PDA

View Full Version : Sigma Magazines needed

browningboy84
02-28-09, 13:56
Ok, I know I am probably gonna get my chops busted, but I have a .40 S&W Sigma. I actually like the gun, and got it for a pretty good price. I am wondering does anybody make aftermarket mags for them? I know I can get them from S&W, but I would rather see if I can find them cheaper anywhere else.

MaceWindu
02-28-09, 16:08
Ok, I know I am probably gonna get my chops busted, but I have a .40 S&W Sigma. I actually like the gun, and got it for a pretty good price. I am wondering does anybody make aftermarket mags for them? I know I can get them from S&W, but I would rather see if I can find them cheaper anywhere else.

PM sent...

ST911
02-28-09, 17:23

Contact a S&W LE dealer. For a long time, one I frequent had a huge stack of them gathering dust, and boxes of used mags that came from agency trades.

Not only could they not give the guns away, they couldn't give away mags either.

varoadking
03-01-09, 07:34
I have an Allied Forces model SW9VE and like it as well. Great ergos, and Smith apparently did some magic on the action for me when I sent it back for a broken striker. Accurate as most hanguns, moreso than some.

CDNN seems to have some good prices on Sigma magazines compared to S&W, new and used:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/smithwesson.html

Ridge_Runner_5
03-01-09, 11:28
$30..not terrible..about the going price, though, according to Natchez (sold out) or gunbroker...

I'm gonna hop on this thread and say I'd be willing to buy a couple Sigma 9mm 16rd mags if the price is right...

RD62
03-01-09, 14:35
PM sent!

-RD62

tpd223
03-02-09, 05:27
We used to issue 9mm Sigmas here for awhile, and they also carried them down the road in KCMO.
The Sigma just plain sucked. Reliability issues, parts breakage, etc. I hated those guns after awhile.

We had a really big box of 9mm mags and couldn't give them away. I'm sure there are .40 mags laying around somewhere if you shop around.

That said, i hear they may have worked the bugs out of the system, I have no further experience with them after we canned all of the ones we had.

There are no aftermarket magazines as far as I know.

oldcrow
03-03-09, 09:44
I'm a new member here and immediately saw this posting about mags for the Sigma .40. About the cheapest mags I can find are in the neighborhood of the upper 30s for the 16 round. Personally I purchased the 9mm and would love to find several 16 round mags be it new or used, I don't care.

If there are two members who have seen these mags hanging around I'm sure there are bound to be a few more (hopefully) who will remember there are still a few of us who would love to get our hands on a few of these for a decent price?

About the S&W Sigma having a bad reputation, I had been doing some reading lately and found the older units did suffer from reliability problems. When I was in the market for buying another 9mm, some new owners of the Sigma's were happy because Smith & Wesson had taken care of these issues that gave the gun poor grades from those who had to use them. I was interested in the .40 but decided because I had quite a bit of 9mm ammo for my other 9, I figured I'd just stay with the 9mm. Personally I don't believe this gun will see a ton of rounds fired through it, I just basically wanted it as a back-up for around the house if my other gun wasn't with me.

So far just reading for a few days some of the issues being discussed on this Forum I have found to be very informative. For me, that's a real good thing. I appreciate feedback as long as it is constructive, but because I'm sure we all take a lot of garbage from non-gun owners, we all should stick together and treat each other with a little respect? See, motorcycles and old cars and trucks I might be able to tell all sorts of things, guns on the other hand? This is why I joined hoping I will learn quite a few things from those in the know.

markm
03-03-09, 09:53
and got it for a pretty good price.

How much did they pay you to take it? :p

ST911
03-03-09, 18:15
About the S&W Sigma having a bad reputation, I had been doing some reading lately and found the older units did suffer from reliability problems.

The newer ones are no better.

Ridge_Runner_5
03-03-09, 20:32

This is my 2nd Sigma...the only complaint is the trigger pull, which can be cleaned up marvelously with a polishing tool...

oldcrow
03-04-09, 15:33

Did you have to use yours for your job? If so I can imagine if you did and saw these guns had problems, I wouldn't want to depend on them either.

What kind of problems did the newer guns have that you encountered? Do you think they can be fixed (Ha, and not thrown in the trash and start the gun making and designing process all over again?)

I'd like to know for future refrence, because if these guns aren't worth their salt and they have a major flaw, I won't buy another one. But I'd like to know if they had problems with certain ammo? Or are pieces breaking? And if this is the case, what parts were they?

I got this gun as an extra one for the home and nothing else. I knew going into this deal the gun was a mass produced cheap 9mm, so I figured it would do fine for home defence because I wasn't taking it to the range, and I didn't have to depend on it everyday.

But thanks for your input. Every bit of information helps.

ST911
03-04-09, 17:29
A training venue that sees a lot of them advises students to bring a spare gun if they're planning to shoot a Sigma. Or have an armorer standing by.

Each of several agencies that used them had a multitude of issues, mostly unresolved even with replacement guns. They then had to beg LE firearm dealers for a trade allowance toward something else.

Eventually, S&W was unable to give them away to agencies transitioning or standardizing.

The "Enhanced" wasn't, and the guns I had in my hands failed to fire at an alarming rate. Subsequent samples were little better.

A S&W sales rep was heard saying that the Sigma wasn't suitable for a LE gun, but was fine for the commercial market. (My kingdom for a tape recorder.)

There are examples of those that run. Their use is usually minimal in volume and instensity.

That's what I know first-hand.

oldcrow
03-04-09, 18:34
A training venue that sees a lot of them advises students to bring a spare gun if they're planning to shoot a Sigma. Or have an armorer standing by.

Each of several agencies that used them had a multitude of issues, mostly unresolved even with replacement guns. They then had to beg LE firearm dealers for a trade allowance toward something else.

Eventually, S&W was unable to give them away to agencies transitioning or standardizing.

The "Enhanced" wasn't, and the guns I had in my hands failed to fire at an alarming rate. Subsequent samples were little better.

A S&W sales rep was heard saying that the Sigma wasn't suitable for a LE gun, but was fine for the commercial market. (My kingdom for a tape recorder.)

There are examples of those that run. Their use is usually minimal in volume and instensity.

That's what I know first-hand.

No wonder a few Shops have these in stock and are having big cost cutting sales on the Sigma. In these days of panic because there may or may not be some large tax put on guns and ammo (I guess we'll see?), where a lot of the big named real good guns are not available, and won't be for some time. There sure seems to be quite a few of the Sigma line available though?

Kinda makes one think. Again, thanks for the information.

I'm just glad I don't have to use mine all of the time.

varoadking
03-05-09, 20:58

I would beg to differ...

ST911
03-06-09, 09:45
I would beg to differ...

Okay. Please, share your experiences so we can all benefit.

MaceWindu
03-06-09, 12:26
*Shameless plug*

I have (1) 15 round stainless, factory S&W .40 mag, new condition....NO use for it, anyone? :D

Mace

varoadking
03-06-09, 21:18
Okay. Please, share your experiences so we can all benefit.

I have ^

I have an Allied Forces model SW9VE and like it as well. Great ergos, and Smith apparently did some magic on the action for me when I sent it back for a broken striker. Accurate as most hanguns, moreso than some.

ST911
03-06-09, 22:43
I have ^

Oops, quite right. Still, a sample of one, and a sample of one that broke on you. But okay.