PDA

View Full Version : crap base plates on 1911 mags: warning

WillBrink
02-26-09, 09:59
I have seen this issue mentioned before I recall, but to add from personal experience, the base plates on ACT-Mag are crap. As I mentioned in some other posts, during a recent course I took, I had several – three actually - of these mags base plate totally shatter on dropping on hard surface. I was just inspecting my mags, and now see one has cracked, and that one I don’t believe has been dropped on any hard surfaces. The problem is, MANY major manufacturers are using this brand to simply stamp their name too. Novak, Wolff, and many many others. Simply look at the side of the mag in small print for ACT-Mag made in Italy. As mags, they actually run fine in my guns (all 1911s) generally, but the base plates are crap. Fuzzy pic below shows cracking in mag I just noticed. They sell replacement base plates for these mags, but should you have to spend more $$$ on what is really a defective product? Regardless, change baseplates, replace mags with another brand, or ask for replacements, ‘cause you know these things will shatter on you at the worst possible time….

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/DSC04663.jpg

Littlelebowski
02-26-09, 11:49
Have you contacted the manufacturer?

WillBrink
02-26-09, 11:54
Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Which one, the one stamping their name on it or the actual manufacturer in Italy? The best the former can do is just send you some more crappy base plates I would think, but it could be worth a try. The issue of the base plates is well known, so I know I would not be the first to mention this to them. Been a known problem for a while.

markm
02-26-09, 12:19
So... ACT mags crack at the feedlips AND the base plate! :rolleyes:

I have one of these mags. I really like the feed function of it, but I know it's not going to hold up.

WillBrink
02-26-09, 12:24
So... ACT mags crack at the feedlips AND the base plate! :rolleyes:

I have one of these mags. I really like the feed function of it, but I know it's not going to hold up.

They feed fine for me too. No complaints there. Best to use as range mags perhaps. I wont even use them for IDPA now because I dont need them shattering on me in the middle of match as they did in the middle of the course I was taking. :mad:

SCULLY
02-26-09, 12:44
WillBrink

Short of dumping ACT mags and going another route, if you really want to use your ACT mags, i see Novak now offers an Aluminum or Steel basepad. You might look into them.............. http://www.novaksights.com/novak%20magazines.html#BASE_PADS

WillBrink
02-26-09, 12:51
WillBrink

Short of dumping ACT mags and going another route, if you really want to use your ACT mags, i see Novak now offers an Aluminum or Steel basepad. You might look into them.............. http://www.novaksights.com/novak%20magazines.html#BASE_PADS

I have seen those, thanx. Don't you think they should be offered free to replace a defective product however? It's not Novaks fault per se, but ACTs, who should make it right and not force Novak to sell replacement pads. At least that's how I am seeing it through my jaded eyes. :cool:

Robb Jensen
02-26-09, 13:12
Click here (http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines_ETM.asp) for the solution to the ACT mag problems.

SCULLY
02-26-09, 13:24
I have seen those, thanx. Don't you think they should be offered free to replace a defective product however? It's not Novaks fault per se, but ACTs, who should make it right and not force Novak to sell replacement pads. At least that's how I am seeing it through my jaded eyes. :cool:

Yes, but sometimes to get that highest quality, you have to pay for it. I bought the Tripp Cobra mags for my 1911 (very high quality), i also bought the upgraded Aluminum base plates before i ever saw the mags.

WillBrink
02-26-09, 13:35
Yes, but sometimes to get that highest quality, you have to pay for it. I bought the Tripp Cobra mags for my 1911 (very high quality), i also bought the upgraded Aluminum base plates before i ever saw the mags.

Conversely, I purchased 3 Tripp Cobra mags, they would not run well in any of my 1911s, and I sold them. The less expensive mags I had all ran better then the Cobra mags in my 3 1911s. I don't think this is an issue of cheaping out, but actually getting what you paid for. Regardless, just a warning for those with these mags which many companies have put their names on, which one now has to buy upgraded base plates to use. That's not good business in my book, but that's life some times. :D

AirmanAtwood
02-26-09, 13:48
Click here (http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines_ETM.asp) for the solution to the ACT mag problems.

I knew that was coming :D

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-26-09, 22:33
It looks like the newer ACT mags may have a different cut at the rear of the feed lips. The mags actually run well in all my guns. UNFORTUNATELY they are extremely fragile. I busted the feed lips on my old mags. The new ones don't seem to have that problem but the baseplates are made out of craptanium.

sff70
02-27-09, 01:06
Too many problems with these mags, including the 2 that came with a 1911 that I bought.

I use McCormicks instead with no problems.

steve-oh
02-27-09, 01:58
Bummer. Another mag I'll have to not trust.