PDA

View Full Version : So I picked up a threaded LWD barrel for my G17....

bullitt5172
03-01-09, 11:24
Fit is perfect, has been 100% reliable so far and accuracy is excellent. I have two questions:

1. Do I need to run the thread protector or is it overkill.

2. If I need to use the protector, how do I keep it on. It will loosen up after a magazine.

sigmundsauer
03-01-09, 13:51
The thread protector isn't necessary, unless the pistol will be used in rigorous conditions that would chance damaging the threads.

Tim

Gentoo
03-01-09, 14:30
I would get the thread protector. Not because I have any kind of special knowledge (I don't) but because if anyone is unlucky enough to manage to damage the threads, it would be me.

What kind of suppressor are you using with it?

bullitt5172
03-01-09, 14:54
I would get the thread protector. Not because I have any kind of special knowledge (I don't) but because if anyone is unlucky enough to manage to damage the threads, it would be me.

No suppressor yet, MI dosen't allow them. I wanted an aftermarket barrel for shooting reloads and thought I would get the threaded barrel in case they are ever legal. This barrel may never see a can...

SHIVAN
03-01-09, 15:02
Degrease the threads, and put one very small drop of Rocksett on it.

Thread protector will probably never come off until you are ready to torque it off.

JohnN
03-01-09, 16:11

Me too, if anyone can bang the threads into something hard enough to screw them up I can. A thread protector gives me a little piece of mind, besides they look cool.