PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Solutions blow out

cens
02-28-09, 20:50
I hooked a newish (one previous range trip) Tactical Solutions .22lr upper to a lower I had just assembled (DPMS shell with RRA parts). At the range today testing it out, I went 80 for 80 firing CCI MiniMags with no issues using a bipod, but had a few FTEs shooting offhand. Winchester Super Xs weren't quite as reliable. Out of 50 fired (all using the bipod), I had 5-6 FTE. I also had one ejection port blow out with a Super X round, which was quite a surprise.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/cens/badbullet.JPG

Any guesses as to what may have caused the blow out? I'm guessing that the bolt didn't fully cycle after the prior round. I figured folks here would be able to help me figure out what went wrong on that shot. (FWIW, the blown round did push the bullet through the barrel and there was no damage. I fired the rest of the magazine without much difficulty -- maybe one more FTE, IIRC).

Chris

Littlelebowski
02-28-09, 21:58
Firing out of battery.

tpd223
03-02-09, 05:51
Or a bad piece of brass.

militarymoron
03-04-09, 16:15
damn. i thought this topic was about some kinda super blow-out sale for tac sol uppers on the cheap. had my hopes up :(

motoman
03-29-09, 10:03
i thought that too.

cens
04-02-09, 16:31
Just to follow up on the OP, I've had the Tactical Solutions AR22 out a couple of times since I had the bad boom issue. Using only CCI MiniMags, I've had no repeats of the case blow out, and a decreasing amount of FTEs as the upper has broken in. I just found another 500 pack of the MiniMags so I can take it out again soon to get some more rounds through it.

Sorry if I got folks excited about a potential Tactical Solutions upper sale with my title. :p

Chris

decodeddiesel
04-02-09, 17:01
Firing out of battery.

This. It is a known issue with .22 rimfire conversion kits (I know the Tac-sol is a dedicated upper, but it's still a conversion kit at it's core). Make sure you always wear shooting glasses and have everyone around you wearing shooting glasses as well when firing a conversion kit.

cens
04-02-09, 17:52
This. It is a known issue with .22 rimfire conversion kits (I know the Tac-sol is a dedicated upper, but it's still a conversion kit at it's core). Make sure you always wear shooting glasses and have everyone around you wearing shooting glasses as well when firing a conversion kit.

Interesting that it may be a common, although probably not frequent, issue with the .22 conversions. Good advice on the safety glasses. I always wear them, and usually a ball cap as well.

Chris

Mega
04-14-09, 20:36
damn. i thought this topic was about some kinda super blow-out sale for tac sol uppers on the cheap. had my hopes up :(

Me too. :(

Abraxas
04-14-09, 20:40
Me too. :(

Me three

halo2304
04-14-09, 21:04
I recently bought a Spike's upper and I've had all kinds of jams with it after the first 100 or so rounds. Often times, there'll be a fresh round in the chamber while there's an empty between the bolt and chamber face. So far I have about 400 rounds through it. I haven't cleaned it except the rails the bolt rides on. I'll finish the box of Federal I have and then I'll do a detailed cleaning.