PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Christ, so it begins - Gattaca

MisterWilson
03-02-09, 22:57
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7918296.stm

Safetyhit
03-03-09, 08:37
Let's hope that this is restricted to only those who have a high risk of birth defects, as intended now. Laws need to be put in place asap to make sure of just that.

JediMindTricks
03-03-09, 11:11
This needs to be shut down. We humans are getting way to used to artificiality, and we're quickly losing all that makes us truly human.

thopkins22
03-03-09, 11:26
I'm not generally in favor of laws dictating what we can and cannot do so long as that action doesn't affect others.

BUT, if you haven't read Michael Crichton's book, "Next" you need to. The laws regulating, and general direction of genetic research and gene patenting is a very scary area worth getting hysterical about, and he usually steered clear of hysteria.

kal
03-03-09, 13:55
I don't mind it at all. Whatever neccessary to produce a healthy human being. My dad's side of the family has a history of high cholesterol. So do I...:mad:

kaiservontexas
03-03-09, 19:42
This needs to be shut down. We humans are getting way to used to artificiality, and we're quickly losing all that makes us truly human.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/081217/Battlestar-Galactica/Anders-Tyrol-Tigh-Tory_l.jpg

Soon . . . :D

MisterWilson
03-03-09, 19:57
I don't mind it at all. Whatever necessary to produce a healthy human being. My dad's side of the family has a history of high cholesterol. So do I...:mad:

IM me your shipping address so that I can mail you the movie Gattaca. This is Pandora's box.

ETA: Seriously, drop me a line.

warpigM-4
03-03-09, 22:02
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/081217/Battlestar-Galactica/Anders-Tyrol-Tigh-Tory_l.jpg

Soon . . . :D
that's fracking funny ,skin jobs:D only 3 more shows:(

HES
03-04-09, 12:34
IM me your shipping address so that I can mail you the movie Gattaca. This is Pandora's box.
QFT...this is not going to turn out well at all.

and I think were gonna get screwed in those shows :(

Outlander Systems
03-04-09, 20:02
Step One: STOP!

Step Two: GO TO WWW.AMAZON.COM

Step Three ORDER THIS BOOK, NOW:
http://www.amazon.com/Absence-Sacred-Failure-Technology-Survival/dp/0871565099

Despite me not being in full agreement with the author's political idealogy, his thesis is still correct: We, as citizens in western civilisation, have a "non-discriminatory" policy when it comes to emerging technologies. Innocent 'til proven guilty, though by the time a technology has proven to have detrimental effects on a society, on the earth, whatever, it's usually past the point of return; it's reached a critical mass.

Technology very rarely ever lives up to it's envisioned promises, and usually takes something AWAY from us every bit as much as it "gives".

Genetic engineering is, like, totally un-cool.

Shihan
03-04-09, 20:24

This saddens me but hopefully it will go out great.

losbronces
03-04-09, 20:46
Interesting, but I'm of the opinion that genetic engineering has been going on for a long time as in centuries. People have selectively bred plants and animals (thus genetically controlling various traits exhibited in the process) and today it is my opinion that there is not a single food crop or animal that hasn't undergone an "unnatural" selection process. This includes cattle, sheep, hogs, chickens, corn, wheat, soy beans, etc. Even domestic dogs have been "genetically engineered" over time to produce the various breeds (some with significant genetic defects now common as well). Look at how standards for hogs and cattle have changed even over the last 30 years. The flightless, weight forward domestic turkey is another example of what I consider to be fairly extreme genetic engineering (they could never live outside captivity).

So I'm loath to condemn genetic engineering when we are all the beneficiaries.

Having said that, allowing people to choose what traits other people should have could be very dangerous. Look at the current situation in China, where due to population control regulations the male population is starting to exceed the female population significantly because the Chinese choose to have sons over daughters. The Nazis in Germany were actively restricting who was allowed to have children. I don't think most people would support that type of situation (although there would be some).