PDA

View Full Version : ammo shortages getting ridiculous - how am i gonna train this year?

30 cal slut
03-03-09, 09:38
tried looking for 5.56 ammo lately?

everybody's sold out in 55 and 62 gr. even wolf lacquer coated is out!

widener's, palmetto state armory, ammoman, ammunitiontogo ... OUT OF STOCK.

i'm concerned that this means i won't be training as much ... if you you need 1,000-2,000 rounds of rifle ammo for a class, this could be tough even if you have the money to pay for a class.

i hope these shortages are temporary (high prices nothwithstanding).

there's 5.54x39 out there, but i'm having a hard time finding 5.45x39 M4 uppers (Smith & Wesson dealers SOLD OUT).

Grant?

Iraqgunz
03-03-09, 09:44
Surplusammo.com has PMC 1000rd case for 379.00. Wideners still has Prvi Partizan 75gr. match ammo for just over 400.00 for 1000rds.

markm
03-03-09, 09:50
It's funny. I watch ATG's ball ammo every few days to see if anything interesting pops up. After the A.G. announced that our Dunce President wanted an AWB, the inventory went BLANK!

Even the silver bear or brown bear or whatever that crap is was GONE!

30 cal slut
03-03-09, 09:50
thanks!

Iraqgunz
03-03-09, 10:06
30slut,

Also, Wideners still has 455 rounds of the Prvi Partizan 62gr. ball ammo as well. I was just on Hornady's website and was shocked to see a 4-6 month wait time for ammo. Holy Shit!. Luckily I called and found out that the 8126N TAP is only 4-6 weeks out and the .308 I want is in stock. Guess I better get my order in.

Mark,

Still waiting on the M855. He said it was delayed due to the weather and crap of the last few days. I will keep on him though like white on rice.

markm
03-03-09, 10:21
Mark,

Still waiting on the M855. He said it was delayed due to the weather and crap of the last few days. I will keep on him though like white on rice.

No sweat.

TOM1911
03-03-09, 10:31
Now this is just my opinion but, As I see it, all the ammo shortages are contributable to everybody knee jerk reacting to every small thing that BHO and the AG does or is rumored to be doing. This in turn causes the ill informed to hoard away 10 to 50 thousand rounds without seeing the end result, ie. shortages and high prices. We are the root cause of our own problems in this venue and it won't improve until everybody quits panicking. Really, what value is having 20 to 70 thousand rounds of ammo for a firearm that the government could possibly take, what will you be left with? thousands of dollars in debt for something you can't even usr anymore. Everybody needs to calm down and the market will stabilize. People such as myself who are not willing to hock their future or simply cannot afford to, are being shut out by the mass panic of a large percentage of misinformed sheeple who would bankrupt themselves just to have something someone else doesn't. It needs to end now.... Rant off:D

markm
03-03-09, 10:48
I pretty much agree. I haven't really bought bulk ammo since it was cheap.

I pick up a little ammo here and there just to research what's out there. That, and not buying any ammo at all just feels wrong.

Aubrey
03-03-09, 12:12
Note that Widener's quoted 18+ days to ship from order time a couple of weeks ago.

Iraqgunz
03-03-09, 12:58
Because rest assured whether I have 100 rounds or 50000 rounds the gov't WILL NOT be taking any of my weapons or ammo. If you choose to give yours up that is your prerogative. Since I pay cash for my weapons and ammo I won't be in debt.

The reason people are "panicking" is because the President and his Attorney General have made it clear what their intentions are. In case you hadn't noticed there was an ammo problem before the elections.

Now this is just my opinion but, As I see it, all the ammo shortages are contributable to everybody knee jerk reacting to every small thing that BHO and the AG does or is rumored to be doing. This in turn causes the ill informed to hoard away 10 to 50 thousand rounds without seeing the end result, ie. shortages and high prices. We are the root cause of our own problems in this venue and it won't improve until everybody quits panicking. Really, what value is having 20 to 70 thousand rounds of ammo for a firearm that the government could possibly take, what will you be left with? thousands of dollars in debt for something you can't even usr anymore. Everybody needs to calm down and the market will stabilize. People such as myself who are not willing to hock their future or simply cannot afford to, are being shut out by the mass panic of a large percentage of misinformed sheeple who would bankrupt themselves just to have something someone else doesn't. It needs to end now.... Rant off:D

Signel
03-03-09, 13:02
I was wondering what all the classes are going to do. The price of ammo and lack of availability has to be driving down demand.

I would think that they would need to come up with creative ways to teach/train using 1/3rd the ammo.

After all, 90% of training is done at home according to Travis Haley. Why not just adapt his home training to class? The key would be having someone there to correct your mistakes on things such as reload/position.

I am not sure it would be very popular though. I know that I would want to shoot in class..

shadowalker
03-03-09, 13:03
I've been spending a lot of time dry firing, and then re-enforcing at the range.

There has been plenty of 5.56 around Boise but not much else. I just got 30 boxes of PRVI 55 grain from Midway for $7.99 a box (ordered Friday, delivered tomorrow) for a class. Sportsmans and Cabelas have plenty of 5.56, mostly XM193 for $8.99 - $9.99 per box.

I haven't had a problem getting what I need but it is a bit like buying PMAGS, you have to buy it when you see it or it will be gone.

A friend went to Walmart to buy 9mm, they had just got 50 boxes in, he was third in line. First guy bought 2 boxes, second guy bought 48 boxes, no ammo for friend.

Eventually the hoarders will run out of money or will have to liquidate ammo to pay bills.

kittyhawk
03-03-09, 17:56
I have been shoping all afternoon for some 223/5.56 and as much as I hate to shoot Wolf I just got 1000 rounds from Midway, right now they have 55gr 500 round cased for $146.99 and 62gr 500 round cases for $143.99.
I got the 62gr and It comes to $6.10 a box shipped.

I know I will get dinged for this but 1000 rounds to the front door for $305 is not to bad and it will be here by next wensday.......

So I can keep all my good stuff hid away............

kaiservontexas
03-03-09, 18:13
Ammo started its climb back in 07 if I remember correctly. The current nonsense is people trying to catch up and be prepared. That is my opinion anyway . . . I do hope they are buying food also if that is the case. You know the whole "we will have to fight to keep them thing," which I do agree with but do not think that is about to happen.

I have not gone shooting in a while because of this panic. When Walmart has no bricks of .22lr . . . that is just freaky.

Cagemonkey
03-03-09, 20:30
I say buy all the ammo you can. It will be the futures new currency. The way things look now, the dollar won't be worth anything in the SHTF situation. 20 rds, loaf of bread. 30 rds, six pack of bottled H20 etc.

Joe Mamma
03-03-09, 21:14

This is precisely why I have plenty of ammo and you don't. :p

Joe Mamma

30 cal slut
03-04-09, 06:38
This is precisely why I have plenty of ammo and you don't. :p

Joe Mamma

LOL.

Well, I have to confess, I've been doing my fair share of black-rifle hoarding. I'm slutty for gear to start with, and am still scared at what the gun-grabbers are planning.

But ... I guess this is silly of me ... I haven't hoarded ammo at all. I've been buying just enough to get me through a season of training.

OldNavyGuy
03-04-09, 07:56
way back when 5.56mm was $140.00 a 1,000 rnd case, i bought a "few" ;) cases, i am also a reloader so i keep the costs down, the "factory" ammo is sealed and stored in a safe "bunker like" place.

As I see it, all the ammo shortages are contributable to everybody knee jerk reacting to every small thing that BHO and the AG does or is rumored to be doing. This in turn causes the ill informed to hoard away 10 to 50 thousand rounds without seeing the end result, ie. shortages and high prices.

while the above may in part be true, i disagree with the "ill informed".., these are the folks like myself who are well informed due to past experiences with liberals and their idiotic compulsion to ban firearms and anything to do with them and armed self defense !

OldNavyGuy
03-04-09, 08:08
ammo shortages getting ridiculous - how am i gonna train this year?

have you given this any consideration ??

http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/home.asp

i am not in "training" just a plinker with the one below,

http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/catalog/M4%20L2.jpg

SKU: TS_AR15_M4
Weight: 6 lbs 8 ozs
Features: - Standard A4 Flat-Top - Heat Treated 416 Stainless Steel Bolt - Tool Steel Bolt Rail - High Quality Chrome Moly Barrel Blank - 16.1” Barrel length - 1 in 16” Twist - 1/2-28 Threads - M4 Contour - A1 Flash Hider PLEASE CALL 866-333-9901 TO ORDER More details...
Price: $610.00
Availability: Typically ships within 120 days

it is a dedicated .22LR upper and is in my OPINION the best .22LR upper on the market.

RogerinTPA
03-04-09, 08:41
I say an individual ammo slow down is in order. If you have a good stash, just buy what you need and scale back on shooting. Stop being an ammo whore, which I am guilty of. Dry fire to practice technique and build muscle memory, and as someone said, reinforce that at the range. I'm no longer going to shoot 200-300 rounds of pistol and rifle ammo a session anymore. I'm going to make an effort to cut that in half, save money and reorder when necessary. Save your stash for training.

Mung
03-04-09, 08:52
I'm thinking of selling my Magpul MPL Recce so I can buy some ammo.:mad: I'd like to have at least 5K rounds on hand.

subzero
03-04-09, 11:44
I say an individual ammo slow down is in order. If you have a good stash, just buy what you need and scale back on shooting. Stop being an ammo whore, which I am guilty of. Dry fire to practice technique and build muscle memory, and as someone said, reinforce that at the range. I'm no longer going to shoot 200-300 rounds of pistol and rifle ammo a session anymore. I'm going to make an effort to cut that in half, save money and reorder when necessary. Save your stash for training.

I did that a couple of years ago when 5.56 went to 350+ a case for good stuff. I think I shoot roughly 100 rds of 5.56 every 6 months outside of classes now, just for checking zeroes and similar.

I converted to all 9mm for handguns. For range sessions, I'll pick up a couple of boxes on the way to the range instead of dipping into the stash. It limits ow much I actually shoot, and keeps me from getting in the stash. 9mm has gone from ~180/case to ~250/case over the last 6 months, so even cheap isn't cheap anymore.

I bought a 22 upper, but you can't really say a 22 is a training upper. It's fun. It's too easy. It's not the same. But I'm glad I have it because I don't feel the least bit guilty about shooting a brick of 22 for 25 bucks.

I recently purchased a 5.45 upper to shoot up the ~5k of corrosive I have sitting around. The plan is, stop shooting expensive stuff at training classes. If a 5.45 upper for an AR doesn't work out, switch over to an AK.

larry0071
03-04-09, 11:52
switch over to an AK.

Not sure if you've peaked at the 7.62x39.... but you can't find it and it's priced nearly to what 5.56 is.

The world is coming to an end, the sky fell, and hell froze over! AK's and thier ammo are now becoming expensive premium desirables!~

Who'da ever thunk it!

Eric Kozowski
03-04-09, 15:36
Oh for the days of the $0.12/rd South African surplus to return. Glad I stocked up then. :D

MaceWindu
03-04-09, 16:58
R-e-l-oa-d-e-r....I have (2) Dillon 550's...one dedicated to pistol, one to carbine...plus free brass...:D

Mace

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-04-09, 17:00
I'm thinking of selling my Magpul MPL Recce so I can buy some ammo.:mad: I'd like to have at least 5K rounds on hand.

I'll give you 5k rounds for an MPL Reece

Medicine Calf
03-04-09, 18:17
Even the silver bear or brown bear or whatever that crap is was GONE!

Say what you will but Brown Bear shoots in my 6920, and I just picked up 4k from surplusammo. I already have more XM193 than I can even think about reloading.

markm
03-04-09, 20:41
Say what you will but Brown Bear shoots in my 6920.

I have a colt commando upper that ran 40 rounds of it pretty well too. I wouldn't go long in that stuff though because I have tons of reloads.

seb5
03-04-09, 20:52
I just ordered 1000 Wolf 62 grain FMJ for 319.00 delivered from Cabelas of all places. I just can't get myself to shoot my stashed cans of the US 55 and 62 grain good stuff. Between that and 1200 rounds of Winchester ball I should be able to get at least one class in this year.

Medicine Calf
03-04-09, 20:52
I have a colt commando upper that ran 40 rounds of it pretty well too. I wouldn't go long in that stuff though because I have tons of reloads.

Yeah, I'm trying to husband my brass loaded till I can order a good quantity for a decent price. Brown Bear fits the bill in the mean time. Minute of skull at 100yd. sitting indian-style.

FromMyColdDeadHand
03-04-09, 22:41
Yeah, I'm trying to husband my brass loaded till I can order a good quantity for a decent price. Brown Bear fits the bill in the mean time. Minute of skull at 100yd. sitting indian-style.

It's 'cross-legged style' you racist pig, and while we're at it, how about 91.44 meters.

What is really got me scratching my head is that zinc, copper and lead are about 1/4 the price they were last year. So demand is what must be holding prices up, and that is what is worrying me. When demand slacks off prices should drop like a rock.

A-Bear680
03-05-09, 05:26
It was cheaper by the tub.

Oh for the days of the $0.12/rd South African surplus to return. Glad I stocked up then. :D
I'm still shooting the old cheap S.A.-- it's the oldest ammo that I have. There are about 4 packs left. Then I'll work my way through the old cases of S&B.

RogerinTPA
03-05-09, 08:32
It's 'cross-legged style' you racist pig, and while we're at it, how about 91.44 meters.

What is really got me scratching my head is that zinc, copper and lead are about 1/4 the price they were last year. So demand is what must be holding prices up, and that is what is worrying me. When demand slacks off prices should drop like a rock.

You can thank the "Obama Effect" for that...