PDA

View Full Version : Sell or Unsell me on a Century Arms Galil

Myrmidon08
02-27-09, 16:21
My M4 has all the gadgets and dodads a guy could ever want, and I am looking to get something different. I am really not interested in upgrading anything. I am looking for a cool gun, and that is all.

I always thought the Galil with a folding stock was a cool looking rifle, my friendly neighborhood gun store has a Century Arms Galil with a sporter barrel in stock for $1100.

I forgot to mention it is in 5.56

Any thoughts or comments?

Dave L.
02-27-09, 16:29
I believe that's way over priced for a weapon that is supposed to be in the $700 range.

Search around on the internet for pricing. I know Atlantic firearms sells them.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta/storeproduct412.aspx

k_cheerangie
02-27-09, 17:25
No Way No Way.

If oyu are buying it as a novelty maybe, but for the price tag of that gun and the varying quaitly of the builds I have seen at the gun store I used to work at I would decline.

Myrmidon08
02-27-09, 20:11
I checked out that link, and it turns out that dealer is pretty close by to me. They are selling them for about $700.

Aside from the price what kind of stuff should I be looking for? Any kinds better then others?

Vic303
02-27-09, 22:04
J&G Sales in AZ has the Century Galils listed in today's SGN for $599.

Littlelebowski
02-27-09, 22:15
Way too expensive as you can already see.

rodinal220
02-28-09, 12:39
I bought a CAI Golani knowing full well it would have issues.CAI stuff is mediocre at best.I priced out a Galil kit and an ORF Galil receiver and it was cheaper to go with the 599.99 J&G .

I generally like to build from the ground up but was feeling lazy and felt I could correct CAIs build mistakes and the known ORF receiver issues.

The rifle arrived and had piss poor finish overall.The stock had some kind of cheap paint that flaked off.The synthetic hand guard had seen better days and was bead blasted to make it quasi presentable.The top cover was a PITA to remove and impossible to put back on without a rubber mallet.

Firing a variety of .223/5.56 ammo it experienced failures to extract,eject,double feeds.The provided 35 round mag was dented and had deformed feed lips.I secured some "better" but tired 35 round steel mags and some new Orlites.Same thing and then I had a case rupture leaving the brass case in the chamber.This CAI gun is the "F" marked high 3xxx serial range.

I removed the stuck case using the Brownells Cerrosafe method,slicker than cat snot.

Found and corrected problems:

#1 Gas piston secured poorly by undersized roll pin.Correct pin utilized.

#2 Numerous burrs inside receiver that were removed by hand.File and stone.

#3 Bolt carrier did not lock up correctly.Contacted right side of receiver but .070 of space on left side.Bolt carrier fitted.Extensive fitting of receiver near the breach area and left and right sides of lower.

#4 lapped bolt to fit receiver.

#5 fitted top cover so it can be removed and installed by hand.

#6 head space and chamber cast show these cut for .223 not 5.56.Awaiting 5.56 reamer.

#7 will refinish with Dura-coat .

Test firing at this point shows to use .223 ammo and that the steel mags need new springs and some are dinged and dented.Orlites worked fine.Fired cases are like those from other AK based systems,dented and violent extraction.

Moral of the story.Want a Galil?Pull your pants down and say ahhh and buy IMI.Always build kits from the ground up instead of dealing with others messes.The ORF receiver has issues but can be made "serviceable",alot of fitting will be required.The metal seem hard but the ejectors seems a bit soft,time will tell.

glazer1972
03-02-09, 11:06
Century can sure screw some stuff up.

Myrmidon08
03-03-09, 18:32
Is it fair to say that it is kind of like buying an Alfa Romero. It looks cool, fun to play with, but make sure your mechanic is on the speed dial.

thedog
03-07-09, 00:46
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! Waaaaayyyy overpriced. Even for today. Spend your money better. Lowers, mags, ammo. Find a Garand. A few SKS's. You'll be OK.

dog

Myrmidon08
03-07-09, 21:23
Thanks for the advice. I went to the store yesterday to just to check it out, and as I was playing with it I realized I did not really like the ergonomics of the rifle.

Then I picked up the MSAR and fell in love. My wife is gonna kill me if she ever looks in the gun safe. :)

thedog
03-09-09, 00:01
Thanks for the advice. I went to the store yesterday to just to check it out, and as I was playing with it I realized I did not really like the ergonomics of the rifle.

Then I picked up the MSAR and fell in love. My wife is gonna kill me if she ever looks in the gun safe. :)

How much did you spend for the MSAR? Did you get mags and ammo, or other accessories? And why does the wife have a say in the matter? Show it off!

dog

crusader377
03-10-09, 22:58
For $1100 I would definitely stay away from the century arms Galil. For that money even in todays inflated prices, you should be able to able to find a good quality M4 such as a S&W MP15 or a Charles Daly M4. For equal or less money you should be able to find numerous rifles that are better quality including M1 Garands, M1 carbines, FN49, VZ-58, good quality AK clones, along with numerous other rifles. On the other hand, I would definitely buy an Israeli built Galil.

Caeser25
03-14-09, 07:03
you can definitely spend your $1100 better, if you really want a galil buy one from j&g sales for $599 and get it tuned up. or you could buy a nice arsenal ak, or hell a hungarian amd and like 3,000 rounds.