PDA

View Full Version : DRT Pistol Ammo

wrinkles
03-02-09, 10:41
What is your take on this. Seems to me it under penetrates. It's also kind of hard to take serious with the two hot chicks on the box.

DRT lead-free projectile is a revolutionary round. The bullet breaks apart on contact with a solid surface. It can be calibrated to turn to metallic dust when it strikes the thinnest metal, or beefed up to pierce thick layers of steel.

Our round can be fired by law enforcement officers without any fear of ricochet or pass through, or fear of injury or death to innocent bystanders from ricochet or pass through.

ghideon
03-03-09, 19:49
Doc's thread on their .223 ammo if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26714

wrinkles
03-03-09, 21:27
Thanks, I've read it. I was just wondering what the take was on the pistol ammo. I haven't heard anything on it. Is it pretty much Extreme Shock, without the mall ninja names, Fang Faced yada yada. Seems like the rifle ammo is actually pretty good.

Jim from Houston
03-03-09, 22:42
I'll try to find it online, but I seem to recall someone doing a test of the DRT pistol ammo a while ago and finding that performance was no different from FMJ...evidently you need the higher velocity of a rifle to make the "powder core" do its thing...try looking around online and you might find the test that I'm thinking of.

DocGKR
03-04-09, 10:16
We have not shot any DRT pistol ammo yet, however, the old PRL 9 mm acted just like ball in gel testing.

wrinkles
03-04-09, 10:18
Thanks.

Jim from Houston
03-04-09, 19:15
Here's a link to a very rudimentary test of DRT 9mm pistol ammo...no way of verifying how the test was done, and it seems like a fairly informal exercise, but they come to the same conclusion that Doctor Roberts had about the PRL handgun rounds.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/drt_ammo.htm

wrinkles
03-04-09, 20:12
Jim Thanks. That was an interesting read.

Doc is there some place I can read your PLR tests.

QuietShootr
03-04-09, 20:56
Stan Bulmer returns?

DocGKR
03-05-09, 00:42
Jim from Houston--Woa, there is some pretty sketchy and poorly conceived information on that Chuck Hawks website...

wrinkles--nope, it was done for a military group.

Jim from Houston
03-05-09, 01:17
Yep, Chuck Hawks is pretty much a disaster as far as knowledge of terminal ballistics goes...he's one of the "147 gr 9mm rounds are cursed! Never use them!" people...

I hate to provide links to such a site, he just happens to have shot a DRT 9mm round into a water jug recently and witnessed no expansion, which was on point to the discussion at hand...

But yes, as a disclaimer to anyone looking for terminal ballistics info, don't go rooting around the Chuck Hawks site, or you're going to end-up carrying a Walther PPK loaded with Glasers :D