concealed weapons" just not as many ccw permits to go with them. I love the more guns is bad line !! I guess if we just let the drug dealers and other criminals have what they want there will be no violence ?? Yeah right, I got my springfield xD with me all the time just in case. That way I don't have to draw my concealed police officer from my belt. :D

warpigM-4
02-25-09, 15:03
That way I don't have to draw my concealed police officer from my belt. :D

HAAHHAAHHAA thats funny shit right there:Dthanks for the laugh I needed that

exkc135driver
02-25-09, 20:48
I wonder if other "shall issue" states are seeing something similar?

I think so. A recent article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution* -- an anti-gun rag if ever there was one -- states:

79% more apply for firearms permit (AJC February 1, 2009; headline on page 1)

* Fondly referred to by locals as the Urinal-Constitution

FlyAndFight
02-26-09, 07:37
...Adding to the backlog of applications is that the state gives a priority to renewal forms, to avoid cases of gun owners unknowingly having their permits expire or to catch cases in which permit holders have broken the law.

Good to know. Mine is up for renewal later this year.

Sudden
02-26-09, 08:09
My Delaware carry permit was coming up for renewal. I called and they said a couple of weeks. I sent my renewal in about a month early. After about three weeks I called and they said it would be there on time. They said not to worry about it, carrying a gun on an expired permit while waiting for my renewal to process is not problem. I worried anyway. :)

John_Wayne777
02-26-09, 08:39
When I first got my permit many moons ago it was such a rare thing that the people at the Clerk of the Court's office didn't know what the paperwork was. They had one lady in the office who sort of knew what she was doing.

When I renewed my permit in December there was a line of new applicants and three people who did nothing but process paperwork for permits all day every day.

"It's been really crazy for the last couple of months!"

No kidding. I was processed fast because I was a renewal and *GASP* followed instructions and had all the necessary stuff ready when I walked in.

Buckaroo
02-26-09, 10:44
Y'all need to come to Indiana and get yourself a lifetime LTCH!!!!! :p

It would not surprise me if permit applications are up in all states.

Buckaroo

JG1911
02-26-09, 11:44
I know people who are beyond the 90-day period, they called in and were told "probably 2 more months".

I got mine 13 years ago and 90 days was the norm. I know a few years ago people were getting them in 6-8wks.

vigilant2
02-26-09, 14:31
at these wait times. I understand it taking a little longer due to demand,but
thats incredible.
I got my CCW back in Nov 2006 and received it in the mail exactly 21DAYS after
I sent the form to Tallahasee. I was told by the CCW instructor that if I went to
the courthouse and got fingerprinted _electronically_ it would reduce the wait
time from 3 months down to 2-3 weeks. He was spot on,on that one! :)

Palmguy
02-26-09, 17:10
at these wait times. I understand it taking a little longer due to demand,but
thats incredible.
I got my CCW back in Nov 2006 and received it in the mail exactly 21DAYS after
I sent the form to Tallahasee. I was told by the CCW instructor that if I went to
the courthouse and got fingerprinted _electronically_ it would reduce the wait
time from 3 months down to 2-3 weeks. He was spot on,on that one! :)

Yep...Electronic prints paid off for me too. Even with them now though, a new applicant would be looking at a several month wait.

Ghost Friend
02-26-09, 19:48
I just completed the required Saftey / Training Course here in NC this past weekend, called to make an appointment with the Sheriff's office and the earliest they had was May. So in 2 months I can officially apply, then it will only be another 3 months after that. I might have the permit by Aug.

Gentoo
02-26-09, 20:14
backlogged in TX too. People are reporting well over 2 month waits. I am on week 6 myself.

What is interesting is that the ATF took under three weeks from date of mailing to get me my C&R.

EzGoingKev
02-26-09, 22:59
There are A LOT of people getting gun permits now that would have never gotten one before.

I live in a quiet affluent suburb in MA and violent crime has gone up. Robberies being committed at gunpoint, people getting tied up. You would never think it would happen here.

My town and the town I grew up in are both seeing an increase in crime. Both towns are the last stop for the bus/train out of the city and the criminals being arrested are taking the bus out here to commit easy crimes.

This President and the economy have this country scared. I got people that I never figured would carry a gun asking me for advice on what they should get for a gun.

NinjaMedic
02-27-09, 01:56
TX is definitely experiencing the same issue. Some on the texaschlforum.com are reporting 300+ day backlogs.

Shadow1198
02-27-09, 02:53
Bronson said it's a positive thing that people would seek to legally own a concealed weapon. ``That's the reason why people get concealed weapons, so that if they are threatened with their life they can defend themselves and their family and their property. And this is the right way to do it.''

I think it is ironic and so fitting that a commissioner in charge of overseeing the issuance of CHL's is named Charles Bronson. hahahaha ;)