PDA

View Full Version : Obama to seek new Assault Weapons Ban - Feb 25th story (ABC)

scottp999
02-26-09, 07:21
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

Page1:

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

Wednesday Attorney General Eric Holder said that the Obama administration will seek to reinstitute the assault weapons ban which expired in 2004 during the Bush administration.
(AP Photos/ABC News Graphic )"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

dbrowne1
02-26-09, 07:24
So we're going to infringe on the Second Amendment to help Mexico?

This is beyond asinine...

R/Tdrvr
02-26-09, 07:42
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Infringe on our rights to have nothing but a minimal impact in a third world shithole. That's a good stradegy. :mad:

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

Yeah, I'm sure hat's the cause of the problem. :rolleyes: Couldn't possibly be that most of the Mexican gov't and law enforcement is paid off by the dopers. They need to just start shooting drug dealers on sight, to hell with trying to arrest them.

OldNavyGuy
02-26-09, 07:57
the blacks at "The Obama Forum" seem to "FEEEEEEL" this is a good thing, and it is directed at White gun owners and not them ! what a bunch of fools they appear to be ! :D

FVC3
02-26-09, 08:22
Infringe on our rights to have nothing but a minimal impact in a third world shithole. That's a good stradegy. :mad:

Yeah, I'm sure hat's the cause of the problem. :rolleyes: Couldn't possibly be that most of the Mexican gov't and law enforcement is paid off by the dopers. They need to just start shooting drug dealers on sight, to hell with trying to arrest them.

This isn't the place for this discussion folks. There's a dedicated thread in the General Discussion forum.

markm
02-26-09, 08:29
This isn't the place for this discussion folks. There's a dedicated thread in the General Discussion forum.

Isn't Ali Bama's tyranny enough?

FVC3
02-26-09, 09:09
Isn't Ali Bama's tyranny enough?

Nope - it's nothing compared to the terrible, swift sword of The Katar! :D

He does not suffer this kinda thing gladly.

markm
02-26-09, 09:18
Good point.

... now he'll nail us for getting off topic and starting an extra Bama thread!!

austinN4
02-26-09, 09:25
"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said.
Somebody needs to tell them that automatic weapons and grenades are not freely available for sale in the US.

rubberneck
02-26-09, 09:40
Frankly who gives a shit what the Mexican's think. They have not respected our national sovereignty for decades and members of their own military routinely engage in armed cross border operations. I say we start to worry about Mexico when they begin to show us the same courtesy.

For the record I am going to throw the bullshit flag on the claim that it is our guns being used by the cartels. As pointed out automatic weapons aren't freely available here in the states but are easily and cheaply found in numerous LATAM countries. Why would the cartels go to lengths trying to get tightly controlled and expensive American made arms when they can get cheap AK's from a country like Colombia?

It never ceases to amaze me the depths to which governmental officials will blatantly lie to push an agenda. Any one with any interest in the truth can see Holder's lie for what it is and yet the media repeats it without any skepticism.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-26-09, 09:44
In one pic on that report, I saw a belt-fed M60 :rolleyes:

Jay Cunningham
02-26-09, 09:45
Read this Before You Post About Obama and/or a Federal AWB or Gun Control. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=25110)