PDA

View Full Version : Components of a decent trauma kit?

Mikey
03-03-09, 11:08
Anyone care to list what would be prudent to carry in a small to medium sized personal trauma kit?

Looking to get this squared away.

techo
03-03-09, 11:30
I have the Adventure Medical Trauma kit. It's a good, basic low cost kit.
http://www.basegear.com/amk-field-trauma.html

03-03-09, 12:44
Mikey, is this a carry around with you all the time kit? If it's a go-bag type kit I would skip the pain relievers and stick with the meat and potatoes. Bandages, trauma shears, gauze, etc..

rob_s
03-03-09, 13:22
I am NOT a medical professional of any kind....

Looking at the military kits is a good start.

the below in chart form (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsHamft6qeM9Fg)

Below information taken from here (http://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/IFAK.htm)

US ARMY IMPROVED FIRST AID KIT CONTENTS:
http://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/Pictures/IFAK.jpg
NSN............................Nomenclature
6515-01-521-7976.......Tourniquet, Combat Application
6510-01-492-2275.......Bandage Kit, Elastic
6510-01-503-2117 / 6510-00-058-3047 Bandage Gauze 4-1/2" 100/Pkg
6510-00-926-8883.......Adhesive Tape Surg 2" 6's Roll
6515-01-180-0467.......Airway, Nasopharyngeal, 28fr, 12s
6515-01-519-9161.......Glove, Patient Exam 100/Pkg (4ea)
6545-01-531-3647.......Pouch, IFAK
6545-01-531-3147.......Insert, IFAK (has folding panels, with cord attached)

USMC INDIVIDUAL FIRST AID KIT CONTENTS:
http://www.armyproperty.com/Equipment-Info/Pictures/USMC-IFAK.jpg
IFAK A1 Component Individual First Aid Kit - NSN 6545-01-539-2740 (includes the following items):
6510-01-499-9285.......3.5 oz. Quikclot Packet (1ea)
6515-01-542-7696TK4 Tourni-Kwik Self-Application Tourniquet 40" (2ea)
6510-01-540-6484......."H" Compression Bandage w/8" x 10" Ab Pad (2ea)
6510-01-503-2117.......Primed Compressed Gauze 4.5" x 4.1 yards (2ea)
8105-09-000-2725.......Pouch NSN (1ea)

IFAK A1 Minor First Aid Kit Component NSN 6545-09-000-2727 (includes the following items):
6510-01-514-4518.......Adhesive Bandage 2" x 4 1/2" (5ea)
6510-00-913-7909.......Adhesive Bandages, 3/4" x 3" (10ea)
6510-00-201-1755.......Triangular Bandages, 40"x40"x56" Non-sterile (2ea)
6510-01-549-0927.......Combat Reinforcement Tap 2" x 100" (1ea)
6510-01-243-5894.......Burn Dressing 4" x 16", Water-Jel (1ea)
N/A...............................Bacitracin Antibiotic Oinment 0.9 gram (8ea)
6505-00-914-3593.......Povidone-Iodine Topical Solution USP 10% 1/2 floz. (1ea)
6850-00-985-7166.......Water Purification Tablets 10 Pack, Katadyn Micropur, Sodium Chlorite (1ea)

SeriousStudent
03-03-09, 18:21
The Adventure Medical Kits are a good way to start. It is nice to have a little bit of snivel gear - aspirin, sinus meds, bandaids.

I always end up building my own, so it has what I want. It's sort of like Rob's advice on AR's: Buy your first one, then build what you want next.

And I'll mirror his other question: How much do you want to spend, and what do you want to do with it? :D

It is also a good idea to get a bit of instruction before using a tourniquet or an NP airway.

And think about how far away from help you are. Are you going two weeks into the Alaskan bush, or shooting at a range that is just 10 minutes from a Level-1 trauma center? The range I usually shoot at is about an hour from a good trauma center. My medical kit is corresponding more complex.

And the best medical device is the one between your ears. You can improvise a LOT if you know what you are doing, and have just some basics. But if was your daughter that got shot, you'd want some suitable gear, right?

CharlieMike
03-03-09, 19:53
INADB (I'm not a doctor but...),

+1 on adventure medical.

I like Rob's kit as well. I wonder if this is only for yourself or do you expect to use this on others? If so, at least one of some kind of chest seal (Asherman, Hyfin, or Bolin type) might be good to add.

rob_s
03-03-09, 20:26
And think about how far away from help you are. Are you going two weeks into the Alaskan bush, or shooting at a range that is just 10 minutes from a Level-1 trauma center?

I think this is very important and can't be over stated.

Mikey
03-03-09, 20:33
Mikey, is this a carry around with you all the time kit? If it's a go-bag type kit I would skip the pain relievers and stick with the meat and potatoes. Bandages, trauma shears, gauze, etc..

This would be a kit for SHTF situation on my vest or go-bag. I carry a pretty decent first aid kit(bandaids, asprin, a few rolls of gauze and tape, shears, etc.) in each of my vehicles for minor stuff. I'm really looking for something I would be able to use on myself to patch up a GSW until I can get proper medical attention.

-Mike

SeriousStudent
03-03-09, 23:16
This would be a kit for SHTF situation on my vest or go-bag. I carry a pretty decent first aid kit(bandaids, asprin, a few rolls of gauze and tape, shears, etc.) in each of my vehicles for minor stuff. I'm really looking for something I would be able to use on myself to patch up a GSW until I can get proper medical attention.

-Mike

Then Rob's suggested kit sounds like a very good one.

And make sure there are at least one, preferably two working cell phones there with you.

If you get a chance, you might think of something like the military "nine-line card" for calling in the medical emergency. You want to be able to tell them who, what, where, how many, etc.

If you are in a more remote location, a set of GPS coordinates of your range could literally be a lifesaver. A medevac bird can fly directly to you, and save a lot of time.

Good luck.

SeriousStudent
03-03-09, 23:21
Oh, and I would be sorely tempted to add shears and a light to that IFAK.

And a blue filter on a white light is often handy for spotting blood in low-light conditions.

kihnspiracy
03-04-09, 00:16
Great info. I think the USMC kit will fill my needs.

bluepythons
03-04-09, 02:44
I agree on the scissors. Around here (MN) we have Fleet Farm (farm vet supply) stores that have all sorts of cool stuff. One of their best buys is trauma sheers for $.99. They call them "super scissors"or something like that but they are all stainless and work better then the ones that came with my kit. At that price I keep one in just about every bag I have (range bag, duty bag, computer bag, etc etc.)

I would also add a small plastic or wooden dowel and a sharpie marker. As a last resort you use the dowel as a windlass with your roll gauze. You roll on a couple of layers where you want to make your tourniquet or very direct pressure, add the the dowel, and roll some more. Than start to twist the towel to tighten it up. Again that is usually a very last resort and these days with quick clot products is needed less. This technique was taught to me in my EMT class as a rural SHTF type situation. The sharpie can be used to write treatments, meds given, or if a tourniquet is used write a "T" on the skin where you did. The sharpie can also be used for triage purposes. I also keep some para cord in every go kit as well, enough uses.

Before I buy anything fancy though, training is key. Just like many of us recommend to new AR users. So many opportunities through community ed are out there to get a first responder or EMT certification, I recommend it to everyone. Another applicable rule from firearms that also applies is the gear drives the mission. Like others have posted, you need to prepare for your situation. I live in rural MN so cell phones dont always work. I try to always then take my work radio or ham radio and GPS with me when traveling, training, or hunting somewhere without cell coverage. Keep in mind if you are traveling remote, or it becomes remote and you or someone is injured it takes it to a new level. Things to think about include water, shelter, food, etc until help can arrive.

All in all, when it comes to first aid trauma etc, the basic rule is air goes in and out and blood goes round and round. if you can keep the body doing that all is good!

Great thread, glad to see the new section.

ETA I also carry some tagaderm patches. They are the clear plastic patch that is normally used to secure IV's. They make great occlusive (sucking chest wound) dressings and are cheap and easy to find.

Iraq Ninja
03-04-09, 09:02
EMT scissors are old school now. They wear out while cutting clothing off of people. More people are starting to use benchmade 7 hook seat belt cutters. This is what the emergency room at the Baghdad CSH has been using for a while now. It is compact and great for seat belts too. Keep the scissors as a backup...

http://www.outdoorknifeandtool.com/7BLKW-Hook/p/OK1015;jsessionid=24324B2F18756B246974CAEE72261622.app2-delorean

Mikey
03-04-09, 09:10
Thanks for the advice!

-Mike

SeriousStudent
03-04-09, 17:59
EMT scissors are old school now. They wear out while cutting clothing off of people. More people are starting to use benchmade 7 hook seat belt cutters. This is what the emergency room at the Baghdad CSH has been using for a while now. It is compact and great for seat belts too. Keep the scissors as a backup...

Indeed, very good point, sir. Aren't most units issuing a pair of shears to each grunt, and the medics using the tools you mentioned? That way the shears are bascially considered a disposable item?

I have one of these rigged to the outside of my AMS Mountain Medic bag, and it works very well.

http://www.ztknives.us/ZT_Tools.html

It's made of 154CM steel, and keeps a good edge. It's sort of a specialized tool, however, and costs more than most people's blowout kit. The Benchmade tool is definitely more affordable.

And bluepython's idea of a Sharpie is a good one. They make smaller ones now that do not take up much space. Be aware that depending on your patient's skin tone, it may be possible to miss even a large "T" drawn on a forehead.

rob_s
03-04-09, 18:06
A buddy of mine is at COP Shocker and he said they're issued the BM RH7.

calebgriffin31
03-05-09, 12:40
I am currently trying to get those bm rh7's issued right now. There are too many good uses for them not to get them. Blue python, That is great advice regarding training. More often than not, in the span of your lifetime you will be in a situation where it could save someone's life. Personally I would like to be prepared to do something when that happens. Back on topic, The USMC IFAK is a good piece of gear. I do add a Sharpie, safety razor, 550 cord, chem lights, and a bic lighter.

Iraq Ninja
03-05-09, 14:16
Not sure if the BMs are issued, but they are for sale at the Victory PX.

www.tacmedsolutions.com has some good kit, and is run by a former 18D. They also have some online training videos. I recently got one of their dog med kits. I haven't tried it yet, but I will shoot my neighbor's dog this weekend and report back...

Mikey
03-05-09, 14:40
That place is awesome, I'm about halfway through the videos. They have answered about 10 questions I was about to post up.

Thanks for posting that link.

-Mike

calebgriffin31
03-05-09, 16:06
Thanks for that link. It looks like there is quite a bit of information there.

Ipsilateral_7
03-05-09, 17:16
Anyone care to list what would be prudent to carry in a small to medium sized personal trauma kit?

Looking to get this squared away.

what type of medical training do you have?

Mikey
03-05-09, 19:19
First aid, CPR, real basic stuff . Ive stitched myself up more than a few times.

I'm not an EMT by any means. I just want to get some thing that I can patch myself up with until I can get to the hospital.

-Mike

SeriousStudent
03-05-09, 21:04

I recently got one of their dog med kits. I haven't tried it yet, but I will shoot my neighbor's dog this weekend and report back...

BWHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Well played! :D

airwayguru
03-11-09, 04:19
Packs of Choice: Conterra Patrol III and Conterra Longbow.

Equipment List for both (Different Amounts of Equipment)

Infection Control Kit, ERT-1, Sterile 2X2, 4X4, 5X9, Trauma Dressing, 3" Kling/Kerlix, 4"Kling/Kerlix, 4" ETD, 6" ETD, Ashmer Chest Seal, Minor Wound Kit, Hand Sanitizer, SAM Splints, 2" Ace, 4" Ace, Triangular Bandage, Instant Ice Packs, Adjustable Cervical Collar, Emergency Blanket, Blood Pressure Kit, 1" Transpore Tape, 2" Dermicel Tape, Athletic Tape, Duck Tape, Bandage Scissors, Locking Forceps, Flashlight, 10' Webbing, and Carabiner's.

Larger Pack has KTD and Flex Litter.

Paladin_139
03-17-09, 14:31
I talked to our SWAT medic the other day he advised each memeber of the team carries the following on them in an individual blowout kit: 1- large kerlex wrap, 1- large ace wrap, 1- tactical torniquet, 1- nasopharyngeal airway, 1-occlusive dressing, 1-16g needle for chest decompression, 1-pair of trauma scissors.

This is just a basic setup to get the guy stable enough to get to the ambulance after the scene is secured.

Total cost runs about $80.00 on North American Rescue's site not including any type of pouch and most of it is NTOA recommended.

Rider
03-17-09, 22:27
There is a good deal on a fairly complete combat casualty kit over at uscav.com. If you get the black pack its "only" $84 which is about $61 less then anywhere else I could find it. Add some quikclot and you are pretty well prepared.

Link-http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=17093&TabID=1&CatID=60

Kimbo
03-17-09, 23:21
Be careful of the iodine, they have a tendency to leak or break and can get iodine all over your IFAK.

Jsaleen
03-18-09, 18:29
Do any of you more "knowledgeable guys" think that this kit would be any good? I'm thinking of getting one and a Medic Pouch of some sort. I plan on adding some medical tape, tourniquet and EMT Shears.

http://www.practicaltactical.net/prostores/servlet/-strse-277/Individual-Trauma-Kit/Detail

NinjaMedic
03-18-09, 20:57
JSaleen, I think that the components in that kit probably are not the best combo and most are sized too small. I would get a 6" Izzy with the slider, I have not seen many extremity wounds that were not through-and-through, and the slider gives you a second dressing you could even use with kerlix. Even many extremity stab wounds go all the way through. Anything the 4" can do the 6" can do and its more versatile with irregularly shaped wounds, large wounds etc. I would throw in a 4" roll of kerlix for packing wounds, a 4" ACE Bandage which can be used with the Kerlix as a pressure dressing, ankle support, all sorts of things. I do not recommend hemostatic agents for civilian non tactical care, even in a tactical environment they are very very seldom necessary. Couple that with how controversial they are in medical circles and you are setting yourself up for trouble. Buy yourself a box of nitrile gloves in Large as the most people can wear them. Put 5-10 pair in a ziplock bag in each vehicle you own and in your kit. I would skip the chemlight unless you are pretty sure that you are going to carry it in a bag that wont flex the chemlight, they have a bad habit of activating if crammed in a bag and flexed to much, stick with a flashlight. Also add in a set of trauma sheers and put it all in an el cheapo pouch of some sort that you can throw in your gear, a lot of guys go to goodwill, pick up a nylon fanny pack, and cut off the belt.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=05132&type=store (Israeli Emergency Bandage - 6" Slider (FCP-05)
NSN: 6510-01-515-7528)

BTW - Here is a list of the different models of the "Izzy":

FCP-01 4"
FCP-02 6"
FCP-03 4" White
FCP-05 6" With Slider
FCP-06 6" White
FCP-07 4" With Slider
FCP-08 6" Self-Adherent, Brown
FCP-09 20" Abd Dressing
FCP-10 20" Abd Dressing, White

Jsaleen
03-19-09, 06:36
Thanks for the advise Tacmed. Ill look into changing up my selections.

mew
03-20-09, 17:10
shtf kit= good tourniquet ie; garrotte type with a handle or a simple 1/4" flexible rubber hose like an auto bp cuff hose. lots of ace bandages for compression with a loafs of kling. I like kling for actual bleeding as trauma dressings are just that, dressing or covering wounds IMO. remember, to stop hemmorhage you must put pressure with something to clot the bleed ie; gauze. some vessels will be nearly impossible to stop ie; femoral/carotids and you most likely will exanguinate. The newest magic is the quick clot type stuff which does work for sure, combat proven, but again its expensive and I don't think ANYTHING beats direct compression because without that you WILL die without a doubt. If I could buy the clotting stuff cheap I would for sure put it in my pack. In my shtf kit its only must have items as mentioned. Now for first aid put whatever you want in it, at that point its not an emergency and you can go to Wal mart and have a field day.
FWIW at my EMS system we don't use the quick clot but the local Sheriff does. go figure:confused:

Doc Solo
03-20-09, 18:20
shtf kit= good tourniquet i..... a simple 1/4" flexible rubber hose like an auto bp cuff hose.

No narrow guage tourniquets. Use the one you are issued, or one that is substantially similar to a commonly issued one. ( i.e. any of the top contenders in the NAVSEA study)

Barbara
03-21-09, 05:32
Be careful of the iodine, they have a tendency to leak or break and can get iodine all over your IFAK.

And a lot of people are allergic to it.

Vic303
03-21-09, 09:20
What are y'alls thoughts on dealing with the probability of an allergic reaction to insect stings etc? I always have caplet Benadryl, and DH does carry an Epipen at work for wasp/bee allergy. I am wondering if the 'children's' liquid benadryl would be a suitable option, as it is easier to swallow and faster acting since there is no caplet to dissolve or to stick in the throat which could be restricted by the allergic reaction. What about the Benadryl Meltaways?

Honestly I think in a civilian setting, I am more likely to see an allergic reaction, than a GSW even at the range. (In TX we have the added joy of fireants...)

bsimpson
03-21-09, 14:47
... 1-16g needle for chest decompression...

I hope that is a typo. If not that is bad information; you need a 3.25'' 14g needle cath for a proper chest decompression.

Paladin_139
04-14-09, 06:29
Policeone.com recently had a decent article on this.

http://www.policeone.com/police-products/medical-supplies/articles/1809743-Assembling-a-blow-out-kit-for-patrol/

LMarshall73
04-14-09, 10:37
I follow a tiered approach with my first aid gear.

1st tier - EDC (always on my person):
2 pairs of nitrile gloves
Tourniquet (TK4)

2nd tier - nearby kit (either in my laptop bag or Maxpedition Fatboy - yeah it's a murse)
3 additional pairs of gloves
50gr QukiClot Sponge
4x4 gauze pads (to fit)
Petrolatum Gauze x 2
4" Israeli Bandage
Pocket mask w/ 2 NP airways (size 28 and size 32) + lubricant
Primed Gauze x 2
Tourniquet (TK4)
AMK Ultra Light Travelers Kit (boo boo kit)

3rd tier - car bag
5 additional pairs of gloves
50gr QukiClot Sponge x2
4x4 gauze pads (to fit)
Petrolatum Gauze x 4
4" Israeli Bandage x 3
2 piece Israeli bandage x 2
SAM Splints x 2
Ace Wrap x 4
14ga x 2" catheter x 2 w/ sharps container & iodine wipes
Asherman Chest Seal x 1
Pocket mask w/ 2 NP airways (size 28 and size 32) + lubricant
Primed Gauze (to fit)
Tourniquet (CAT x1, TK4 x2)
AMK Ultra Light .9 Kit (boo boo kit)

My training:
First Responder/BLS/CPR w/ 4 years in Fire Rescue in Central Florida at a rural station with a high trauma call volume (primarily MVC's & GSW's). Also spent time as a study buddy/training dummy for multiple EMT and Paramedic classes as fellow smoke eaters went through their certification courses.

Recently attended SI's Gutter Medicine for Shooters class as a refresher.

Kimbo
04-16-09, 00:51
Another thing that was issued to our Corpsman was a blue led stylus pen light. It was used for low light or no night care to make sure there was no blood.

Barbara
04-20-09, 20:03
I see a lot of airways, but no BVMs in kits? Thoughts on adding one?

SeriousStudent
04-20-09, 22:42
I see a lot of airways, but no BVMs in kits? Thoughts on adding one?

Kit space is the reason I do not carry one in most kits. And my lips usually follow me wherever I go. (Okay, smart-aleck answer, I apologize. ;) )

I have one of those blue Conterra collapsible BVM's, but it stays in a pretty large Skedco kit, aka "Daddy's big black doctor bag".

http://www.skedco.com/detail.aspx?categoryID=2&productID=362

For something that I am hauling out on a range trip, I have just a set of NP and OP airways. Plus a 14G angiocath and a Bolin for a decompression.

The big Skedco bags has all that that, plus a set of ET tubes, laryngoscope, blades, chest tubes, etc.......

GLB
05-16-09, 18:53
Anybody use the kit from Blueforce?

Shane1
05-24-09, 09:56
You talking about the pouch or the whole kit? I FF'ed the Trauma NOW pouch a couple of months ago at class. I really like the design, ease of use etc. I hadn't priced out filling it vs. purchasing it filled since I have the contents already. The AI in the class turned me onto using a waist pack like CSM gear or Emdom as a center mounted BOK on the front of my plate carrier. I am still toying with the idea. I have a small CSM waist pouch but need something bigger for what I need to put in it. As far as the waist pouch goes, I like the idea of having it centrally located for access with either hand vs. where my kit is now. Emdom BOMB on my non firing side in the rear on a TT tear off panel.

QuietShootr
05-29-09, 23:42

http://www.outdoorknifeandtool.com/7BLKW-Hook/p/OK1015;jsessionid=24324B2F18756B246974CAEE72261622.app2-delorean

Those things are great. I've carried one version or another of a Benchmade rescue hook since 2003. Shears are great to have around, but you can zip someone right out of their gear with one of these things.

Submariner
06-10-09, 21:06
I would get a 6" Izzy with the slider, I have not seen many extremity wounds that were not through-and-through, and the slider gives you a second dressing you could even use with kerlix. Even many extremity stab wounds go all the way through. Anything the 4" can do the 6" can do and its more versatile with irregularly shaped wounds, large wounds etc.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=05132&type=store (Israeli Emergency Bandage - 6" Slider (FCP-05)
NSN: 6510-01-515-7528)

Thanks for posting this. We just received these from Chinook Medical and pulled one out to train with. A little more than a dollar in cost but far more versatile than the 6-inch with which we replaced the 4-inch. :D

Here is a pic. There is also a training video.

http://www.ps-med.com/bandage/description_fcp05.html

FMF_Doc
06-12-09, 15:59
I am actually pondering this myself, I have worked out of ambulances and aid bags for 20 years, and mostly had everything I needed at hand. So now I am looking at repacking a good trauma bag for around the house and looking at specific components carefully.

Mikey
06-18-09, 18:08
Just got this setup. Looking for an opinion on the internal layout. Would this setup make sense and be easy to locate the needed item if you were to open it up?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/rmikemcd/DSC_2668.jpg
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/rmikemcd/DSC_2669.jpg

OSOE tear away IFAK.

Tourniquet in the outside pouch.

Front lid, H bandage in the loops, In the zipper pocket, Nasopharyngeal airway w/surgilube, 14g Catheter, safety pins, duct tape, gloves.

Back lid, H bandage in loops, Compressed gauze in loops, Celox impreg. gauze in loops. Quickclot sponge in the rear pocket.

Make sense?

-Mike

uwe1
08-29-09, 22:29
I thought that the nutnfancy tutorial on youtube.com was a pretty good starting point on how to build your own trauma kits. He has some good explanations on level 1,2, or 3.

Dualspringfields
06-03-10, 09:00
This is what I have in my truck in my go-bad/oh $hit bag.

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_118&products_id=2144&osCsid=c1cb15fd3b4cfd10c2e7581e5b56047b
And two of these.
http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_118&products_id=2476
Plus scissors,extra gloves and wound cleaning solution. In another puch I have boo-boo stuff. Bandaids,stomach meds,pain releif,neosporan,iodine. Things like that.
Also have one of each that I carry in my work van. Never know when some nut is going to go nuts.

Ruffino
06-16-10, 09:40
Great info. I think the USMC kit will fill my needs.

Since you mentioned GSW treatment, I would think that a couple of packs of Quikclot should be in your kit. I have it in my medicine cabinet at home and in my go bag that I keep in my truck. I've used it several times when someone I was with got cut and was able to get the bleeding controlled very quickly. From there, it is a minor problem to bandage and get the person to a medical facility. Please note that this is the newer Quikclot GAUZE and not the obsolete powder form that caused some burns. There is no exothermic reaction with the gauze and it works very well. It is light, easily compactable in your kit and is simple to use.

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-23-10, 10:40
[QUOTE=rob_s;322249]I am NOT a medical professional of any kind....

Looking at the military kits is a good start.

the below in chart form (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsHamft6qeM9Fg)

Below information taken from here (http://www.armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/IFAK.htm)

The US Army also has a similar Individual First Aid Kit to the USMC but is extremely hard to find. The core trauma components besides the PriMed Gauze, are 2 - Emergency "Israel" Bandages and Combat Application Tourniquet instead of the Cinch-Tight and Tourni-Kwik TK-4. The Trauma Module also includes a NPA, Adhesive Tape and Shears. Both kits are ideal for long term storage for emergency preparedness or for extra supplies as the components are vacuumed sealed.

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-23-10, 15:20
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/sniperbusch/IMG_0576.jpg

Mikey
08-23-10, 15:38
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/rmikemcd/redbag.jpg

As far as what is in my bag. This is in no particular order.

The only meds I have are benadryl and a bottle of 200mg advil.
2 tourniquets
2 rolls of compressed gauze
1 large H bandage
2 rolls of celox impregnated gauze
Small roll of duct tape
1 14g catheter
1 nasopharyngeal airway
2 large safety pins
1 minor surgery kit, scalpel, hemostats, etc.
1 5-0 ps-2 suture
1 4-0 p-3 suture
4 cyalume chemlights
1 small bottle of iodine
Trauma shears
Petrolatum gauze
1 stream light stylus flashlight
1 basic, non-trauma first aid kit. Bandaids, etc.
1 hydration bladder
1 esbit stove
1 stainless cup
1 glock field knife
Water purification tablets
4 clif bars

That's all I think. The bag is a maxpedition falcon II, I think. It hold a lot for it's size and it stores well in my truck. Plus it's bright red so when I ask someone to grab "the red bag" out of my truck it isn't hard to figure out.

This works pretty well. I had to use it yesterday. Got into my leg pretty good with a chainsaw. I was able to get everything I needed to stop the bleeding in just a few minutes while my buddy was pulling the truck around.

Mike

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-23-10, 15:50
Wow Mike, that is outstanding that you have both an OSOE and a Maxpedition Falcon II, Nice Kit! Looks like you have enough room in the Falcon for more add-ins or at least an option for an emergency bail out bag.

Mikey
08-23-10, 17:21
Thank you. The SOE tear off stays on the armor and the Maxpedition bag is with me everyday. It's my bug out bag as well and has everything I need to get from my workplace to my home.

Mike

Submariner
08-23-10, 20:14
Petrolatum gauze

For what purpose is this?

If an occlusive dressing, why not a Bolin or Hyfin?

Mikey
08-23-10, 21:38
For what purpose is this?

If an occlusive dressing, why not a Bolin or Hyfin?

Because I was given a bunch of these for free, they don't take up hardly any space at all, and I haven't gotten around to buying another type of occlusive dressing.

Mike

sniperbusch@hotmail.com
08-23-10, 21:50
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=744219#post744219

Six Feet Under
08-24-10, 00:42
Here's mine:

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv89/longrange308/Gear/009.jpg

HawaiianM4
10-25-12, 01:27
I have the Adventure Medical Trauma kit. It's a good, basic low cost kit.
http://www.basegear.com/amk-field-trauma.html

I have the Adventure Medical Tactical Field / Trauma Kit with QuikClot as well. I think it is a well designed kit. I have added some standard clamps as well and a light to the bag.