PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9 Mags - MDS vs. Factory?

Race
02-25-09, 23:13
What is the difference between the Beretta MDS mags and the standard Beretta mags?Is the quality of the mag, spring, follower, floorplate, finish, etc., the same?

By the way, does Beretta manufacture any M9 mags with steel floorplates?

Thanks for any info.

ToddG
02-25-09, 23:26
MDS is wholly owned by Beretta. All Beretta factory magazines are made by MDS.

Whether there is a difference in quality or components between the Beretta-marked mags and the MDS-marked mags, I couldn't say for certain. But I know there was such a difference between the Mec-Gar branded SIG mags and the magazines Mec-Gar made directly for SIG-Sauer.

cathellsk
02-26-09, 00:35
Like Todd said, MDS is owned by Beretta. They make Beretta's mags and their own. Only differences I've seen are markings and the Beretta marked ones use the newer polymer baseplates while the MDS marked ones use the original style metal baseplates.

Race
02-26-09, 09:19
Thanks for the info. The metal plates were the main reason I was interested in the MDS.

I suppose I'll just buy the standard Beretta mags and replace the plastic plates with metal. (My assumption being that the plastic base plates sometimes break? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Thanks again.

cathellsk
02-26-09, 11:51
(My assumption being that the plastic base plates sometimes break? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Thats what I've heard too. Just buy the MDS mags, they are usually quite abit cheaper than the Beretta marked ones. I'd say the name warrants that increase.

96GTS
02-26-09, 11:52
we had one baseplate break in our academy. but there were 150 recruits, each with 3 mags, so 1/450 doesn't seem too bad....