PDA

View Full Version : Sanity-check for my m4gery

HiggsBoson
02-25-09, 14:15
I'm building a new M4gery and was hoping to get some feedback on my plans. Be gentle, it's my first time. :o

Goals and background for this build:

Reliability balanced with versatility. Since this is my first (and, for now, my only) rifle, I'd like for it to be _basically_ GTG for everything from plinking at the indoor range, to home defense, to zombies/SHTF/come what may. So, short to mid-range accuracy is important. Long-distance is not really a big factor for me, as I think I'd go with a different build entirely for that purpose. I'll probably sight her in at 50yds and then double-check at 100 or so. I'd prefer to keep the weight with all accessories and parts down below the 10 lbs mark. I'd also like this carbine to be happy with most types of ammo whether it is SAAMI or NATO. The weights usually be 55 or 62, though I think I'll also try the 75gr OTM for SnG. Lower-1/3 co-witness is desired once I get optics, but I "aim" to start with only my irons. Consumption will be around or above 1000 rounds per year, mostly at the range, but I don't want to go TU when I enroll in a carbine class. Not asking for much out of my BM... I know... :eek: So, before we go through all this again: yes, I would prefer to own a different brand with fewer issues. I don't own one of those other brands, this is what I am stuck with for now.

I have located an armorer to help me out, and I'm hoping to have some upgrades and fixes done by him. I don't have the time, tools, or expertise to do these myself. Before I waste (more of) his time though, I'd appreciate a sanity check by the folks here at M4C.

Rifle:
Bushmaster O.R.C (Optics Ready Carbine (http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWVMF16M4ORC.asp))

Barrel Length: 16” (M4 profile w/ A2 FH)
Rifling: R.H. Twist – 1 turn in 9”
Weight w/o magazine: 6 lbs.

Parts in hand:
- YHM Spectre Length (9.65") FF forearm
- Magpul CTR-M w/ mil-spec kit and H-buffer
- Troy front/rear BUIS
- TangoDown QD FVG
- Magpul MIAD grip kit
- Magpul enhanced trigger guard
- MI QD sling attachments front and rear
- BFG Vickers 2-point sling
- LaRue Po-boy special w/ LaRue pivot mount
- a few L5, PMAG, USGI magazines
- a few rounds of PMC Bronze 55gr FMJ

Backordered/future purchase parts
- LMT M16 BCG
- YHM Phantom 5C2 FH
- Aimpoint micro w/ LaRue QD full-height mount
- Magpul XTM rail panels or ladders
- spare parts (bolt, firing pin, cam pin, etc)
- Surefire G2Z-L w/LaRue offset mount
- PRI Gas buster w/ big latch

Armorer tasks:

Internals
- install BCM SOPMOD upgrade kit #2
- remove the factory carrier key, degrease it, lap the bottom of it
- Apply red loc-tite or Rocksett to the bottom of the carrier key
- stake carrier key screws

Furniture
- remove sling swivel from FSB/GB
- install YHM spectre-length FF rail
- install Magpul MIAD grip
- install Magpul CTR-M
- install mil-spec receiver extension tube, spring, H-buffer
- stake receiver extension end plate/castle nut
- retain all removed parts for spares

Where have I gone wrong? What have I over-looked? What "must-have" fix/upgrade should I consider? What would you want me to do/read/know before I enroll in a carbine class near you? Thanks for your feedback.

E53001
02-25-09, 15:01
ejector upgrade kit?

HiggsBoson
02-25-09, 15:49
ejector upgrade kit?

Thanks.
I found it out of stock at Brownell's, I think I'll add it to the backorder list. It looks like some of it could be redundant with the SOPMOD enhancement kit #2, but not all of it. Can you help by telling me what problems it will help avoid and/or where I can find the one you're talking about?

rob_s
02-25-09, 15:57
Can we get a reader's digest version? :p

If I understand correctly, you currently have a stock Bushmaster ORC in it's original stock form? Or are all those "in hand" parts installed,or what?

Generally speaking other than ammo, mags and training, I'd buy a sling, light, and RDS for any gun (given that it's currently functional and vetted) before getting into things like stocks, rail systems, bolt carrier groups, etc. Oh, and I'd always change out the A2 grip. and frankly (and I know this is blasphemy around here) I'd skip the light until you can get training on it, and I wouldn't make plans to use an AR for defense without training.

Iraqgunz
02-25-09, 16:17
I'll agree with most of what rob_s has said. Unless you are versed in your carbine or rifle I would stick with a handgun until you have more training. I know what rob_s is saying about the low-light training, but I also know human nature is to disregard advice sometimes so I would rather see you with a light on your weapon and a good sling before all the other stuff.

You may also want to consider your choice of rail systems. Maybe it's just me or the fact that our carbines all have crappy YHM rails on them, but I think I would spend a few dollars more and look at other options. I would seriously fore go buying alot of the doo-dads and focus on some quality ammo.

HiggsBoson
02-25-09, 16:45
Thanks for chiming in, guys.

Can we get a reader's digest version? :p
One day I'll learn to be more concise... thanks for bearing with me until then. =/

If I understand correctly, you currently have a stock Bushmaster ORC in it's original stock form? Or are all those "in hand" parts installed,or what?
You understand correctly. I have not installed any of these parts as yet.

Generally speaking other than ammo, mags and training, I'd buy a sling, light, and RDS for any gun (given that it's currently functional and vetted) before getting into things like stocks, rail systems, bolt carrier groups, etc. Oh, and I'd always change out the A2 grip. and frankly (and I know this is blasphemy around here) I'd skip the light until you can get training on it, and I wouldn't make plans to use an AR for defense without training.

I'll agree with most of what rob_s has said. Unless you are versed in your carbine or rifle I would stick with a handgun until you have more training. I know what rob_s is saying about the low-light training, but I also know human nature is to disregard advice sometimes so I would rather see you with a light on your weapon and a good sling before all the other stuff.

I agree whole-heartedly with both of you. I didn't mean to give the impression that I am skipping stuff because I intend to use it for home defense, or because I am cheaping-out on parts or training. I see the AR as a more medium-range weapon for me. For home defense, I'll stick with my tried and true SIG until/unless I am in a situation where I feel more comfortable with the AR. I am skipping items only due to lack of availability. In the case of the RDS, I am waiting to buy it until after I have seen some in person and learned to shoot this thing a bit with just the iron sights. I have a fairly wicked astigmatism and want to be well used to this thing before I venture into that realm.

You may also want to consider your choice of rail systems. Maybe it's just me or the fact that our carbines all have crappy YHM rails on them, but I think I would spend a few dollars more and look at other options. I would seriously fore go buying alot of the doo-dads and focus on some quality ammo.

Could you please elaborate on what you see as the shortcomings of the YHM rails? This one seems fairly well built. I am still fairly ignorant as to what makes a rail worth twice as much, when it seems like it's made of the same stuff.

I am sure as heck not planning on cheaping out on the ammo, but I haven't wanted to get into too many flavors until I am more certain my rifle is moderately squared-away and range ready. I bought some PMC Bronze I have experience with in the Ruger Mini-14. That is a different beast, but similar enough that I felt pretty comfortable with this for my cheap stuff. That... and I've had nato pressure ammo on backorder for weeks, and still only found a few boxes locally.

IrishDevil
02-25-09, 19:41
If you're only going to shoot around 1K rounds a year, there isn't much need to go "all out".

While I feel there are better choices in rails, the YHM should serve you well on a light use rifle. As far as the LaRue Po-Boy setup, it is overkill 100 yards and under.

I would do the bare minimum to setup a basic stripped down "go-to" carbine. Things get a little complicated with using the ORC as a base, since it has no front sight.

My idea of a basic carbine is: grip(I don't like the A2), sling, light, optic

Also, I've found the PMC Bronze underpowered in carbines.

HiggsBoson
02-25-09, 20:36
Also, I've found the PMC Bronze underpowered in carbines.

I was planning to put an H buffer in it, so it will more reliably handle NATO rounds. The PMC is lower priority. I was hoping that I could find a compromise setup that would handle both weaker SAAMI rounds, and still eat up the NATO as well. I guess there's no one-size-fits-most solution, and it will take some trial and error.