PDA

View Full Version : NOVESKE Decision

ICE1811
02-26-09, 22:14
Which one should I go with? General purpose AR for personal use. Future optics would be a Aimpoint ML3 or EOTECH 552, possibly a magnifier with flip to side...

1. NOVESKE N4 Light Low Profile : $1,295.00

-14.5" Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, 1 in 7" twist, 5.56mm
-Made of Mil Spec M249 Machine Gun barrel steel, with heavy M249 Chrome Lining, (appx. 2 times as thick as an M4 or M16)
-Extended Feed Ramps
-Mil Spec Phosphate finish
-Same weight as M4 barrel, 1 lb, 9 oz, but improved contour for maximum
rigidity, no M203 notch
-MP HP tested barrel
-Carbine length gas system
-Forged charging handle
-Shot peened and MP tested bolt
-Auto carrier group with properly staked carrier key
-Low-Profile Configuration
-Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver featuring an anti-rotation interface with the handguard
-9" railed handguard
-Low-profile gas block pinned to barrel
-Flip-up front and rear sights

OR

2. NOVESKE N4 Afghan 14.5 Stainless: $1,245.00

-Noveske 14.5" Afghan stainless 5.56mm barrel, 1 in 7" twist
-Extended feed ramps
-Vltor MUR upper receiver
-11" railed handguard with anti-rotation interface with the MUR upper receiver
-Pinned 17-4 gas block
-Gas tube
-Auto bolt carrier
-Shot peened and MP tested bolt
-GI forged charging handle
-Medium contour

Thanks in advance...

dsg2003gt
02-26-09, 22:37
i like the n4 unless you have some specific need for 2 inches more rail(weight) and a stainless barrel.

JSGlock34
02-26-09, 23:21
First off, you can't go wrong with either choice. Noveske products are top notch.

Second, the prices you quote make it appear that these uppers cost nearly the same. One thing to note - the stainless uppers don't come with the Troy BUIS, which is about $250. So factor that into your decision making.

The stainless barrel and VLTOR MUR combination of the Afghan should be more accurate, and the cold hammer forged barrel of the N4 Light is more durable. My Noveske 16" stainless Recon Barrel is an absolute tack driver.

From a personal standpoint, I prefer the stainless barrels for mid to long range builds where I am trying to maximize accuracy and am using a magnified optic. If you plan on closer range shooting with a red dot, I'm not sure you'd notice the advantages of the Afghan stainless barrel, and might be happier with the lighter weight and lower cost of the N4 Light. I think the N4 Light is one of the best general purpose builds out there.

The hardest part of your decision making will be finding one of these - Noveske uppers are difficult to come by right now. Good luck.

THellURider
02-27-09, 03:50
I had an Afghan. Incredibly accurate, great barrel but very heavy.

As the poster above said, if you're putting a red dot on it, get the N4. It will be more accurate than you will need.