PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP - Recommendations for Competition

Gutshot John
03-01-09, 11:13
I've had this yen to compete with .45 but have only really done so with 9mm though I shoot both in training. I'll be using a custom combat 1911, not a race gun, in a practical format.

For those that compete I was just wondering what load/grain/bullet people are using for competition with .45 ACP. Currently I'm using Speer lawman for training, but I'm not sure whether that's adequate for competition.

Are you emphasizing velocity/accuracy or shootability/follow-up? I find the myth of .45 recoil to be overstated. For me out of a steel frame gun it doesn't seem uncomfortable at all so I can handle something a bit sharper if needed.

LonghunterCO
03-01-09, 17:19
Since you are in the reloading section I will give my reloading for match shooting talk, if you are only looking for factory loads then please disreguard:

I load for the lowest cost with the highest reliability. Lately the "lowest cost" is even more of a focus. It sounds like you are like me. I shoot local steel matches from my BladeTech IWB holster. The only gamer thing someone might say I use is some 10rd Mags in with my standard 8rd.
I shoot hard cast lead. I load it at Min/Mid/Max and test each of the three for reliability and how they group. Like I said reliability is number one, and as far a grouping I am looking for anything that is not too big. I then typically go with the lows powder charge load that runs 100%. (Hey what can I say, I'm Irish;))

You could apply this same thought to factory ammo. Shooting several with an eye towards the lowest cost stuff, with 100%. At this point we may have to shoot whatever we can find. Out here pick'ns are slim.

MarshallDodge
03-01-09, 17:42
I get 200 grain lead semi-wadcutters from a local source and run them over 4.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays and a Federal or Winchester primer.

My favorite is a 200 grain Rainier hollow point with the same ingredients as above. I use it on pins and it knocks them down with authority.

Amp Mangum
03-02-09, 09:55
230gr lead round nose over 4.2grs of Winchester WST.

Uni-Vibe
05-06-09, 01:32
For accuracy, 200 grain lead semi wadcutter, 4.0 to 4.5 grains Bullseye.
To more or less dupe factory loads for practice, 230 grain lead round nose, 5.0 grains Bullseye.

TomMcC
05-06-09, 10:36
I use 230g Bear Creek RN/Moly over 4.5g of Trailboss. Gives me about 740 fps out of my 5" Storm Lake barrel. This is an odd powder for an auto, but is the cleanest powder I have seen, and it is impossible to double charge a case. It was listed.

DRich
05-06-09, 11:44
230gr lead round nose over 4.2grs of Winchester WST.

I've been using this load for almost 20yrs. God only knows how many 5gal buckets of wheel weights I've melted down to feed my 1911's. :)