PDA

View Full Version : Help plan my vacation in FL

welchtactical
03-01-09, 13:46
I’m finally taking some vacation time this week. I’ll probably be heading out Tuesday morning, coming back on Friday night. I promised myself a little time when I was done with my 6 months with the Army in training! Thinking about heading down to the Clearwater – Tampa area in FL. I want to have some fun but I’m on a budget. Anyone know of a good, safe, cheap hotel in the area with a decently close drive to the beach? My girlfriend wants to go lay on the beach, and I want to go shoot! Are there any good ranges in the Area? Outdoor, 1-300 yard? Maybe a small place that would be dead during the week so I could move around a little. Any help greatly appreciated!

JediMindTricks
03-01-09, 16:12
If you're in Tampa you can go to either of these to shoot.

-Shooting Sports-Dale Mabry hwy (813) 933-3000
Least expensive, nice people! Old facility, needs to be updated. Have Juan help you.

-Shoot Straight- off of hwy 301, and MLK (813) 627-8550
Most expensive, people are alright... Very nice/modern facility, tons of gear/guns. 100 meter rifle range. Have Rick help you.

-Indoor Shooting Company-off of E. Fowler Ave (813) 986-9456
Only place where you can rapid fire. No rifles! Smallest facility of all.

-Knights Shooting Sport- Clearwater, off of US19 (727)-546-4447
Facility is on par with Shoot Straight and the people are friendlier. 100 meter rifle range.

There is a BIG outdoor range in Ocala I believe, but nothing of this sort in Tampa. All of the aforementioned are indoor ranges.

BigJim #1-8
03-01-09, 16:16
Visit the Randall Knives Shop & Museum in Orlando,it's on South Orange Blossom.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

RogerinTPA
03-01-09, 18:14
If you're in Tampa you can go to either of these to shoot.

-Shooting Sports-Dale Mabry hwy (813) 933-3000
Least expensive, nice people! Old facility, needs to be updated. Have Juan help you.

-Shoot Straight- off of hwy 301, and MLK (813) 627-8550
Most expensive, people are alright... Very nice/modern facility, tons of gear/guns. 100 meter rifle range. Have Rick help you.

-Indoor Shooting Company-off of E. Fowler Ave (813) 986-9456
Only place where you can rapid fire. No rifles! Smallest facility of all.

-Knights Shooting Sport- Clearwater, off of US19 (727)-546-4447
Facility is on par with Shoot Straight and the people are friendlier. 100 meter rifle range. (Actually 50 meters, 7 lanes rifle and 8 lanes, 25 meter pistol side) It's pretty dead during the day, but the evenings are pretty busy. They close at 8pm weekdays.

There is a BIG outdoor range in Ocala I believe, but nothing of this sort in Tampa. All of the aforementioned are indoor ranges.

Added additional info on Knight's Shooting Sports in blue.

Wyoming Antelope http://www.antelopeclub.org/ is on Ulmerton Rd. in Clearwater has an 100 yard outdoor rifle range, a 50 yard and 25 yard (Seems 15 yards to me) for pistol.

IF you aren't looking for crowds of tourist, check out the Dunedin Causeway (Where most of the locals go, I live 5 minutes away:cool:). Lot's of people walking jogging, biking, roller blading on a little over 2 miles of causeway and an excellent view of the intercoastal. You can drive your vehicle right on the beach, rent various water craft and Honeymoon Island (State Park) is right on the end. Also, there is a very intersting National Armed Services & Law Enforcement Museum in Dunedin that has various police firearms, uniforms and equipment, used over the history of Law Enforcement, world wide.

welchtactical
03-01-09, 18:27
Thanks for all the info so far. Now that I got the important part down (shooting) I have to find lodging now. What are hotels going for down there this time of year? Need to get on my googlefu! Hopefully I can find a mil discount place....

RogerinTPA
03-01-09, 18:30
Sanibel Island is also a great beach, located 30 min. south of Tampa. Try hotwire.com, then call the hotel for military discount. But be advised, Spring Break is starting to kick off so good prices and availability may be an issue.

sandman99and9
03-02-09, 08:12
From tampa its a short drive to lakeland and you can go to Teneroc outdoor range.
Lots of covered shooting benches and they have shotgun, and pistol ranges too.
They are good people there, very friendly.

S.M.

HES
03-02-09, 08:54
Ok best beach that I can suggest would be Ft. Desoto. Been to the Dunedin Causeway and while its a great locals hang out, I would strongly suggest Ft. Desoto (former #1 beach in the US, now retired from competition) at the extreme southern tip of Pinellas county, first. As for a hotel, it depends on which beach you select. As for ranges, I think the nearest would be the Hernando Sportsman club about 50 miles north.

Tipy
03-03-09, 17:04
Ft Pierce is on the east coast below Cape Canaveral. Great exibit for the National Navy SEAL Museum. Ft Pierce is pretty neat place also. Be sure and go to the Tiki Bar at the waterfront. You could do the trip in less than a day and probably be back in Tampa before dark.
Cape Canaveral has a great exibit also.
Tipy

5POINT56
03-04-09, 07:35
Sanibel Island is also a great beach, located 30 min. south of Tampa.

I personally think Boca Grande is a vastly nicer island than Sanibel and its a lot closer to Tampa.

Either way, both have awesome fishing. Boca Grande is the tarpon capital of the friggin' world....not to mention snook fishing up and down the west coast.

HES
03-04-09, 12:33
Well if you were traveling w/o the girlfriend or if she doesnt mind, might I suggest Mons Venus and 2001 and Thee Doll House. ;)

Japle
03-09-09, 19:23
Checxk with http://www.lastminute.com/site/main/locale-redirect.html

Palmguy
03-09-09, 19:43
I personally think Boca Grande is a vastly nicer island than Sanibel and its a lot closer to Tampa.

Either way, both have awesome fishing. Boca Grande is the tarpon capital of the friggin' world....not to mention snook fishing up and down the west coast.

+1

Also Sanibel is more like 2:30 from Tampa, not 0:30...

In any case...both are a little bit of a hike from the Tampa Bay area...if you are going to be in Tampa there is stuff to do that is closer.

I grew up near Boca Grande (Port Charlotte)...the Gulf Coast/Southwest Florida is beautiful...looking forward to going back myself.