PDA

View Full Version : Your Philosphy on Pholding Phront Sights?

FVC3
02-28-09, 06:32
I'm interested in your thought on the front BUIS Vs. standard FSB. I don't need instruction, I've carried a rifle for Uncle and have been a trainer for many years. I've got several ARs with both setups.I'm looking for preferences and the reasons for them from other experienced shooters.

I came up on iron sights, RDSs were not commonly in use during my military career. I like irons, but more and more, I'm liking a folding front sight for the uncluttered view. It all began when I first tried a lower 3rd cowitness on an Aimpoint about 7 years ago. Then I bought a low profile carbine and added my first folding sight. I learned to really like that set up, but never made it my go-to gun because it had not proven itself to me over the thousands of rounds and multiple carbine classes my fixed-FSB rifle had.

With the almost bomb-proof reliability and long battery life of modern RDS (I've never had the first issue with Eotechs or Aimpoints), the need for always-ready, always-visible irons is starting to be lost on me.

I just bought a Daniel Defense M4, and I really like gun in my short time with it, but a little part of me wishes it did not have fixed sights, even though the rear is one of the best I've ever seen. I know I'll end up bottom 3rd cowitnessing it, and maybe feeling the sight picture is a little busy.

So how about you? Fixed or folding? Is it possible there are even some (knowledgeable, experienced) "I-don'-need-no-steenkeeng-irons", hardcore RDS-only folks?

tex45acp
02-28-09, 07:11
I used to be a "if it works, dont mess with it" kinda guy. The quality and selection of the current crop of folding sights could definately prompt a change in me. I like the fact that, when not in use the folding sights could be folded out of the way, preventing them from snagging or hanging on something or being knocked off.

Failure2Stop
02-28-09, 07:34
Having a fixed FSB in the lower 1/3 of my aimpoint doesn't bother me in the slightest, so I see no reason to hurry to get rid of it. Having a front sight makes no difference in my ability to use an aimpoint, low-powered varible, or fixed 3-4X optic. However, removing that fixed front sight makes a big difference when the optic fails- and I have seen everything fail. I really like the Aimpoint and most optics now are very tough, but they all break eventually, and having that front sight in place is a really nice thing when people are trying to kill you.

Jay Cunningham
02-28-09, 07:45
For me, folding front for magnified or variable powered optics.

seb5
02-28-09, 07:54
I have both. My thinking is that a RDS goes with a fixed front and low profile rear. My carbines with scopes get folders front and rear. I have had a red dot fail but it was not in a real life situation. I know that I can look through the red dot even after failure to line up the front sight out to 25 easily and really 50 works pretty well for bad guy silouette targets. With distance I should have time to deploy me flip up rear sight.

As an aside, at room clearing distances it's quite easy to look through the tube and make good hits as well, if all else fails. I have overlooked turning on my RDS on a few occasions for training and decided that all is not lost either way.

OldNavyGuy
02-28-09, 08:29
i bought an AR-15 with Troy front and rear BUIS and guess where they have been for the past 2 years......., in my gun safes "gadget box" :D

strambo
02-28-09, 11:46
If one finds themselves in a serious situation (or keeps the gun ready for HD etc.) there's no reason the folding front can't just be up already...no disadvantage if the optic fails.

John Hearne
03-01-09, 15:12
I like a fixed front sight but it doesn't have to be the factory FSB. Having nothing but rail out front and then attaching a fixed front sight gives you a lot of flexibility.

bkb0000
03-01-09, 16:15
i've always been a fixed FSB guy. all my guns have fixed FSBs- even had noveske install one on an SPR. i have too little faith in machined 6061 aluminum to trust my front sight to the handguard. I would be open to a folding gas block sight, but it still seems like too many extra moving parts. a whack to a properly taper-pinned FSB won't phase it- i can't help but fear a good whack to a folder could easily **** the zero or even break it.

your handguards WILL fail in ways a steel barrel cant, if given the right conditions. a solid blow will crack, crush, warp and/or bend your guard. i've seen it happen- just once, and now i don't trust it. i didn't trust it even BEFORE i saw a high-end handguard take a shit. that only confirmed it for me.

ETA... and i didn't even mention the flex- i'm sure everyone has noticed that your FF railed guards DO flex when you apply pressure, right?

jhs1969
03-01-09, 18:27
Personally I like having a fixed FSB. I may be a little different but I also like having my Aimpoint in a true co-witness, I will sometimes pratice using the Aimpoint (with power off) as a large ghost ring and the front sight for a course sight picture.

telecustom
03-01-09, 18:52
I have both also. I like the fixed FSB for my EOTech and the folding FSB for my ACOG. Thought the ACOG works great with the FSB up. I like having the ability to use the EOTech and a ghost ring if needed.

TangoChaser
03-02-09, 09:47
I like a fixed FSB with my Aimpoint. I also use a cut down carry handle for a rear sight. Only had an issue once down range where the battery died and transition to irons was immediate. No repositioning of the weapon to reach out and flip up a front sight.

Plus, I'm a cheap ass sometimes and most standard AR barrels come with the fixed FSB. Nothing else to buy.

I am however looking to use a railed handguard, mounted FS for future .45 ACP, AR conversions. Don't need a FSB for a gas tube as the set up is blow back, so no need to incur extra machining expense to have the FSB mounted. I may go this route for the 7.62x39 AR I'm building for hunting as well.

glazer1972
03-02-09, 10:46
I like fixed FSBs.

TehLlama
03-02-09, 16:14
The only time I dislike fixed FSB's is when I'm using a low powered zoom optic (usually variable), then it can be somewhat distracting.

Otherwise, I'll leave it.

ROCKET20_GINSU
03-02-09, 21:11
I am a big fan of Fixed FSBs, They are solid and consequently more rugged in my opinion. I also like folding rear sights, and for me I find this to be the best combination for my purposes. I'm considering moving to a fixed rear (LR) when I return home for simplicity's sake, but honestly I don't "need" it. Lower 1/3 works for me and I don't have any trouble with clutter and such, however, I could definately see how one could find the sight picture too busy and detracting and in that case I would move to folding everything.

For a firearm that could possibly be used in SD I think SOME kind of secondary sighting system is important. Having it available all the time...not really necessary. Since your primary sighting system is a RDS I would focus my efforts on making that sight the most effective for YOU. If irons clutter your sight picture and distract you from alligning the dot and the target ditch the fixed stuff for folding sights. Just like if the rear dots of pistol sights are taking your focus away from the front sight, ditch em. You are right, RDS these days are extremely reliable and I think the biggest concern is maximizing your potency using your primary sight, as opposed to doing the cool / trendy thing for the popularity's sake alone (not to say that Fixed / folding combinations are bad...just make sure it really fits your requirements).

I don't worry about putting folding sights into position should that ever become necessary. I'm confident that I can make minute of man hits consistently out to 25m using body indexing and multiple bullets, its not perfect, but certainly enough to buy time to flip up your sights. Some will argue: well...what if some BG has taken a loved one hostage and you need to make a crazy difficult and fast shot with your BUIS b/c your RDS took a dump...Somehow I think that in most circumstances your RDS would likely still be running and it would be more important to have the sight picture you are comfortable to make that difficult shot using a superior sight, than to have a BUIS that you are uncomfortable with and that distracts you, which ends up hurting more than helping.

If lower 1/3 and absolute Co-witness doesn't work for you, don't sweat it! Atleast you know what works for you! so now buy accordingly!

Stay Safe,
GU

dirksterg30
03-03-09, 07:41
For me, folding front for magnified or variable powered optics.

Same here. For a 1x red dot sight, I prefer the simplicity of a fixed front sight.

Cohibra45
03-03-09, 09:09
I guess it really does matter what you want/think you need for your rifles use...

If you want/need a rifle for combat/patrol duty use, then, fixed sights are probably the best idea around.

If you want/need a rifle for hunting/paper punching, then they might not be necessary or even wanted.

Then there are the people that are thinking of a true 'end of the world as we know it' will happen soon and then I don't really think anyone can foresee what anyone will need other than lots of prayers!!!

Now getting back to reality, I have an LMT with removable 'fixed' sights. I know that is something like 'jumbo shrimp', but they will work for me. I can remove them for optics if I want and put them back on if I feel the need for iron work. I don't need my rifle for combat use and I'm not a LEO needing one for work. So those work for me!!!

Right now, I have a 'cheap' Millett DMS-1 scope, but am thinking I might like to change in the future to an Aimpoint with my irons for home/SD and Trijicon Accupoint for serious hunting.

Manes
03-07-09, 00:03
Aimpoint on an LT150 mount with folders front and rear. I'm comfortable with using either sight setup but I hate clutter in my sight picture. Just makes for more blind spots.

stlyns
03-07-09, 13:00
I like fixed, front and rear. i would be open to use folders, but wuold mount the front on a gas block, any rail/forearm/barrel movement/misalignment would affect a sight mounted to a forearm it seems

Cameron
03-07-09, 15:16
I have ARs with both and personally prefer to be able to fold away the irons until needed.

ilike9s
03-07-09, 20:50
For me having a folding FS is one less thing to bang or get caught up on something.

boganz45
03-09-09, 22:22
With optics I prefer the fixed FSB and flip rear.